Author Topic: Staging Shakespeare: a videogame to draw a younger crowd  (Read 3319 times)

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
http://www.stratfordbeaconherald.com/2013/03/04/staging-shakespeare-first-festival-video-game

"In the game, which is currently in development, the player is allotted certain digital assets -- costumes, props, sound and lighting cues -- with which to create a virtual scene from Romeo and Juliet.

The player earns points for successful staging it, and can then unlock new assets, as well as new stages, “levelling up” from the Studio Theatre all the way up to the Festival Theatre."
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Thespi620

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Staging Shakespeare: a videogame to draw a younger crowd
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2013, 07:10 pm »
This is so cool. A few years ago, I got thinking about ways to engage younger kids in the arts, in general, through electronics/media, and this is an interesting & promising answer. I have faith that Stratford will do its damndest to make sure this game is as true to the field as possible, while also being engaging to the youngest set.

I wonder if there's any way that the social media aspect could translate into real-life perks/rewards (voting determines someone who gets 2-for-1 tickets, get the most points for the lighting in Scene 5 and meet the LD of our first show, that sort of thing) I guess we'll have to see how the app functions. Exciting!
[The SM is] a very gifted, slightly eccentric master mechanic [keeping] a cantankerous, highly complex machine running at top efficiency by talking to it, soothing it, & lovingly fixing whatever is broken. 
-J. Michael Gillette

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2013, 11:49 am »
I wanna play this game!

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2013, 09:17 pm »
I wanna play this game!

I am following their FB page for updates...will let you all know when it launches! (I wanna play it too!)
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

riotous