Author Topic: Stage Management Handbook  (Read 7745 times)

TwoBallz1Stryke

• Tourist
  • Stage Management BFA - University of Illinois
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: University of Illinois, Level 21, Station Theatre, Krannert Center of Performing Arts, Urbana Park District
  • Current Gig: Asst. Stage Manager for the February Dance Concert with Dance at Illinois
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Stage Management Handbook
« on: Sep 06, 2011, 01:26 pm »
I'm just curious what people think is a good book on stage management. Or even a book stage managers should read, maybe dealing with communication or stress or really anything.

Any help would be appreciated.  I'm a sophomore transfer SM BFA at the U of I, and they don't use any book here for SMs. Not that I think that's anything bad, I just like reading.  :P

-------
(Edited excess font effects out for readability ~T_G)
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2011, 02:19 pm by tempest_gypsy »
~Kendall Johnson~
BFA Stage Management '14
February Dance - Asst. Stage Manager
Assassins - Stage Manager/Choreographer
Kabuki Lady Macbeth - Production Asst.
Paradises Lost - Asst. Stage Manager

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Stage Management Handbook
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2011, 02:18 pm »
If you do a search on this site you will see many discussions of people's favorite books (and even why, in some cases). That'd be a great starting point.

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2011, 03:25 pm »
I recently helped out two different people who are stage managing their first shows. These are the books I’ve read, and can recommend. If you’re just starting out, start with the less expensive ones, and work your way up as you get more experience.
  • The Back Stage Guide to Stage Management, by Thomas A. Kelly. Very detailed. $14
  • The Stage Management Handbook, by Daniel A. Ionazzi (aka the yellow book). Basic, an easy read, a very good introduction. $16
  • Stage Manager The Professional Experience, by Larry Fazio. A solid read, aimed at professionals. $58
  • Stage Management, by Lawrence Stern. A great book, aimed at professional stage managers. Lots of real world examples. $90

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2011, 04:49 pm »
In terms of books that are not necessarily geared directly at stage managers (but are worth the read as an SM), I'm currently in the middle of Dealing with People you Can't Stand by Brinkman & Kirschner. I also read The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande.
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

TwoBallz1Stryke

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: University of Illinois, Level 21, Station Theatre, Krannert Center of Performing Arts, Urbana Park District
  • Current Gig: Asst. Stage Manager for the February Dance Concert with Dance at Illinois
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2011, 08:59 pm »
Thanks! Those really helped. I'll check them all out and let you know what I think.
~Kendall Johnson~
BFA Stage Management '14

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2011, 09:53 pm »
In addition to the textbooks listed by planetmike, my college SM class used one called "The Art and Craft of Stage Management" by Doris Schneider. It didn't have as many form/paperwork samples, but it was collectively our favorite in terms of the usefulness of the information.

Another book that's great for any person in theatre is "Backwards and Forwards" by David Ball. AMAZING insight. You will never read a play the same way again.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

TwoBallz1Stryke

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2011, 12:17 pm »
Lolz. I read Backwards & Forwards in my acting class last year (I used to be an actor lolzzz). But again, thanks for the suggestions! I'm looking into the first one now. =]
~Kendall Johnson~
BFA Stage Management '14

SMdrum

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Resident SM at Matrix Theatre Company
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2011, 05:46 pm »
I really like Essentials of Stage Management by Peter Maccoy.  I found this book helpful because it included management philosophy.  He writes about how the actors' needs change through the rehearsal process and how that affects the job of the stage manager.

riotous