Author Topic: Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark  (Read 30373 times)

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark
« Reply #60 on: Jan 08, 2011, 12:40 pm »
Wasn't there a Forbidden Broadway tune about the horrors of working on Lion King? To the tune of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight":
I hate Julie Taymor. She doesn't have a clue.
My neck is breaking wearing her designs, and subluxating too!
The puppetry is stunning, but now I must confide:
although it looks great from the audience, it's torture here inside!
I think I understand what Matthew's driving at, though. (A show this size can keep hundreds of people employed, after all. We all want that, yes?)

What really bothers me is that number: $65m. Producers have a hard enough time keeping things together when the budget is much lower and the egos involved are much smaller. At $65m, not only do you have all sorts of parties trying to set terms in order to protect their investments and involvement in the production (backers have all sorts of fantastic ideas that they want incorporated into the production, directors want to defend their artistic visions, writers want fundamental control, actors have egos...), but inevitably a budget gets overextended and has to be cut, or a timetable needs to be rolled forward, or a vital person leaves the show, or an effect simply isn't coming together, and the whole things needs to be recalibrated. And recalibrated. And recalibrated. If your producer isn't extremely, extremely good, the whole thing can get killed by committee: the backers panic and start making more and more demands, the director has less and less time to fix more and more problems, DC Comics doesn't approve of the latest changes and demands a rollback, the production back-end increasingly becomes a Frankenstein's Monster of assembled bits and pieces that hardly resemble the original plan, more rounds of budget reductions as things slip further and further behind schedule, things slip through the cracks, someone gets seriously injured, bad buzz spreads, the backers start to panic a little louder...

It's a vicious cycle and I like to think that, rather than this all being down to a malevolent director or uncaring/incompetent people in general, this is a problem of the sheer size of the production, the sheer number of people involved, and a back-office team who simply can't keep on top of it all.

nmno

« Reply #61 on: Jan 08, 2011, 01:10 pm »
(FYI - I have not seen the show, but have a couple friends who have and they were very critical - I greatly trust their opinion - they are Broadway theatre professionals, not actors, who really wanted to like it, but both made comments about the flying being underwhelming and Act II being a mess.  Another friend hated it, but she hates everything, so I throw her comments out - but she did say the same things.)

I feel like some of the backlash is a reaction to their hubris...  This is supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, the most amazing thing technically ever done in a theatre.  But despite all the extra time they've had, all the extra money, it's still in this state of a mess. They delayed production for, what, a year? (I know they had the PSM's on retainer for about that long... Remember when Alan Cumming was supposed to be Green Goblin?) Once they finally got into rehearsal, they delayed previews, then they've delayed opening, again.  I'm fine with them delaying, yes, get your ducks in a row...  But you'd expect to see a result of that extra time and money (aka, how bad was it before?!) 

And yes, people get hurt.  Repetitive stress injuries are common. But the broken wrists/ankles are not repetitive stress.  The 2 negligence-related *serious* injuries within a couple weeks (the fall and the girl hit in the head.) And these are the ones we know about...  I guess part of my surprise, knowing how Equity has gotten involved in *minor* injuries on my past shows, is the fact the AEA didn't get involved sooner (or maybe they did and were just being quiet about it...) 

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #62 on: Jan 11, 2011, 01:45 am »
Spider-Man Musical Most Popular on Broadway

The Spider-Man musical Turn Off the Dark, which has a nasty habit of seriously injuring its cast members, was the highest-grossing show on Broadway last week, beating out Wicked. Sounds like Wicked needs to start dropping its actors off buildings!

(from gawker website)

Post Merge: Jan 11, 2011, 06:29 pm

and today . . .  here's the spiderman new yorker cover
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2011, 06:29 pm by MatthewShiner »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #63 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:32 pm »
Yes, they grossed more than Wicked this past week...

By a grand total of 58 dollars!  Somehow I have a feeling that green girl isn't too afraid of the spider yet.

And to be fair, Wicked has had its own share of pretty horrible injuries over the years.  They had to design a neck brace for Kristin Chenoweth when she was injured during the show, Idina Menzel fell through a trap door and had to miss her final couple of performances, Stephanie J. Block had a near catastrophe with the lift mechanism and had to stop "Defying Gravity" during a performance.  Spiderman is far from the only "actor killer" out there.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #64 on: Jan 11, 2011, 07:53 pm »
No, Wicked is not afraid of Spiderman - but it's sort of astonishing that Spiderman, with out a star, with out good (or any) reviews, and with pretty scathing word of mouth is pulling in those numbers . . . but this holiday season in NYC was sort of over the top as far as ticket sales . . . almost every show had a record sales week.

Theater is a dangerous career.  We need to understand the risks inherent in the job, and do our best to limit them, but it's there.  Look at the Broadway shows . . . Lion King, Wicked, Mary Poppins, Phantom . . . all of these big musicals have had major injuries . . . an actor I worked with stopped performing for almost 5 years due to an injury in Phantom. 

I remember 42nd Street apparently at the time, although no huge special effects, was a huge ankle twister and knee damager . . . and that for a dancer . . . can be just as a bad as any other traumatic injury.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

nmno

« Reply #65 on: Jan 14, 2011, 12:15 am »
Not even bothering with the link, but opening postponed again, to mid March.

One friend's FB comment/joke: "Spiderman will be the first show to open with a completely different cast that 1st preview."

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #66 on: Nov 18, 2011, 08:03 am »
Very cool video of Spiderman's PSM: You've Got Spiderman on Broadway