Author Topic: AEA Meal Break Query  (Read 6007 times)

Maggie K

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
AEA Meal Break Query
« on: Jul 04, 2014, 08:02 am »
Hello all,
I intend to call my rep to clarify, but given they're closed for the holiday weekend I thought I'd ask for some opinions.  I've never run into this before and, honestly, haven't given it much thought until now.

I am currently working a LOA contract based on the LORT.  I have not had much experience with the LORT contract and have found it to be incredibly vague.  On the first day of rehearsal the Equity company voted to have the hour meal break.  My director/artistic director prefers the hour and a half break as it gives him more time to eat and clear his head before returning to rehearsal.  The company also frequently schedules staff and production meetings during the meal breaks, necessitating a longer break on those days to accommodate breaks for stage management and the director.  I notified the cast of these potential longer days when we met the first day.

When I mentioned that we needed to schedule an hour break for one of the days, my director told me that the Equity vote is so we have the option of an hour break but that it's not required.  I've never heard it put that way, so I looked it up in the rulebook.  In the LORT contract, Rule 51 (E)(1) states that:

"If the Theatre has no objection, the Deputy(ies) may reduce this break to one hour. This Deputy prerogative shall be exercised solely for the convenience and at the request of the company by a 2/3rds majority secret ballot vote of the Equity members of the company."

The phrase that I find interesting is "If the Theatre has no objection".  I can see how this can be interpreted the way my director has, that the Theatre can object to having an hour meal break and take the longer one instead on a per day basis. 

Given this interpretation, the fact that we are in a somewhat remote area, and the few cast members so far required to stay have expressed happiness with the longer break (there are a number of lovely areas outside the rehearsal building where people can sit and enjoy the day, walking paths, and a wonderful farmers' market not too far away) I have been leaning towards agreeing with the director.  Particularly on days when trying to maximize our time working around actor conflicts and the choreographer's limited availability.  However, one of the actors emailed me last night expressing concern about the call today as he was hoping we would be ending the day sooner (I believe this is because it's a holiday and the first day since the beginning that he has to be there for the full day).  But it raised the question in me of if this interpretation is correct or if I need to have a talk with my director about our scheduling.

So my question to you all is, how should this rule be understood?  Does the Theatre only have the right to object before the Equity vote and then the hour is required no matter what?  Or is it as my director believes, where the hour meal break is an option depending on the Theatre's needs day to day?
I like the ephemeral thing about theatre, every performance is like a ghost - it's there and then it's gone. -Maggie Smith

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
Re: AEA Meal Break Query
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2014, 09:13 am »
As you say,"If the Theatre has no objection," is the key phrase. A "Yes" vote on this issue, does not tell the Theatre they HAVE to do a one hour meal break, it simply gives them the option to do so. The actors do not dictate the length of a meal break. If the director/producer/theatre has other plans, the break can be the standard 90 minute break.

Please speak to your Rep. on Monday for an official ruling, but this is how I have understood, and implemented this rule for  the past 17 years.
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2014, 01:29 pm »
What Ruth said. My understanding is that, like the 6-hr day, the vote allows the option but does not dictate it.

Maggie K

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2014, 04:01 pm »
Thanks folks!  That's my thought as well but this is the first time I've been questioned on it.  Will definitely be double checking with the rep though  to make sure I'm on solid ground.
I like the ephemeral thing about theatre, every performance is like a ghost - it's there and then it's gone. -Maggie Smith