Author Topic: Vacation Suggestions  (Read 7131 times)

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Vacation Suggestions
« on: Jun 08, 2010, 03:54 pm »
Hello all,
So I am looking to take my first vacation in...6 years or so...this winter.  I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions - they don't necessarily have to be theatre-oriented vacations, but I am looking to see what folks like myself enjoy when taking a few weeks to breathe.

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
Re: Vacation Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2010, 04:31 pm »
Can you give us more info about what you might want?  For example:

1) do you want to fly somewhere or drive?
2) do you want to stay in the country or leave it?
3) do you want something mellow and relaxing or high energy/physical?
4) do you like warm weather or cold?
5) are you a throw everything in a backpack and see where the world takes you, or do you like everything completely planned?
6) what type of travel/accommodations do you like?  Are you a local bus and hostel type person or a first class air and 5 star hotel kind of person?

Everywhere you go is a little different, so knowing what you are looking for will help us recommend somewhere.

(Can you tell I love to travel??  ;))
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2010, 12:06 am »
1) - 4): It doesn't really matter, as I am open to everything.
5) +6): I do prefer to plan ahead (although not too much) and prefer a good hotel.

I am totally open to every suggestion and like hearing about different options.

nmno

« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2010, 12:20 am »
Just went on my first cruise this past year...  I'll say, there was something nice about having nearly everything just planned out for me (eg, dinner seatings, excursions) especially when so much of my job/life is about me organizing everyone.  But I also spent a fair amount of time saying, "nah, I'll just sit by the pool today..."

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2010, 02:11 am »
London is about my favourite non-lying-on-a-beach-with-a-book holiday spot - I don't get there as often as I'd like (I'm about as far from London as it's possible to be!) but that does make it all the better when I get there.  You never run out of things to do, even if it's just sitting in Covent Garden watching the buskers, plus if you decide you do want to go to the theatre you have lots of options!

killerdana

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2010, 02:31 am »
Is there some place you've always dreamed of visiting?  If so, go there.

I'm slowly making my way through my dream list of travel destinations.  This summer it's Italy.  I'm a big believer in going wherever your heart leads you (though I'm also a big fan of Maui).
Science without art is sterile.  --Albert Einstein

ChaCha

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • http://www.performinglineswa.org.au
  • Affiliations: Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2010, 10:56 am »
Valetta
ChaCha

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2010, 11:08 am »
Novia Scotia is always beautiful, and isn't that from New England.  Unfortunately there is no longer a ferry from Portland (or anywhere in the US), but it could be a fun road trip.

I love Belize, particularly San Pedro/Ambergris Caye.  It isn't far from the US, it has a little of everything (snorkeling, jungle, beaches, good food), everyone speaks both English and Spanish (and usually French Creole), and both local currency and the US dollar are accepted universally.  It is incredibly peaceful, and except for the fire dept, there are no cars on the island, only golf carts and bicycles.

If you want to stay in the US, Telluride, CO is one of the most beautiful places on earth, especially in the summer.  It is a place both with just mellow little boutiques and cafes and hardcore hiking and outdoor activities.  Telluride is also about a 2 hour drive from Mesa Verde cliff dwellings and the four corners, so it makes a good day trip.

Where ever you go, have a wonderful trip!!
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #8 on: Jun 09, 2010, 07:21 pm »
I spent New Year in Dublin and it was fantastic. Jury's Inn (the one at the Custom House Quay) was a great great great hotel.

Also Vancouver is amazing. Last Labor Day I did a road trip that started in Seattle and went up the coast and to Vancouver (and then back). Highly recommend that trip too.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

Counter Cross

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 09, 2010, 11:36 pm »
 For some reason it is very, very cheap to go to Ireland now!  There's a great site - travelzoo.com where you can browse tons of deals.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2010, 05:18 am »
Maui.
Hands down, Maui...
Ordo ab chao

brandiwb

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: directing The Lion in Winter
« Reply #11 on: Jun 10, 2010, 09:10 am »
Stratford-Upon-Avon

Everytime I go to England I find myself going back there.  Great places to eat and stay, quiet, laid back, opportunity to see great theatre if you want, and with plenty of things to explore in and around the area.  I never tire of it.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #12 on: Jun 10, 2010, 10:05 am »
The last big vacation I took was Germany and Prague. Gorgeous, not too touristy (but enough English that I could navigate), great history. Also, I was able to go to the theater and the opera in both countries, which was a thrill for me.

And within the US....I love going to Austin. Very laid back, lots of live music, just a lot of fun!
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2010, 01:31 pm »
Most of the time I use vacations to visit friends, so I'm somewhat outside the tourist scope of things, but some of my favorite cities to visit friends in include Memphis, Kansas City, and St. Louis.  All three of those have some great dining and fun attractions, though their summer weather can be unbearable, especially if you are not a fan of humidity.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #14 on: Jun 11, 2010, 02:03 am »
Stratford-Upon-Avon

Everytime I go to England I find myself going back there.  Great places to eat and stay, quiet, laid back, opportunity to see great theatre if you want, and with plenty of things to explore in and around the area.  I never tire of it.
Or, if transatlantic travel is out of your budget, Stratford, Ontario, which offers some of North America's best theatre, pleasant scenery, Japanese tourists and a twee main street containing no less than three Ye Olde Fudge Shoppes.

riotous