Author Topic: AEA: E-Cigarettes  (Read 7391 times)

Melissitchka

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • brokeGIRLrich
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Current Gig: SM/LD
  • Experience: Professional
AEA: E-Cigarettes
« on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:37 pm »
Does anyone know any of the guidelines related to the use of e-cigarettes in performances?

Our theater was cited by Equity a year or so ago for using them because they weren't Pure brand, which we were told is the only acceptable brand. The props guy lied to us and now here we are, a few shows later, hoping to avoid that same issue - and hoping that Equity has since expanded what they will accept, since Pure e-cigarettes now have a blue light on the end of them instead of a red one.

I've tried searching but haven't been able to find anything about it yet. Does anyone else have experience with this? 
Cruise Ship Livin' Perk: A Whole Lot of Travel Stories - http://worldsherpa.wordpress.com/

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: AEA: E-Cigarettes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:44 pm »
I don't know of any specific rules regarding e-cigs in contracts that I've worked, but it sounds like you should get in touch with AEA directly and ask them.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:25 pm »
Again, I too have never heard of AEA rule on this . . . but contact your business rep on your contract - I would think the actor themselves would choose to use it or not . . .

I also think house, local and state rules would also specific the rules.

I have used a wide variety of e-cigs, pipes and cigars - never with an issue raised by AEA.

Where are you located?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Melissitchka

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • brokeGIRLrich
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Current Gig: SM/LD
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2014, 11:23 am »
The show is at City Center in NY.

And just to sort of round out the topic in case it comes up if someone searches it one day. The rep for our show confirmed that Pure brand is currently the only permitted e-cigarette brand since it's the only one they've done a study on.... which is a pain because the tip does indeed glow blue.
Cruise Ship Livin' Perk: A Whole Lot of Travel Stories - http://worldsherpa.wordpress.com/

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2014, 11:33 am »
Interesting, cuz I recently did a show in LA with e-cigarettes and AEA had no issues with the one we used - which looked like a real cig and had lite (water) smoke too. No idea the brand, but I know for sure it was NOT the one you used.

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2014, 01:48 pm »
I think it should be noted that, even though California fire code is strongly worded for public spaces, NYC's anti-smoking legislation has become much more aggressive in the last ~10 years.

It's not strictly AEA that regulates the content of onstage smoking/fake smoking devices; it's also that the Union ensures the contracts jell with local laws. Your PM and/or Ops Director may want to be in on the phone call to AEA, since building compliance and codes probably fall under their purview...

(That said, hazers are the second cousin of this topic, and there HAS been quite a lot of direct AEA involvement in researching and regulating that stuff for use in theaters... Maybe it's time for a thesis topic looking at this larger conversation?)

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2014, 05:33 pm »
I saw this news article, and thought that it was really important to share. E-cigs are not all created equal, and if they aren't regulated, it is tough to be confident in what they actually contain:

http://www.wgrz.com/story/life/2014/02/12/roswell-researchers-present-results-of-e-cigarette-studies/5407983/

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2014, 10:16 am »
At this time, AEA has indeed only done one testing on eCigs and eCigars and have only approved the PURE brand.
Check out the THEATRICAL SMOKE FOG & HAZE TESTING results, page 2 of 22, for the actual verification of listing.
I am in conversations with te Union, trying to get the different brands tested but testing costs money... For any of you who have used other brands and not incurred any pushback from AEA, perhaps you forgot to report the actual use and brand...?

In my opinion, it is not an accurate reflection of the current industry and the opportunities it presents BUT this is the situation. Keith Sklar at NY Equity handles all SAFE & SANITARY issues. Get in touch. Let your voice be heard...
Ordo ab chao

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2014, 11:19 pm »
Based on my reading (in the safe & sanitary section and the LORT book), I don't find it saying we have to fill out a form for smoking onstage (smoke, haze and fog effects, yes, but a person smoking, no).  If it is indeed the case that we should be, it is very unclear.  Am I missing something more obvious?