Author Topic: Actors/Directors: Taking Photos in Rehearsal-A Disturbing Trend...or Not...?  (Read 13302 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
yes, it would either need to be in contractual language or a company policy that is posted to show that there is a policy.

most PR departments love the free press, so it always seems that some PR departments seem to turn a blind eye to it.  (And some encourage those in the show to do it . . . )

But as far as the actual photo taking in rehearsal, onstage, or in the building when actors are present, I usually defer that any photo call needs 24 hour notice, and do my "bad hair day" spiel . . . and we do have language to back that up.

Also, some directors' contracts have language that allows video taping for their use as well - but I have never been privy to that, and have been able, within my contract rules, to allow such a taping.

« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2013, 02:15 am by MatthewShiner »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
So, if an actor/director/designer takes photos without "notification," is the producing organization responsible if any claims are made, being that they did not comply with their end of the contract?  Just a hypothetical....
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Good question . . .

I think the answer is yes and no.

Quite simply, if someone was to start to take pictures without notification, and the producers allowed it , then yes.  If someone stepped in and stated, "Hey, you can't take photos without notification . .. ", and then continued . . . then, then really it's that person's fault.

For example, it's the producers' job to notify the audience not to take photos, via an announcement, program or signage . . . but is the producer really held accountable f the photos are taken still?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
So, if an actor/director/designer takes photos without "notification," is the producing organization responsible if any claims are made, being that they did not comply with their end of the contract?  Just a hypothetical....

The company i'm working for now, is just coming out from dealing with an intern posting an "innocent" video on facebook, a few musicians found out contacted the union, and finally a year later they have proven that since the company was unaware and asked that it be immediately removed when they did find out they were not liable, but it could have gone either way...

One thing we have done on this show, is posted on the callboard, that no pictures or videos should be taken or posted from rehearsal. Our deputy is very good and very serious so he has helped enforce that. The director didn't allow cellphone use  in rehearsal so that helped. Also our marketing department set up time to take "candid" pictures in rehearsal and then post them on the facebook page and that allows us to share them, due to the new LORT rules.

I think costume photos being taken is the least enforced, I try to remind people all the time but it's nearly impossible, it's obvious when people are on stage trying to take photos of the set, or backstage taking photos of the show, but costume photos can be taken everywhere and I feel like people are more relaxed about that rule.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

Josh Parkin-Ring

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Website
  • Affiliations: Equity, Stage Managers' Association, IASTE, Broadway League, Broadway Green Alliance
Ruth, this is a great topic!  This is how I handle photos in rehearsals.

I tend to squash everyone taking personal photos of show operations by reminding them of the rules.  I feel it's ok that members of the Company take candids of themselves, friends, work areas as long as no union rules or personal requests are not broken.

I provide two types of "Calls" for everything that may or may not be controlled by AEA Rules in Contracts and Codes.

PHOTO CALL AEA 24-HOUR NOTICE: I send this information when the Producer or the Creative Team are taking photos for promotion use and AEA Rules require a call to be posted.  I do not let any photos to be taken for personal use. A sample is below:
_______________________________________________________________________________________
PHOTO CALL AEA 24-HOUR NOTICE

DATE POSTED: Thursday, July 25, 2013, 5:00p

PRODUCTION: Petunia -­ 2013 FringeNYC Production
DATE: Sunday, July 28, 2013
TIME: 3:30p -­ 4:30p

CALLS: TBD

PURPOSE: For staged production photos of which will used by Behind the Elevator. Productions, Garage
Musicals and FringeNYC for promotional purposes only.

PHOTOGRAPHER: Jeff Neumann, jneumannphoto@gmail.com.

NOTICE IN ACCORDANCE WITH:
AEA Basic Showcase Code (New York City) {Page 10}
RULE 15. PUBLICITY/ADVERTISING. SECTION (E) Photos. Individual and rehearsal or production photographs
may be used for the sole purpose of publicizing and advertising this production of the play. Photographs shall not
be used in conjunction with any commercial product offered for sale without the prior written authorization of the
Actor and of AEA.

Thank you,
~josh
Josh Parkin-­Ring, Stage Manager
Petunia -­ 2013 Fringe NYC Production

_______________________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO CALL COURTESY NOTICE: I send this information when the Producer or the Creative Team are taking photos for production reference , promotional and/or Bible Photos.  A sample is below:

PHOTO CALL COURTESY NOTICE

DATE POSTED: Thursday, July 25, 2013, 4:45p

PRODUCTION: Petunia -­ 2013 FringeNYC Production
DATE: Sunday, July 28, 2013 - Monday, July 29, 2013
TIME: By scheduled appointment

CALLS: Designer will be in contact with cast members for appointment times.

PURPOSE: The Costume Designer will be taking photos for the Wardrobe Bible to maintain the show.

PHOTOGRAPHER: None.

NOTICE IN ACCORDANCE WITH: No AEA Rule.

Thank you,
~josh
Josh Parkin-­Ring, Stage Manager
Petunia -­ 2013 Fringe NYC Production

Branden

• Contributor
    • View Profile
I'm torn on this.

Using social media to talk about the process of creating a show really gets people interested in this show, and the fringe marketing like that is super successful.

Then again, paying a professional photographer to come in to capture those kind of 'in process' images would get costly.

I suppose if it get butts in seats, it's all right, so long as it isn't embarrassing or demeaning to anyone's character.
Branden Scott Stewart

"What's next?"
-The West Wing