Author Topic: AEA Deputy selection process  (Read 15492 times)

JenniferEver

• New to Town
    • View Profile
AEA Deputy selection process
« on: Dec 03, 2006, 09:43 am »
I'm a non AEA SM, but I work on a lot of showcases. Oddly enough, every showcase I've ever done has already chosen their deputy before I came on to the project.

How do you typically run a deputy selection? Do all of the non AEA members have to leave the room? Do the non-equity actors also leave?

Who do they report their deputy selection to?

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
Re: AEA Deputy selection process
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2006, 10:14 am »
Yes all non-AEA people must leave the room (actors, directors, etc).

According to the rules you read a paragraph explaining the duties and then hold a secret ballot vote.

The deputy is responsible for reporting themselves to AEA and with the newly elected deputy's permission, I usually publish it in the report to the staff.

In most of my experience, the deputy election ends up being less formal.  Usually someone just volunteers.  The conversation gies like this:

Me: Ok, let's elect a deputy.  Do you need me to read the paragraph?

Actors: No.

Actor 1: I was deputy on my last show, so I don't want to be it this time.

Actor 2: I haven't done it in a while, so I can do it.

Me: Does anyone object?

Actors: No.

Me: Ok, actor 2 will be the deputy.  Here is your packet.  Let me know if you have any questions.

This, to me, seems to be standard practice for smaller productions but in larger ensemble pieces you might elect more than one deputy (one for chorus and one for principals).

cuelight

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA (UK)
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2006, 09:53 am »
Is your AEA Deputy the equivalent of an Equity Rep here or am I totally off on a tangent?

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2006, 10:46 am »
The deputy is responsible for reporting themselves to AEA and with the newly elected deputy's permission, I usually publish it in the report to the staff.

Seesms to me that publishing the identity deputy to the staff goes against the intent behind the deputy and closed elections and that asking a fellow Equity member for permission to do so is not cool.

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2006, 11:03 am »
I usually say "Okay, let's have a staring contest. Whoever blinks first, is the deputy"

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2006, 11:47 am »

Seesms to me that publishing the identity deputy to the staff goes against the intent behind the deputy and closed elections and that asking a fellow Equity member for permission to do so is not cool.

I believe this is a gray area.  Once the deputy is elected, I do not believe that it is a secret anymore.  The duty of the deputy can involve interacting with the management, therefore is no longer secret.  I would never publish the name without permission, but once the election has passed and the position accepted, it is a matter of public record.  Just like all elections.  The secret ballot is to protect the voters not the candidates.

nmno

« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2006, 12:16 pm »

I believe this is a gray area.  Once the deputy is elected, I do not believe that it is a secret anymore.  The duty of the deputy can involve interacting with the management, therefore is no longer secret.  I would never publish the name without permission, but once the election has passed and the position accepted, it is a matter of public record.  Just like all elections.  The secret ballot is to protect the voters not the candidates.

This topic has been discussed in the past.  Please refer to:
http://smnetwork.org/forum/index.php/topic,1311.0.html

Also, that Deputy Elections Instructions (that we are supposed to read before each election) states: "The Deputy should never have any confrontations with Management. After consulting with the Stage Manager, the Deputy need only communicate with the union to ensure action."  This doesn't always happen, but that's the intent.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2006, 12:22 pm by nmno »

nmno

« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2006, 12:58 pm »
Is your AEA Deputy the equivalent of an Equity Rep here or am I totally off on a tangent?

Dee, I don't know where "Here" is but to try to explain...  An "Equity Rep" is usually the term for the AEA Business Representative, an employee of AEA (ie. gets paid for that job) manages contracts for the union, interprets rules for its members, etc.
The deputy is a volunteer member of a company, doesn't have the power to interpret the rules/contract but is charged with bringing those questions to the union.  It assists in providing anonymity for the other members; an issue can be brought by a company member to the deputy, who then either assists in resolving the situation or more often, passes the issue up to stage management.  It can often act as a filter for stage management.  Usually it gets resolved at this level, but if not, the deputy can/should contact the Equity office supervising the contract, ie. NY, Chicago or LA (note: NOT company management, theatre mgmt, etc...) so that EQUITY can then contact management.  A good deputy will help diffuse a situation early, often before it even needs to come to stage management; a good deputy will recognize the difference between a legitimate complaint ("The carpenter smells of tequila") vs. the not-union-issues complaint ("The carpenter smells of garlic").

However, ANY member is still free to contact their union should their be an issue but it is best  to go first thru deputy, then stage management. 

As far as the election, usually I try to make a little joke of it "and now our favorite time...  DEPUTY ELECTION!" if I think it will go over well with the group.  I ask for volunteers...  If I don't get any, I remind them of their function, let them know that it is important to me that we are following the rules (so they know that I've got their back, they don't have an uphill battle, etc.)  If still no takers then I invite nominations...  I usually give a pass to someone if they recently deputied and had a bad experience or if they are brand new...  (NB: usually, at this point someone goes ahead and nominates themselves...) However, if they are brand new and want to do it, I'll ask someone else to serve as deputy Deputy, basically someone to help the newbie (it is a great way for a new member to learn the rules and I like to encourage that, but it can be a bit trial by fire).

Also, I usually schedule the election just before the lunch break or end of day.  It encourages people to move it along when they know that stalling is just cutting into their release.  If they are delaying rehearsal, they tend to be more chatty, stalling, not as focused on the task, asking pointless questions, etc.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2006, 01:23 pm »
Also, that Deputy Elections Instructions (that we are supposed to read before each election) states: "The Deputy should never have any confrontations with Management. After consulting with the Stage Manager, the Deputy need only communicate with the union to ensure action."  This doesn't always happen, but that's the intent.

Hmm, perhaps it's time I refresh my memory and actually read that d*mn paragraph next time  . . .

Thanks for setting me straight.  :)

nmno

« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2006, 01:58 pm »

Hmm, perhaps it's time I refresh my memory and actually read that d*mn paragraph next time  . . .

Thanks for setting me straight.  :)

;) I just happened to read it recently (to answer a question for someone) - don't know if I've ever been in an election where it has been read.  (My first time running the meeting I tried to read it and the actors all looked at me like "What is she doing?"  One of them piped in and just volunteered to be deputy before I could really read it!) 

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2006, 03:39 pm »

don't know if I've ever been in an election where it has been read. 

I've only read it once; on my first show actually.  I asked the company if they wanted me to read it, and as there were several new AEA members in the company, they asked for it to be read.  Many of the veteran actors tuned me out and proceeded to start filling out paperwork/looking at the research boards around the room. 

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2006, 04:42 pm »
I photo copy of it and hand it out to everyone and ask them to read it on their own. 

I find the limited time I have to cover the rest of the Equity business cuts down on my reading out loud time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2006, 12:22 pm »
Great discussion Guys!

Special thanks to nmno...

I never report out the name of the deputy.
Ordo ab chao

mizi5620

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 03, 2018, 11:30 pm »
If your a non AEA stage manager your supposed to leave the room too right? Do you just have the actors let you know who was elected?

VSM

• View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #14 on: Sep 04, 2018, 11:52 am »
I would say if you are a non-Equity Stage Manager, you should let the AEA members have the room, do their business and report out to you. IMHO
Ordo ab chao

riotous