Author Topic: useful websites for life  (Read 4439 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

bkrst275

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
  • Current Gig: Opera
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: useful websites for life
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2014, 01:55 am »
Awesome link! Thanks! Let me just add that ifttt.com (the last item on the list) is absolutely fantastic and I encourage anyone reading this to make an account and play around with it for a while. I was recently assigned to do a presentation on this service and I am so happy I found this. I would tell you what it does, but it does a million different things with texts, phone calls, news websites, email, Facebook, Twitter, and a whole lot more. Just give it a look, play around with it for 20-30 minutes.

bpaige

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Website
  • Affiliations: EMC for AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2014, 01:12 pm »
This is also a useful list of websites.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicaprobus/33-amazingly-useful-websites-you-never-knew-existed

I've been using http://sleepyti.me/ quite a bit before this site. It helps during tech for sure!

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 02:00 pm »
Unroll.me can pare down your inbox a lot, and is amazing, and Mint.com helps me budget like nothing else.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 03:26 pm »
I'm a big fan of Lifehacker.  I sometimes feel like Matthew and I are in a competition to see who can post the most Lifehacker articles.

As an aside noticing the link below - be wary of Buzzfeed, it's really a pretty worthless site from a content perspective (some NSFW language on the video within the linked site).
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 07:49 pm »
So I know that in these digital times, everyone has a smartphone in their pocket and wifi access all over everywhere. But if you ever need to go old-school, here's a tip:
Auburn University (my alma mater, full disclosure) has something called the Foy Help Line, and you don't have to be an Auburn student to use it. You can call them, 24/7, from anywhere in the world, and they will answer any question you ask them. At this point it's basically just people Googling things for you, but it started back in the 70's with phone books and Encyclopedia Brittanicas. They'll give you directions, look up a phone number, or tell you who won the 1983 World Series. They've been featured on Oprah and The Today Show as one of the "5 numbers you HAVE to have in your cell phone."
The number is 334-844-4244. Use it wisely, friends!
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 11:53 pm »
Love this - how very "Desk Set"!

riotous