Author Topic: "You're the One that I want" reality show  (Read 11772 times)

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
  • Experience: Professional
"You're the One that I want" reality show
« on: Jan 12, 2007, 11:42 am »
I am curious how AEA is dealing with this "You're the One that I Want" reality show.  I heard from one source I have that the show had to give Equity the "first right of refusal" on the parts of Sandy/Danny, and that they had to hold an entirely separate Equity audition. So does this mean that it is possible the entire show is a set up, and that they have actually already cast Sandy and Danny from the Equity auditions and that those actors are just "playing along" with the reality TV show idea (e.g. the actors were cast, but then they had to go to LA or Chicago and "pretend" to audition like everyone else.)  Would this sort of situation be possible?  If this is the case, wouldn't this cause a huge ethical mess since the show is claiming that it will be cast off audience votes?  Or does the show have some special arrangement with AEA?

Does anyone have any insight into this?  As I said, I'm just curious!

Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance
Re: "You're the One that I want" reality show
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2007, 02:21 pm »
According to this article on playbill.com, it appears that the producers were required to hold EPAs that were not videotaped in addition to the open casting calls that were held in NYC, Chicago, and at "Rydell High."  Anyone called back from the EPA or the open casting call has to be willing to participate in the show.  Based on this, I gather that there are a first set of auditions that will not be aired, but the actual actors who make it on the show as finalists and the ones who ultimately win will be legitimately chosen by the viewing public.

Personally, I can't bring myself to watch the show.  It just doesn't seem quite right to me.  Though it seems to be selling well--they've already done 1.3 million in advance ticket sales.   

ORTaurean

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2007, 02:45 pm »
I felt the need to watch, to see the mockery or faces I know (I'm in  Chicago).  Apparently Chicago sucked and they cut that segment to 40 or so minutes.

Anyway - all the ones that made it past singing and a minor dance audition are going to Grease Bootcamp.  Where you really work it.  Maybe Debbie Allen will show up and beat the floor with her staff.

So - these auditions are in no way what would be considered normal (besides the cameras and "prize"), your call back is a workshop, not a second chance.

Still - I'm intrigued and disgusted all at the same time.  Then I think, what actor doesn't want to be exploited and seen by millions for a chance at fame or a budding career? 

And is Stage Management being hurt by this?  Yes and No - the stage manager must be for TV, not the stage, right?  We never see one...  Show us the real behind the scenes, not a crybaby who wants the part because his brother never could.
Acting is standing up naked and turning around very slowly.
-Rosiland Russell

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2007, 11:15 pm »
Hmm...that's an interesting article. 

I watched the show on sunday. I would compare it to a gruesome car accident that you drive by -- you don't want to watch, but for some reason, you can't take your eyes off it.

I guess the nerdy musical theatre geek side of me one out over the rational, I have better things to do side.  =)
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

nmno

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2007, 12:09 am »
And is Stage Management being hurt by this?  Yes and No - the stage manager must be for TV, not the stage, right?  We never see one... 

Stage Managers usually aren't part of the audition process so it's not like an SM is out of a job...  I know the PSM and I can confirm that he is not involved in the NBC show, nor does he want to be.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2007, 12:05 pm »
My understanding is that casting is not complete (since someone I worked with recetnly was apparently ging in for a Rizzo callback the other week.  The same actress had refused to be on the reality show when they wanted her for one of the Sandys.)

As far as reality shows about theatre are concerned, I much prefer "My Bare Lady" (though it's editing is crap).

And as far as reality shows with actors, nothing beats the orginal "Joe Schmoe", which was a tour de force of interactive theatre techniques.

Joshua S.

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Production Manager - Mason Gross School of the Arts
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2007, 12:56 am »
While I don't really support the idea of this show in general, I now have to watch it since a good friend of mine who was in my production of Die Fledermaus that I SM'd last spring made it through the Chicago auditions and is going on to the "Academy."  Go Suzanne!!!

angelofmusic1781

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2007, 11:46 pm »
I recall seeing the EPA post late last summer or early fall.  I do think it said that anyone being considered for Sandy or Danny would have to then be part of the contest on TV and they would have to sign paperwork.  I am sure this took a lot of planning between the network, producers, AEA, and SAG.  It is an interesting idea for a show, but it would be nice if the show somehow explained more about what AEA is and what it is like to be a professional performer.  I assume that when cast they will be required to sign an AEA contract.  I wonder if understudies will be cast from the show as well?  In theory if they don't work out a replacement EPA call could be held.  It would be interesting to hear from the other cast members who are already AEA members and got cast in a traditional way.  What do they think?  Anyway very interesting topic.

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:19 am »
I wonder if understudies will be cast from the show as well?

I bet not -- understudies, covers, and swings all need to be experienced professional actors IMHO.

centaura

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2007, 05:05 pm »
It is an interesting idea for a show, but it would be nice if the show somehow explained more about what AEA is and what it is like to be a professional performer.

I refuse to watch anything reality-tv, though I can see where the producers thought it would be a sure fire way to get advertising.  I really doubt that they will bring up AEA at all - that would be educational, which is not the goal of reality tv.  As for showing what its like to be a professional performer - my guess is that they will concentrate so much on the drama, diva fits and bad actors that they will probably reduce the public's opinion of performers even more.  Which is a shame for all the honest, hard-working performers out there that already struggle with the public's perception that they're spoiled brats. 

I just wish that the taste for reality tv would fade and we could get back to the days where good writing, performances, directing, etc. made a show popular verses glorifying negative human behavior.

-Centaura

OldeWolf

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT, SMA
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2007, 06:20 pm »
From your mouth to God's ears, Centaura. UN-reality tv makes my hair stand on end. The cattiness, the producers' propensity for pushing people to their limits and giving them every opportunity to show their worst sides...sigh. I just don't understand the fascination people have. Shadenfreude...not for me.

Owen

I just wish that the taste for reality tv would fade and we could get back to the days where good writing, performances, directing, etc. made a show popular verses glorifying negative human behavior.

-Centaura
All the world's a Stage...

smsam

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:38 pm »
Its interesting, in the UK we have already been through all of this with the casting for the new west-end version of The Sound of Music, where BBC 1 (one of if the most watched UK channel) produced a program called "How do you solve a problem like Maria?" to cast the Maria. I'm not sure how much press it got over in the US (if any at all) but it was fairly big over here and prone to some damning criticism and complains from parts of the theatre industry! The judging panel was fairly impressive being chaired by composer and producer Andrew Lloyd Webber assisted by theatre producer David Ian (also a judge on 'The one that I want') and John Barrowman. Ian and Lloyd-Webber co-produced the show.

Our Equity laid down a few ground rules which the show agreed to and these basically said that none of the contestants could be humiliated etc. in the Pop Idol style of Simon Cowell so as not to harm the possible future careers of the entrants. Funnily enough however all of the contestants who ended up being finalists (last seven or something) actually were already actresses or had some sort of formal training from a drama school! The girl who won, Connie Fisher, had trained in Musical Theatre at Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts where she gained a first class BA in Musical Theatre and the girl who came second, Helena Blackman, had trained for two years at Guildhall School of Music and Drama and had worked as a performer for Disney!

A good friend of mine is working on the Sound of Music at the moment and its a fantastic show. Connie is great, she has a great voice, she can dance well and she can also act! I also was ASMing on a show with Helena Blackman just before Christmas and she is equally good and a really nice person! A way had been devised however to ensure the final finalists were of high quality and to allow the public to make the final choice via telephone voting... Each week the two with the lowest votes would be put in front of Lloyd-Webber who could then decide which one to keep! Therefore until the very final show (where ALW had made sure there were two good contestants who would both do fine for the show) all the power wasn't handed over to the voting public at home!

The show received massive advance ticket-sale bookings and is sold-out for months! Its also, been reported, that its got a lot more people going to the theatre (musical theater) and given theatre some more prime-time press in the UK which is never a bad thing! So despite all the criticism and the fact that the actual program was reality-rubbish I think it was a good concept and I'm pleased that in the end a professional/ trained actress was awarded the role, just going to prove the worth of training!

I'm not so sure however about the quick succession of new similar programs. Later this year David Ian and Andrew Lloyd-Webber will go head to head launching to different shows that will be aired at the same time of TV to try and cast the principals in Grease (Your the One that I Want - UK) and a revival of Joseph and His Amazing Technicolored Dream-Coat (Any Dream will Do). The difference being this time that in Your the One that I want they are searching for both the principals and in Any Dream Will Do they are searching for most of the cast including, last time I heard, ensemble!! This could be to the severe determent of the final shows produced because often, I think, skillful performers can carry a bad apple (for example if the Danny they cast was poor) however a whole company cast by the public... Time will only tell how the sequels go-down, on television and on the stage!

Sam x
Sam x

TechieWench

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2007, 01:44 pm »
My friends and I were wondering if the show will have another season like it does in the UK. What other musical would have a popular following among a young audience the way Grease does? Any ideas?

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2007, 02:43 pm »
TechieWench: how about Little Shop of Horrors?

I continue to watch this show (I admit it, I'm a fan) and I was wondering how they get those big props onstage for the opening number.  It doesn't look to me like they have room in their entrances for the bed or the car.  Either I'm wrong, or the props come in two pieces and hook together on stage, or their stage is actually on a lift.  But if they had a lift, I'm sure they would use it more - I'm getting pretty bored with the set as it is.

I may be the only one at SMNetwork who likes this show, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.  I want Max and Ashley on Broadway!   :)
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

TechieWench

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 27, 2007, 09:39 pm »
I also thought about Peter Pan. That would probably attract an audience and they could look for a Peter and/or Wendy and/or Hook.