Author Topic: Your ideal kit bag/box/portable hole  (Read 7455 times)

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
  • Experience: Professional
Your ideal kit bag/box/portable hole
« on: Aug 23, 2010, 02:48 pm »
There's been a lot of discussion on the boards about SM kits; what goes in them, what it contains that can do double duty, bag vs. box, etc.  I like my tackle-box kit reasonably well, though it's frakin' huge and heavy, and hence not as portable as I'd like.

Because I occasionally forget I have skills, I have just realized that as a stitcher/carpenter/leatherworker/general crafter, I could build my own kit box/bag, and get exactly what I want!

Now, I just have to figure out what that is.  And I'd love to hear everyone else's ideas.  In your ideal kit, would it be rigid or soft, pockets or individual containers of supplies?  Sections that could lift out?  Nevermind what's actually out there; imagine the perfect container for you.

Who knows, if the one I end up making for myself works out well, I could start making them for other people!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
Re: Your ideal kit bag/box/portable hole
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2010, 04:46 pm »
Between my back problems and the NYC subway system, mine would have to be as small as possible, portable, and lightweight. Probably soft, with lots of pockets/loops for things.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

late_stranger

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2010, 10:27 pm »
I would want it soft, but a little structured (like how backpacks have padding, etc), and definitely have pockets and loops on the inside and outside.

I would want a smaller, more flexible bag that fits comfortably inside it, containing only the essentials (if you're familiar with George Carlin's "Stuff" routine (you should be, it's funny), the small bag would be the "other side of Maui" bag) - pencils, sharpie, various tapes, etc.

That sounds like a really awesome project, I have to say! Have fun with it!

EDIT: All of these specs are second to, of course, the Mary Poppins/ Hermione-in-book-7 bag, but they haven't invented that yet.
Don't be so reverent about reality. It's just a trick, done with mirrors.

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2010, 02:00 pm »
I actually did this recently, although it was a tool cabinet and not an SM kit/bag.  It's made from scraps of wood.  Approx. 5' tall, 4 ' wide, 3' long, with two doors that open out.  On wheels to get it around the theatre.  Built some drawers and shelves.  It's come in pretty handy so far.  I wish I took some more time/care building it.  I had a bigger and better plan but was limited by materials since I didn't want it to cost anything. I'll have to upload a picture when I have time.

Back on topic though:
I have always wanted to build myself a duffel bag/backpack.  Definitely a firm fabric, maybe a dark digital camo (I really like the look of it for some reason) or just plain black.  Gotta have a laptop holder, spaces for the random office supplies we carry, as mentioned. Room for a spare change of clothes...

valence

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2010, 05:24 pm »
I'm currently using my old art supplies bin (mini-toolbox) which is probably 12" x 6" x 6".  It fits well in my large backpack, meaning I can go straight from classes to the theatre, but also functions on its own.  My only two issues are the hard sides, which limits the amount I can stuff in it and it only stores well in the horizontal configuration, if I stick it into my backpack vertically (the way it fits better) then things slide around.  Soft (removable?) dividers would be extremely helpful.  I'd probably also want separate compartments for pencils/batteries/post-it notes/etc (I've got a few Asian pencil cases that I use for school and theatre, and they are amazing in terms of organisation) and an external loop to hold tape.  I currently have rolls of gaff/spike/whatever tape tied together, but kept loose, because they take up too much space.

I've been eying the bags the campus EMS carry, they look like the right match of structure/softness. (something like this: http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/frontsquare/bfc0_timmys_tactical_attache.jpg except wider and not from think geek)

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2010, 09:01 pm »
As a freelancer in NYC I've spent the last few years compiling bags/etc that work for me and have found a compromise at the moment, but my ideal kit would be some heavy duty fabric with a solid bottom (kind of like an old school doctor's bag) and have pockets/loops/clips around the walls of the  interior, with zippered pockets behind that so I could slip in rulers, protractors, those sorta flat instant ice packs and other semi-flat things but still be able to look down into the bag and see all the pockets. also some pull out pencil cases/organizers would be nice to nestle in the bottom so I wouldn't have to unpack a whole bunch of things to get to something.
and but of course it would need pockets on the outside. and be made of a fashionable fabric ;)
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:45 pm »
I finally built it!

Built my own Stage Managers Kit by tempest_fae, on Flickr

Small hardware drawers on one end, a solid bottom of 1x10 with felt feet to not damage rehearsal hall floors, Elastic loops on the side to hold hole punch and scale rule, and anything else, and the open pockets are spacious and useful (I discovered, this week, that as long as neither coffee nor kit are totally full, I can put my coffee in the pocket and carry both!
It's lighter than my old kit, organized the way I want, and I built it, myself!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:54 pm »
More pics please! You know that I love that you have a space for your coffee - a MUST in my book.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2011, 02:45 pm »
My ideal kit is an office with a functioning lock and alarm system.  ;D

I'd settle for that nice piece of work, though! (Although perhaps in a maniler fabric. :P)

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:08 pm »
I considered going with straight black.  But every.  Freaking.  Thing.  I.  Own.  Is black.  I'm a little sick of it.  They grey is nice, but not SO girly a male ASM of crew member would be ashamed to be seen carrying it.

I refrained from the girly pink pirate skulls.  But I was sorely tempted!

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2011, 11:00 pm »
The Cadillac model of anything must come with a cup holder.  Nicely done, t_g!

Jlong

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2011, 04:17 pm »
I....Love....This....