Author Topic: Summer projects  (Read 7403 times)

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
  • Experience: Professional
Summer projects
« on: Jun 24, 2010, 03:02 pm »
So, what's rocking, this summer?  It doesn't have to be an SM gig, but if you're really excited about your current gig, let loose!  What is occupying your mind, slipping into the corners of awareness when you're eating dinner, taking a shower, or supposedly concentrating on something else?

I know someone who's trying to couch surf the entire summer (a whole year, actually) as a sociology study of people in their homes.  My husband is tackling the http://www.twohundredsitups.com/ challenge.  I'm working on creating a custom Phoenix Masquerade costume (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tempest_fae/sets/72157624197085606/) in silk and hand dyeing it.

I've been working without a pattern, and not a whole lot of experience with dye, but everything is coming out gorgeously, and it's almost done.  After the last layer of dye, earlier this week, I've got to re-iron everything, add some trim to the wings, paint the tail feathers, add the "feather shafts," put the feathers on a waistband, and wait for the corset to arrive, and it's done.  This thing has been CONSUMING my waking thoughts.

What can't you get out of your head?
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Summer projects
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2010, 03:28 pm »
I'm in rehearsal six days a week at the moment, but in my spare moments I've been coding a sort of "sim university" game in PHP/mySQL. It's mostly for my own amusement, but I'll probably release it among friends and see how it goes. It's still a good few months off, although once this show comes down I have about a month of vacation time to invest in it, so we'll see.

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2010, 03:43 pm »
I am in the process of finishing our last show of the 2009-2010 season and starting up the 2010 summer season, which opens in 2 weeks. We have The Late Christopher Bean, followed by The Foreigner.  Should be a very funny summer.

Currently though, our theatre is going through some craaaazy renovations.  Before, our dressing room space was a very tall room (the height of the building) that was also used as storage. Now, it's a finished space with tables and mirrors below, with storage space and air handlers for our new AC system above...I don't know if I could take another summer in that heat! Very exciting times.

Other than theatre, I'm living in Providence and hopefully going to the beach more than twice...that was the total for last summer unfortunately...  Maybe get some golfing and outdoorsy stuff as well.

chrrl

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2010, 04:53 pm »
My company is merging with a children's theatre company starting July 1st.  We've known about it for most of the season, but suddenly it's happening next week!  I know we'll have lots of growing pains as we figure it out so it'll be a busy and exciting summer as we prep for next season!  (I'm lucky enough to still be employed during our summer dark time).  I've been anxious to get started working on it.

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2010, 05:02 pm »
I'm all excited about my current gig. I saw the job posting here in the forums two Wednesdays ago and got the job that Saturday leaving me less than one week to quick my temporary job (I was working at a cafe), pack my stuff and move near Santa Barbara, CA. Today is my first day so I'm running a copy machine to the ground, catching up on venue information and schedule, and setting up shop for the next six weeks.

Then after all of that I have to move again down to Irvine, CA for grad school. My summer has gone from a boring 40 hour a week cafe job to being the ASM at Music Academy of the West. Woohoo!
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2010, 12:13 am »
Just plowing away at my show all summer long . . . the reality of an open ended show is beginning to settle in.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2010, 12:44 am »
BLee - are you doing the Ojai summer theater? I LOVE that place - clean air, nice folks, great atmosphere - have a blast! and congrats!

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
« Reply #7 on: Jun 25, 2010, 11:55 am »
BLee - are you doing the Ojai summer theater? I LOVE that place - clean air, nice folks, great atmosphere - have a blast! and congrats!

No, but last I heard they were looking for an equity ASM. Since I'm not equity and not ready to get my card I didn't go for it. Plus I was already up for this job near Santa Barbara at the Academy of the West festival. I'm working on the opera, Don Giovanni.
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 25, 2010, 01:16 pm »
oh yeah - there were two up there - have a blast!

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #9 on: Jun 25, 2010, 01:35 pm »
My current show closes this weekend, then I'm off to Monza/Milan to work at Special Olympics Italy (and vacation, of course!). Once I come back I'll be doing a Fringe show AND starting preproduction for my fall show, Balm in Gilead....a cast of 20 and 3 children! Just mentally preparing myself for that. :)
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

SMfairy

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Equity UK-student member, University of Cumbria
  • Current Gig: SM-The Beggar's Opera & Scenes of Love and Betrayal
« Reply #10 on: Jun 25, 2010, 04:32 pm »
I'm spending a week with the touring company of Les Mis, shadowing various technical departments. I'm then ASMing a production of Seussical and also ASMing a production of The Wizard of Oz. Very excited!!!
Does anyone have any advice on how to get the most out of these experiences, especially shadowing a professional company?

damjamkato

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #11 on: Jun 26, 2010, 03:32 pm »
I'm super excited because I'm SMing a production of Songs for a New World, which my school is taking overseas to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August.

geoffsm

• Contributor
  • If we could read minds, we wouldn't need headsets.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA (Associate), SAFD (Actor-Combatant)
« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2010, 06:51 pm »
I have been in rehearsals 10 hours a day since mid-may.  I'm PSMing my second season with this theater.  We run 4 musicals in rep all summer.  Just opened the 3rd and now we are in rehearsals for the 4th. 

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 30, 2010, 02:51 pm »
I'm going into week 3 of stage managing my first opera. It's been......interesting.

So far I have learned that sming opera isn't that scary. However working for a young company and you're the only one with production experience is scary.

After this I'm going to spend the rest of the summer reading and relaxing.

late_stranger

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 11, 2010, 01:00 am »
I have a tech internship with a local professional Shakespeare company starting in a week and I can't wait. It's killing me so much, I've actually stopped using exclamation points to describe it. Just... can't... wait...

Also: damjamkato, with any luck, I'll be doing just that in two summers! Good luck!

Don't be so reverent about reality. It's just a trick, done with mirrors.

riotous