Author Topic: What Kind of SM are you?  (Read 8395 times)

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
  • Experience: Professional
What Kind of SM are you?
« on: Aug 04, 2011, 05:29 pm »
I've done some searching on different ways to phrase the subject and couldn't find anything, so here goes.

I start my Workshop musical next week. I popped into the theater that we'll be in, since the set was already in place from the main show we'll be performing with in rep. After checking it out and taking some notes, I spoke with the Prod Manager about how I was looking forward to working with my new director. She and I had spoken on the phone several times and she seems very "no nonsense" - and I'm excited about that.

The PM turned to me and said, "Well, you are a Director's Stage Manager. Every director says they love working with you."

A part of me wonders if that's a bad thing - as his tone was a bit odd, but part of me thinks it's a good thing. I like to adjust myself and my style to make it work more with the director's style and energy. My director last year was very "Berkeley" - shorts, flip flops, earthy - and I found myself mimicking him in dress, attitude, coffee selection, mood - and we were worked unbelievably well together. And we both had a lot of fun in the process. (He ended up using me as an AD from time to time too.)

I know there are SM's out there that have a style that is there's all the time and never changes. So if I'm a "Director's SM" - what style are you and why?

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: What Kind of SM are you?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2011, 10:56 am »
I try to be an the production's Stage Manager, which in a lot of ways means I am on the producer's side, but not always.  I always strive to be an advocate for the person or persons who are not in the room.  For example, in rehearsal, speak up for the designers.  In production meetings, speak up for the actors.

I think I have a fairness and equality that comes across in how I deal with people the does not come across like I am siding with anyone - I don't think I get labeled as a "actors" stage manager or "directors" stage manager - but, I do get high marks from both - but ultimately, I work for the producer - I want to keep the director happy, keep the actors happy, but I want to keep the producer thrilled.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2011, 03:40 pm »
I call myself a "Mommy Stage Manager," which is ironic, as I never intend to have kids. 
I take care of people.  I make sure that everyone has what they need to do their jobs, and that they know they can come to me if there are any problems.  This isn't just cast, but designers, directors, and crew, as well.
Sometimes what someone needs is a walk outside with someone to listen to venting, a piece of chocolate, a hair tie, someone to go to bat for them with someone else, a reminder not to forget their cell phone, or even a swift kick to the pants or to be left alone to sulk in their room.  And I can provide all that.  I find myself adapting my role, not just from show to show, but from person to person in any given show.
Also, as "Mommy," I'm ALWAYS the one who just rolls her eyes and goes for the figurative paper towels when everyone else is crying over the figurative spilled milk.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2011, 05:46 pm »
I have been yelled by a producer at for being an actor's SM - cuz in this venue the actor's protection is so vital - and I have also been told I am a director's SM, but I have producers who request me too, because I always try to see things from the producer's side when I have to justify or explain something that needs to happen.

I do try to remember, actors and SMs are fellow-members of AEA and, at least in theory, the "moms" /caretakers on the actors' team, even when they don't get what we do....
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2011, 09:08 pm by loebtmc »

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2011, 08:45 pm »
I come at stage management from the production/theatre-management side of things, and I often find myself defaulting to that position, which I suppose makes me a producer's stage manager.

I do have 2-3 directors who request me, but they're unusually idiosyncratic as directors go, and in all cases they're people who I've been able to pull out of the fire at least once thanks to having strong relationships with producers.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2011, 12:07 am »
The boys (and yes, it was all-male- 22 of them!) on a recent show I sm'ed called me Wendy, because I was looking out for my Lost Boys. I'm probably a mama SM- looking out for the best solution for everyone (cast and crew), 3 steps ahead or so, making sure everyone has what they need and then some, but laying down the law and being tough when I need to.

(With this show in particular, I was doing all my regular duties PLUS giving haircuts, putting initials in jockstraps (!), sewing errant buttons, etc. I DEFINITELY felt like I was leading the Lost Boys!)
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

BlueRidgeSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2011, 11:33 am »
Since I'm primarily involved in community theatre, I am not really used to the whole "producer" dynamic.  I have several directors who almost always request me for their shows.  It's rare that I SM a show for a director I've never worked with before - I'm not doing it at all this year and so far have no plans to do it next year (though I am currently only booked through February of 2012).

I have had actors make numerous comments to me whenever I go see a show I am not involved with that they wish I was SM for the show.  I once had a parent who was a spot op for the first time with me see me in the audience prior to a show and come down out of the spot tower to tell me personally that she had no idea how good I was until she worked with a different SM and that she hoped I'd be doing her next show. 

So that makes me an actor's SM?  Or a director's SM?  I have no idea.  :)

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2011, 11:49 am »
I once had a parent who was a spot op for the first time with me see me in the audience prior to a show and come down out of the spot tower to tell me personally that she had no idea how good I was until she worked with a different SM and that she hoped I'd be doing her next show. 

If that ever happens to me, my career will be complete! :)

amandajoSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Amanda Jo - Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Current Gig: An Amusement Park
« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2011, 05:09 pm »
I've always appreciated being referred to as the "Babysitter SM."  Put simply, the director and designers all trust me with their "baby" and the cast/crew respects and acknowledges my leadership. All the while I'm looking out for the good of the show, as well as each individual involved (on AND off the stage).

Although I feel that I have been turning into more of an "Animal's SM" as of late. The past year I've been working on a show with approximately 40 animals in it and during each rehearsal/performance, I'm constantly striving to protect their training and safety. (And, of course, having a BLAST doing it!!)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2011, 05:22 pm »
There are sm's who when push comes to shove will tend to side or stand up more strongly for one group or another ... If you work with a specific director a lot and tend to side with him and his needs, you may get the reputation of being a director's stage manager.  If you are constantly protecting the actors and speaking up for their needs more then other's you may get stuck with a rep of being an actor's stage manager.  You can be a stage manager who is always siding with the producer or general manager, and get that rep.  At the end of the day, it's a personal choice and style - and we could debate all day which one is right.  I hate the "mother" label because it tends to put out there there are children who need to be taken care of.  On the flip side, I get called "father" a lot to the productions I work on - go figure. 

Still - I hate anything that belittles a group of people.  My two cents.

Everyone has their own style, just be aware of how you read and who you might be leaving out.

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2011, 07:56 pm »
I am a production stage manager. I like to believe I will stick up for what I think is best for the show, as a whole, whether that is the producers thoughts, the directors, the techs or the actors that need supporting. It did polarize a few people (there are many directors who don't like being told no), but I think it also garnered a lot more respect than if I was to favor one group. I have always felt closer to the techs than the actors though - once a black shirt, always a black shirt.

I am not the mothering type (or rather the fathering type) although I have sat through a number of 4 hour phone calls at 2 am in the morning when an actress or actor has called me up in tears due to some foible of the heart or positive pregnancy test (still happens to this day with a couple of actors I have worked with and I am not even an SM any more).

The biggest compliment I have received, I think, came from a director that I really did not see eye to eye with - I thought he was a danger to the cast and was asking the impossible, I would routinely pull him out of the rehearsal room and argue with him. At the breakup party, he pulled me aside and basically told me that he didn't like me, that I was stubborn, insubordinate and at times a real &#*@, then he thanked me and asked me if I was free to work on his next 2 shows. (I of course shook his hand, said sorry, not available and walked away)

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2011, 11:37 am »
Coincidentally, last night after finishing tech, a lighting designer I've done a few shows with said "You're really a tech SM. Thanks for that." So maybe I have to amend my previous statement...
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 11, 2011, 12:56 pm »
Here's the real secret .... You need to be the actor stage manager to the actors, to the director stage manager to the director, the Producer's stage manager to the producer, you need to stand up for the production when it needs a voice, a tech stage manager when push come to shoves, a mother when someone needs mothering, a father when someone needs fathering, a stern manager when someone needs discipline, a benevolent manager when a soft touch is needed - and do all these without seeming two ace, or eight faced . . . Or whatever the case might be.

Stage Management is not easy.

crazychicksj

« Reply #13 on: Aug 15, 2011, 04:54 pm »
I've been refered to as a "Mama Bird" Stage Manager. I do a lot of hand holding with first time participants (this is educational theatre) but get sterner the longer someone has been on a project or active in our theatre. It's that balance between "Mommy Manager" and "Disciplinarian" that works well for this venue. I want to see everyone soar on their own, but sometimes they need the push to be a bit more gentle. I also tend to be the one doling out hugs and words of encouragment compared to some of the other SMs I work with. Not that their styles are bad, I believe all of them are very talented and capable human beings. I'm just somewhere in between their extremes.

In our particular setting it works great because we each mesh better with a different director and it keeps the conflict down.

jaslada

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #14 on: Aug 16, 2011, 02:18 pm »
I've been reading all the posts- trying to decide how I would define myself...I agree with Matthew Here's the real secret .... You need to be the actor stage manager to the actors..... and do all these without seeming two face, or eight faced . . . Or whatever the case might be. I did have an actor recently tell me how happy they were to see me at the table. I like to think I take care of business...