Author Topic: What did you learn today?  (Read 24539 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
What did you learn today?
« on: Jul 16, 2010, 01:31 am »
I am firmly of the belief that a day is not wasted if I learn something.  With that in mind, I thought it might be nice to share tidbits that we've all learned over the course of our various days.  It doesn't have to be theatre related, it can be anything - but just one thing.

Today I learned that squid are an endless source of comedic opportunities.  How about you?

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Re: What did you learn today?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2010, 01:40 pm »
That I can't do a thing to my hair when it's very humid out.

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2010, 02:13 pm »
That Babe Ruth was sold to the NY Yankees (from the Boston Red Sox) to finance the original production of "No, No Nanette" and it is possible that theatre is responsible for the so-called "curse of the Bambino" and Boston's 86 year losing streak...
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2010, 04:28 pm »
Even if you're perfect for the job, it doesn't always mean you'll get it  :'(

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2010, 07:42 pm »
$1.00 slice of pizza is an amazing thing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2010, 08:39 pm »
$1.00 slice of pizza is an amazing thing.

Sometimes.  Other times you taste it and learn there is a reason for it being $1.00  ;)

And on my end last night I learned that Blockheads at New World Plaza closes at 11:00 on weekdays  :(

Today I learned that the crepe place that opened in my neighborhood out here in Woodside is pretty delicious (I got a savory crepe with mozzarella and basil oil, and am contemplating going back for a banana & Nutella one for dessert)

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2010, 10:00 pm »
Today I learned that headsets, when they become sufficiently old, will quite literally shatter when dropped from surprisingly low heights.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2010, 11:34 pm »
And on my end last night I learned that Blockheads at New World Plaza closes at 11:00 on weekdays  :(

BLOCKHEADS is right above my theatre . . . what were you doing in my neck of the woods.  Maybe it's time for SMNetwork NYC Gathering????
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2010, 12:36 am »
Blockheads is the standard get together place for me and a good friend of mine who's one of the swings in Billy Elliot.  You can't beat the prices on their frozen margaritas.  However, now that we've learned about this 11:00 closing we won't be able to hit it up as often since her show doesn't come down until 11:00.

And even though it's just past midnight, I have already learned something for today.  The Duane Reade in my neighborhood is now a 24 hour store  :)

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2010, 02:13 am »
I learned tonight that even though I may sometimes dread "sewing projects" to help my friends get their restaurant together, once I get started, I get really into it. The problem is just getting over the "I don't wanna" hump. This is probably true for a lot of things.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2010, 02:13 am »

BLOCKHEADS is right above my theatre . . . what were you doing in my neck of the woods.  Maybe it's time for SMNetwork NYC Gathering????

I had lunch there last Monday!

I think it may be time for a meetup!
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2010, 09:29 pm »
[Maybe it's time for SMNetwork NYC Gathering????

I was thinking the same thing the other night! Meetup would be great.

As for my learning...my current show has a deaf lead actress, so I am learning bits of sign language every day! Today it was "awkward," "drunk," and "kiss."
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Sarah

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Noises Off
« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2010, 12:47 am »
I learned that you can fit 350 million of our suns inside the star Antares.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 18, 2010, 01:10 am »
Today I got a letter addressed sent to me at the theatre (addressed to the Stage Manager) with a very polite letter requesting a copy of our Playbill signed by the cast.  This was the first time that I've gotten this kind of letter, though I know it is fairly common place for bigger productions, and I learned that it feels good to know that I'm going to be making some fan's day when they receive a playbill in the mail in the near future.

This letter, by the way, came from somewhere in Alberta, so it's also cool to know that my show has fans from that far away (though I'm guessing this person is primarily a fan of one of my cast, who happens to be a Tony winner from a certain musical that opened in 1996 and ran for quite a few years.  We had a few audience members at our first preview last week who came from Tennessee and planned their NY trip specifically for our show and the chance to see him, so that was really cool seeing their reaction when he came out to meet them after the show).

nmno

« Reply #14 on: Jul 18, 2010, 02:33 am »
[Maybe it's time for SMNetwork NYC Gathering????
As for my learning...my current show has a deaf lead actress, so I am learning bits of sign language every day! Today it was "awkward," "drunk," and "kiss."

And who hasn't had the "awkward drunk kiss"... :)

riotous