Author Topic: Two Dopey, But Obvious, Questions  (Read 5630 times)

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Two Dopey, But Obvious, Questions
« on: Feb 04, 2011, 02:58 am »
1) I'm sure you've seen a production and wished it was yours. Care to tease out one or two especially good examples? What effects do you wish you'd been able to contribute to? Which productions do you wish you had a seat on? Which experiences would you have liked to help create?

2) And, at the opposite end, what's your dream show? Is there a show you'd jump at the opportunity to work on? One you're just itching to involve yourself with? One you desperately want to get your mitts on, just for the pleasure of saying you'd worked it?

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Two Dopey, But Obvious, Questions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2011, 11:00 am »
1. I just saw La Traviata at the Met -- it was so phenomenal, I cannot begin to explain. It is one of my favorite operas, and I just loved the modern take they had.

2. I have three dream shows, based on genre. My dream musical to work on is Little Shop of Horrors. My dream straight show to work on is Noises Off!. My dream opera to work on is Wagner's Ring Cycle.
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2011, 04:48 pm »
I had an answer all typed up last night. Harrumph.

1) Last summer, I saw a production of A Winter's Tale which really, really blew me away. Winter's Tale is a bear of a play, and it was mounted in a wonky space, and while the acting was solid, what really surprised me was... hrm.

I'd never seen a production of Winter's Tale that successfully navigated the Tragedy-Tragedy-Comedy-Comedy-Pathos structure in any sort of coherent way. I've never seen a production that did a great job with "Exit, pursued by a bear". I've never seen a production which didn't make me wish those damn Bohemian shepherds would shut up and get on with the play already. This production hit all of those buttons, and everything gelled beautifully. (And, truth be told, I liked the space it was mounted in, I just realize it must have been rough.)

2) The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. I would honestly move cross-country if someone offered me the gig. I haven't even seen the show (except for trailers and YouTube) and I'm madly in love with every aspect of it. (Particularly its simplicity on the production end. Designed and written for off-broadway, so it's a lo-fi show, and the actors do most of the heavy lifting...)

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2011, 12:55 am »
1) I just saw The Comedy of Errors at the Folger Theatre. Hilarious, fantastic production. Great set. Rehearsals must have been crazy. The five sets of doors with actors on both sides coordinated to change sides with only one bang! as the door shuts; then 10 seconds later, the doors bang! again as the actors change sides again was awesome.

2) I'd love to work Guys and Dolls, Fiddler on the Roof, How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, or Jesus Christ Superstar. Hmmm, all musicals. The Diary of Anne Frank.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2011, 01:14 am »
1) I was on the wardrobe crew for a production of Metamorphoses my freshman year of college, and it is still one of the most beautiful and moving pieces of theatre I have ever seen. I would have given my left arm to stage manage that show. The lighting was gorgeous, the costumes were gorgeous, the set was a freakin pool I mean come on!, the cast was wonderful, and it was directed by my favorite director that I worked with in school. I think it sticks out in my mind because I was fresh out of high school and had never seen anything like that before, but since then I have seen a lot of beautiful theatre, a lot of moving theatre, and nothing has struck me like Metamorphoses did.

2) I would love to do Noises Off! I'm a big fan of farce, and metatheatre. I would also kill for Spring Awakening, the musical version.

You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

riotous