Author Topic: Deputy on a One Man Show  (Read 7711 times)

prizm

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mikear.com
  • Experience: Professional
Deputy on a One Man Show
« on: Apr 14, 2009, 02:41 pm »
Ok before I call equity about this I wanted to hear from others, because I wants this to be a non-issue if possible. I am doing a one Man show  SPT10 (so there is only one actor and me). He has flat out refused to be deputy. I feel the deputy in a one man show is no big deal. Its just the two of us so he should come to me with issues. Am  I wrong? Does he have to be deputy? Do I have to to the deputy paperwork or can I just let that go?

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Deputy on a One Man Show
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2009, 03:07 pm »
When I did a one man show, I was the deputy, and handled any paperwork for the show.  There seemed to be no problem with it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2009, 05:26 pm »
I have also been the deputy for a one-man show and there were no problems with my fulfilling that role.
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2009, 09:49 pm »
I was once an Equity ASM on a show with about 10 people, none of whom wanted to be deputy.  The idea was brought up of me being deputy, but a call was made to Equity, and we were told that the deputy couldn’t be from stage management.  This was SPT, and a couple years ago, and maybe that position was taken because there were in fact other actors, however reluctant, to choose from.  It made sense to me that SMs not be deputy candidates, since the deputy is meant to work with stage management to resolve issues; we work with ourselves all the time, so an actor’s perspective can be really helpful.  It would also  be nice if your actor felt a responsibility to be deputy, so he could proudly do his part in making sure the rules of our union (a union which provides him with a minimum salary and a slew of other protections) are upheld.  But you already know that!  I’d be interested to hear what Equity does tell you about this situation.  Whatever the outcome, I hope it doesn’t create tension between you and the actor.
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2009, 09:54 pm »
the two one man shows I've done in NYC both requested a waiver on the deputy role (one was a mini contract, the other ended up being a special waiver from Equity that the actor/producer got after much cajoling) so I'm sure if you call the Equity offices they may have an alternate plan that will fit your situation.

The worst they could say is "No" and you'll have to be the deputy. :-/

--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2009, 11:26 pm »
You know . . . funny story . . . on my first AEA show on the west coast as an ASM, the rep recommended that I be deputy . . . and the cast voted for it . . . and there I was.  I am not sure how strict they are no Stage Manager as deputy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2009, 01:51 am »
same w me - my first asm gig I was the deputy cuz no one else on this long-running but supremely challenging show was willing to do it - and I was told in no uncertain terms by my AEA rep that altho it was preferable for the deputy to be an actor, it wasn't a requirement. And in the long run, I am grateful cuz I learned so much about my union. This was my impetus to become active and join committees and have seen how each of us can make a difference for our community. Really - it all started from being deputy on this horrific show as an ASM. So, well, go for it.

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2009, 11:57 pm »
Doing a 1 woman show right now and I'm the deputy.  There's not a whole lot to do with it and it takes some of the stress off the actress.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2009, 05:04 am »
If the actor doesn't want to be deputy - so be it!
The deputy acts as a liasion but in this situation, it's just you and him.
How much of a liasion need there be!?!

Better to have a positive relationship with the actor than force anything...
Ordo ab chao

theatrechic

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2014, 04:45 am »
Sorry to revive an old thread but I had a question regarding this very topic.

In doing a 1 man show, do I need to ask my actor if they want to be Deputy or can I just volunteer to do it? Also, do we both still need to sign the election form? Since the deputy paperwork is all online now, I'm assuming we would need to so I can have access to the forms.

Thanks for your help.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2014, 01:49 pm »
See above...
Ordo ab chao

riotous