Author Topic: AEA - LORT - QUESTION #1  (Read 6704 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
AEA - LORT - QUESTION #1
« on: Aug 28, 2006, 12:33 pm »
I feel like I am about to begin a long series of questions of "What would you perfer?" as I prepare for a huge explosion in the numbr of people I will be hiring for next season.  (I am staring at the th calendar matrix now, and my jaw, is a little slack.)

Okay, question number one.

How would you, as a SM, be perfer to be contract for a show with a possible 1-week or 2-week extension.  As the person hiring, I would want to the contract to extend covering the entire proposed length of the run, and then just post a closing a notice.  But, I have come to realize I look at things a different way.

Would you rather a contract be to the closing day or the closing day with the possible extensions included?  How have you been contract previously?  Pros?  Cons?  (This would be both a LORT B+, non-seasonal, rep contract - for those of you interested in the details.)  I know that I will also be seeking input from Equity as well, but I wanted to hear from other SMs.

Let me know.  (Again there will be a bunch).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
Re: AEA - LORT - QUESTION #1
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2006, 12:52 pm »
I have not worked under a LORT contract, but when I have been contracted for possible extensions, the closing date on the AEA contract has always been the expected closing date.  The extension is written into a rider with language to the effect of "The Actor agrees to be available as possible for a 2 week extension from mm/dd/yyyy to mm/dd/yyyy.  Notice of extension will be posted according to AEA guidelines."

Some of the members of the cast of my current show and I just had a discussion about extensions.  They prefer the rider because they feel that the language "as possible" gives them an out should they book other work.  I prefer the rider, too, but not for that reason.  I do my personal budget and health week calculation based on the dates on the face of the contract and view extensions when they happen as a little bonus. 

However, I suppose it's really six of one, half a dozen of another.  I'm interested to know what others think. 

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2006, 02:40 pm »

Some of the members of the cast of my current show and I just had a discussion about extensions.  They prefer the rider because they feel that the language "as possible" gives them an out should they book other work. 

I think this is reason I would not want to do the rider that - I don't want to have to find a stage manager to replace for the last week or two of a run - I know it limits options, but I think at this level, I think it would be better to lock someone in from the get go.  That is what my gut is telling me - and then just post the show closing notice per AEA guidelines (or earlier) if the extension is not planned - and in my histroy, an extension is usually settled upon the first two weeks of a run.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2006, 04:08 pm »
As a freelancer, I prefer to be able to plan my life.

So, I prefer a contract consistent with the theatre's current plans at the time that they offer the contract, whatever those prospective plans might be.

I will take a firm closing date on the face of the contract (that can be changed by additional rider later when a FINAL decision is made) OR, with the original contract, a rider of "possible" extension with a clause stating that I will be notified of any extension by a certain date (this date to be agreed on by myself and the theatre, possibly an earlier date than AEA requires.)

Although I am happy to extend almost any production with enough notice,  I need to be free to actively seek (if not accept) other employment if the theatre cannot be "sure" of their schedule.

That being said, if a production intrigues me enough, I would pretty much go along with either a contract for the proposed run, followed by an early closing notice, or the rider to the original contract, as long as the production manager/producer verbally agreed to let me know "at the earliest possible moment" of their plans, and not make me wait for a closing notice to be posted or extensions riders to be printed.

>How would you, as a SM, be perfer to be contract for a show with a possible >1-week or 2-week extension.  As the person hiring, I would want to the contract >to extend covering the entire proposed length of the run, and then just post a >closing a notice
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

nmno

« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2006, 04:24 pm »
I guess part of my question would be, how often do you do the extension week...  If it is likely do the final week, then I'd say adding it as part of the contract term is understandable.  I would at least like to know that's the case.  If I'm taking a regional theatre gig, I don't expect the theatre to close the show earlier than the contract term.  Commercial theatre, long running shows - totally different, but on a LORT?  I'd feel blind-sided.

I would also think that it would change the energy on the production...  I know that if I'm working on a show and it extends, there is a sense of "Wow, we're doing really well, people like us, isn't that great!" which creates a positive mood.  When the show doesn't extend, it's not really that big of a deal (it wasn't expected anyway, poor marketing, a hard sell of a show, lots of competition for entertainment dollars, etc).  But if a show closes early, that seems a little more crushing on the spirit.  for you who works there all the time, seeing how these things really go down, it may not be an issue; but for someone who comes in and does 1 or 2 shows a season, or just someone new to your company, it could leave a negative feeling...  
Just my 2 cents.

nmno

« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2006, 04:30 pm »
as long as the production manager/producer verbally agreed to let me know "at the earliest possible moment" of their plans, and not make me wait for a closing notice to be posted or extensions riders to be printed.

I agree with this (having been victim to producers/theatres knowing for weeks what their plans would be but keeping the information to themselves until the last possible moment.)  Let us know which way things are swinging.  I understand that nothing is final until it's written and signed, but a heads up of "it looks like we'll be doing at least some of the extension week although we don't really know how much" gives me *some* information in planning my life...  It is respectful.

567Go

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2006, 11:10 pm »
I would prefer the contract be for the actual work weeks known, with the rider stating "possible" extension that is non-binding until an extension is actually contracted.  It seems the fairest way to make a commitment to those making commitments to you.   

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2006, 01:31 pm »
I pefer that they put in the rider the "offical" closing date; as well as the possible extension.
Equity says that you have to give cast two weeks notice on any schedule changes. Usually after the show opens I ask around if the extension is a possibilty.

riotous