Author Topic: AEA Application?  (Read 6654 times)

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
  • Experience: Professional
AEA Application?
« on: Aug 21, 2011, 09:43 pm »
Quick question. I was offered my first AEA contract (woo!) and I accepted it, but I can't find the application on the website to submit to AEA. Obviously I'll call tomorrow if I can't locate it, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to where to find it. Thanks!

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: AEA Application?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2011, 10:20 pm »
Congratulations!

I'm 99.99% positive you have to be given the application by AEA. Otherwise it would be a flood of paperwork for Equity to sift through finding the legit applications vs. every Joe Schmo actor who wanted to get in could download the application.

My lead actor in my current show just "turned" and I'm pretty sure it's something that has to be dealt with by you, your producer and the AEA rep for the show. Though his situation may be a little different since he's joining via Sister Union status (member of AFTRA and SAG), so I might be missing something for contract applicants.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2011, 10:55 pm »
Things may have changed since I joined about 6 years ago, but I remember receiving a sort of "Welcome to AEA" packet in the mail shortly after AEA had received both my copy and the producer's copy of my contract as well as the first payroll/AEA report had been filed by the producer.  The packet included the membership application as well as a pamphlet about AEA, info on health and pension, etc.  I believe it also included the sliding scale for how initiation payments would be deducted from paychecks.  You can certainly contact your rep or the membership department if you have questions. 

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2011, 11:23 pm »
I remember said packet too (3 years ago for me), but I did forget that we had an Equity representative present for our Deputy election and meeting prior to rehearsals due to the very odd (and high profile) nature of the production. They wanted to reiterate how important it was we adhere to the rules and come to them if anything was out of sorts etc etc blah blah blah. So I got my packet handed to me by an Equity Rep at that meeting. Getting it via mail seems more Equity's speed though....so maybe joining through Sister Unions allows you to by pass that part of it perhaps? hmm....

Either way, you will get a packet of information, but if you want to get an idea of exactly how it will go down call your Equity office.

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2011, 12:47 am »
Thanks, guys! I'm working with a first time AEA producer, so I think things are happening a little out of order. Glad to know which direction to be going!

Aerial

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Winter's Tale, Gamm Theatre
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2011, 01:07 am »
I also got a packet in the mail after the contracts had been submitted.  A few weeks after...  Equity moves slow.

EFMcMullen

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2011, 09:01 am »
I remember getting the packet a few weeks after signing my first contract.  However, I don't remember an actual "application".  Now it has been 14 years since I joined.  Have things changed?

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2011, 10:20 am »
What I remember was a one page form that asked for contact info, how my name should be registered, had I been a member of the EMC program, etc.  I received my actual membership card after submitting that form.  But things certainly could have changed in the past few years, so contact AEA for the specifics.

juliz1106

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: TYA Stage Manager, Marriott Theatre Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2011, 07:00 pm »
Wow.  There's an application/form to fill out now?  I simply joined the union (8 years ago) upon signing my first Equity contract, then waited for the info packet in the mail, along with my card, which assigned me my member number.  No one asked for my contact info, name, or anything of the sort, and the initiation fee withdrawal schedule was something I looked into myself because I was curious.  I did update all of my information online as soon as the website allowed me to do so (at least a year or so later as I recall), but all of that was stuff I initiated.  Glad to know Equity has become more streamlined since then (if still snail-mail slow:)).

So Bwoodbury, things don't seem really out of order at all; just old-fashioned. :)

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 24, 2011, 01:05 am »
Bwoodbury: When you get your packet of info from AEA, could you share the contents and what you had to do to register yourself with Equity? It would be pretty good to know what it entails these days.

After all, we all only enter the union once (generally speaking of course), and things might have changed since some of the more experienced members joined. I think it would be good information to store in the back of one's head if you work with someone who is joining during your production and they have questions.

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
« Reply #10 on: Aug 24, 2011, 08:08 pm »
I joined in April, and when I filled out the application it basically asked the basics -- permanent address, phone number, official equity name. Nothing too crazy or difficult from what I remember.
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim