Author Topic: The Stage Manager's Nightmare  (Read 19521 times)

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
The Stage Manager's Nightmare
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:48 am »
I'm sure most of you have heard of The Actor's Nightmare by Christopher Durang- inspired by a common actor nightmare of being asked to go on and not knowing lines, the play, or being able to locate a script.

Personally, I have two recurring stage manager nightmares:

1. I come into rehearsal and the director has changed the floorplan, the set, costumes, style, etc....generally to something ridiculous, unsafe, or both. (Ex: "Now the whole show is on ROLLERSKATES! We need a track that loops around the orchestra by tomorrow!")

2. That an actor has refused to go on because they don't like me, and the director/producer is so angry that they make me go out to the streets and find someone else in his/her place.

What are your stage manager nightmares?
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
Re: The Stage Manager's Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 12:56 pm »
My usual recurring one is that I'll show up to SM a show and find someone stuffing my into a costume and sending me out on stage for a completely different play with no idea of the plot, much less the lines.  I think my favorite variation on this dream was when I was put in a little  blue dress and white apron and sent into a fantastical woodland set.  "Alice in Wonderland!" I thought.  "I can at least fake my way through Alice in Wonderland!"  It was not Alice in Wonderland.

Though there was that one dream where I was SMing Camelot set on Mars...in the round...with audience participation...and had to call the show from a crappy monitor, three buildings over.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

jaslada

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 01:45 pm »
My nightmare: I get to the theater early- unlock and open up the backstage spaces. Pre-set is going perfectly. Lights, sound, props & set are ready...the actors are given places. I walk out the stage door, get in my car and drive to a local restaurant. I park the car. I am seated for dinner.  As the waiter hand me my menu - I wake up with my heart racing....I have had this nightmare twice....

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 02:37 pm »
(that one almost sounds like an SM revenge fantasy rather than a nightmare)

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 05:12 pm »
Twice that I can remember, I've dreamed that I'm sitting down to call a show I've never seen, from a book I've never opened before.  But that was years ago. I can't say that I dream about theatre or work at all, not good dreams and certainly not nightmares.
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 05:49 pm »
Mine are usually of the "such and such is missing, you have to go on" variety.

Though just recently I just left a production early.  The night before what would have been the next day of work if I was still on the contract I fell asleep early and woke up panicked at 10:00 pm thinking that I had not set the call time for the next day.  It took me a few minutes to even figure out where I was (I had left home that morning to visit a friend to recoup and de-stress from the tour), let alone that I wasn't about to have 13 angry actors hounding me about the next morning's call time.  I think that waking panic was far worse than any nightmare.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 07:07 pm »
Twice that I can remember, I've dreamed that I'm sitting down to call a show I've never seen, from a book I've never opened before.  But that was years ago. I can't say that I dream about theatre or work at all, not good dreams and certainly not nightmares.

I unfortunately had this happen to me in reality once- I was asked to sub in for a show, sight unseen, and when I got there they didn't have a script for me! The director wrote out "LQ1- Santa enters" etc but I had NO IDEA when anything was happening. Kept me on my toes!
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

dewitt

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Hope college dance dept, Heritage Theatre Group
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 02:41 am »
I don't have nightmares but I find that when things are a little more hairy than usual at rehearsals I will dream about the problem scene in the show over and over like an endless loop. I wake up so very tired and feel like I have worked all night long instead of sleeping. It doesn't scare me or make me any more stressed but it definitely keeps me from being well rested just when I need it most!

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 11:28 pm »
During the rehersal period (especially just beofre going into tech) I've had nightmares about having to put the show up as-is: without having done a Q2Q or called it all the way through or finished the lighting, etc. It's good to wake up from those and remeber there's still another two weeks to go.

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 01:12 pm »
Mine is always the one when I think opening night is still a few weeks away, but I show up at the theatre and it turns out it's that night. Nothing is ready, everyone is freaking out and it's all falling apart around me...then I wake up with knots in my stomach.

FallenRain

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 01, 2010, 11:46 pm »
We do an annual production of A Christmas Carol that just hit it's 30th anniversary this past season (and we've had the same actor playing Scrooge the entire time!  He's amazing :) ).  I've run the deck for it for the past 5 seasons.  My recurring SM dream, which tends to come around as I'm about to head into tech for any show.... is that I show up to work and am told that instead of doing the show I'm supposed to do we're going to do a special performance of A Christmas Carol... but we don't have the set, or the props, or suddenly instead of being on the stage it usually performs in, I find myself in an Elks lodge, or a school cafeteria.  It's a show that haunts me :)

grasshoppr84

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2010, 03:12 pm »
A few years back while I was still in college, I was SMing a rather tech heavy show that was going a little too smoothly during its pre-tech days....

the night before paper tech I had a dream that I walked into the theatre and my LD and TD were no where to be found. There was a note that said "Congrats on your opening!" from a friend and all of a sudden the house opened. People are rushing to seats and the cast is running around backstage getting ready... and I have no cues.

The next thing I know, my director comes running up the aisle with a yellow legal pad. (my director varies from dream to dream, in the first occurence it was Alan Rickman) Alan Says " {insert designer's name here} said to give you this, she/he said it's your cues. Happy Opening." The Alan leaves me in my silent panic because to my horror the legal pad has only one random number on it and nothing else. (this time it was 476)

The dream ends with me calling a show without cue placements, just a final number. So I have to guess where a cue should fall and hope I don't hit "476" too late or too early. Freakishly similar to a game Russian Roullete, but with a "go" button and no idea when a black out may hit.

I went to paper tech the next day and told my LD this dream. She found it a little too amusing and from that moment on whenever I work with her and the dream occurs on opening night we compare numbers.  (There's usually a financial wager in the mix) The closest we've been was 4 cues off.

Jill Woodward

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA, USITT, USITT-SW
  • Current Gig: The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee - Henderson State University
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #12 on: Jul 09, 2010, 05:37 pm »
I have a lot of weird dreams and nightmares, especially about shows. I'm usually really good about keeping my worries under control, until my head hits the pillow.

I just recently closed "Much Ado About Nothing" and had the weirdest dream the night before opening.

It was opening night. I get there and I cannot find our MASSIVE two-story set. I ask the scenic designer where it is and he has moved it to the other spaces (about ten yards from where we are to there, through two one-story loading dock doors) and that I have to move it back alone. So, I’m freaking out, because I can’t figure out how. Somehow, I did it.

So, we are getting ready for the show and Borachio has cat ears. I told him to take them off, because the director would kill me. And he said, no, they were for another show and he wore real cat ears on stage. Then another actor told me he was quitting. I told him he couldn’t quit and after all there were only six more shows. And he said that he was going to do another one-man showcase, because he was tired of Much Ado. However, he went on stage, so I’m assuming he didn’t quit.

The show starts and suddenly there is an orangey-red glow everywhere. When I finally figure out what it is, the entire building is on fire, but I’m the only one who is worried/freaked out. The show goes on. Suddenly, (and I was semi-conscious at this part) everything is pitch black and I’m upset because I cannot find my light op. I don’t know how to work the light board and the show is going on in complete darkness.(then I think I fell into a deeper sleep)

Eventually, the lights come back on and I notice that the fountain onstage is gushing water (keep in mind it’s only a shallow pull with half an inch of water in it normally), flooding the stage and the studio theatre. So, I have Margaret, Balthazar, Lady 1, and Lady 2 take rags and try to mop it up while in character so the show can go on, but the water keeps coming. The actors aren’t getting wet, but there is SO much water. My ASM disappeared and I couldn’t find him, but he was there somewhere. Then, our house manager was suddenly flying on stage trying to act while in street clothes and I’m freaking out, because I have NO IDEA what the hell is going on. The lights dim for a cue, but the aisle lights are on and I keep calling for them to be turned off, but they won’t shut off. We somehow survive the performance and flash forward to next week. I’m at portfolio reviews with Director and scenic designer (who are married), except they were one person.The Director is talking with the scenic designer’s voice. She tells me that I need to change my major, because I (and quote) “f***ing such” and can’t stage manage anymore.
I protest, I know I screwed up, but come on, look at what the show was like. And that I can do better. I have nothing else in my life. And she is like, “You need to leave. You don’t belong here.” And I ask her what the costume designer (another theatre professor and a great mentor of mine) thought and she was like “He’s not coming. He hates you so much that he’s not even coming to your portfolio review.”

Oh, and during this whole dream, I was hiding/being chased by my best friend and a stapler.

I woke up, crying, freaking the hell out. It was bad. I did NOT take ANYTHING. My roommate asked what aisle lights were because I kept calling out for the cue in my sleep.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #13 on: Aug 12, 2010, 10:19 pm »
I have a recurring nightmare that I've been having since the first show I SM'ed in college. I think it stems from the fact that filling in for an actor in rehearsal is my absolute least favorite part of the job, and having to potentially go on for an actor is actually my worst nightmare (a performer I am not).

My first show was a dance concert, with several pieces choreographed by a fairly well-known guest choreographer.  In my dream, one of the dancers breaks her elbow, and I have to go on for her in one of the pieces. The director keeps saying "You've been to all the rehearsals! You'll be fine!" over and over, and I keep telling anyone who will listen "But I don't even know how to tap dance..." I end up going on and absolutely failing miserably, since, you know, I don't know how to tap dance, and it ends with the guest choreographer backstage yelling at me about how I've ruined his vision.

I should maybe clarify that right before I SM'ed this dance concert, I was the ASM for a show where one of the actresses got really ill. The SM and the Director decided that the contingency plan was for me to put on the frilly yellow dress and go on for her, since her character gets kidnapped and carried around onstage for all of the second act, and the other ASM was "a little chunky." Their words, not mine. Anyways, the first time I had this nightmare, the possibility of actually having to go on for an actor was a real and looming threat. Thankfully it never happened, but I've been having the nightmare ever since.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

AdamJ

« Reply #14 on: Sep 02, 2010, 01:18 pm »
So I had one last night.... dreaming about a first rehearsal of a show i am doing next year, It was a total fiasco, the director and I had never spoken, I didn't know what was going on, actors were everywhere and I couldn't do a darn thing about it...

Edited for mild language ~T_G
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2010, 01:37 pm by tempest_gypsy »