Author Topic: SMs in media?  (Read 36493 times)

Debo123

• Contributor
    • View Profile
SMs in media?
« on: Nov 09, 2005, 04:01 am »
Did any body else see the Sex in the City episode where Carrie was at the fashion show and the SM was prominently featured calling cues? Did anyone else feel special?
Does anyone know of other SM appearances in tv/film/books/media otherwise? I think someone on here once mentioned books with an SM as a character, but I can't remember anything else about that.

Just curious. We may have an underground cult following.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
SMs in media?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2005, 06:45 am »
There was a show from the BBC that aired over here in AU that was following the putting on of a theatrical performance in an old theatre. Unfortunatly, the focus was on the actors, and although the SM did appear for short 5 minute stints every so often, the SM was crap and could not call a show if her hair was on fire, and she did not do what is expected from the average SM.

On the whole, dissapointing.

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
SMs in media?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2005, 11:49 am »
One of my favorites for comedic reasons is in Spiderman 2!!

Mary Jane is doing The Importance of Being Earnest.  There is a shot of here in her dressing room getting ready and a VERY paniced SM rushes to the door, "Five minutes!  FIVE MINUTES!!!"  

I saw the show with the cast and crew of the show I was doing at the time.  We all laughed SOOO hard...  they insisted that I start giving thier five minute calls like the guy in the movie.

I know I have seen more but I cant remember them off hand...
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
SMs in media?
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2005, 11:52 am »
Quote from: "mc"
and could not call a show if her hair was on fire, and she did not do what is expected from the average SM.

Was she the PSM or the Deputy SM?  From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong those who have worked in UK) Brittish PSMs do not call the show.  Thats what the DSM does...  I worked with a Brittish designer this summer who was telling me about it.  Sounds like a great system.  Of course, I'd rather call so I'd want to be the DSM.  :)
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

stagebear

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
SMs in media?
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2005, 11:57 am »
i think the worst was in "center stage" - you hear the sm yelling places then standby curtain warmers and curtain warmers out - with no time inbetween - just really random

Knave

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://members.aol.com/DVndrvliet/pro.html
the big kid in me
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2005, 01:18 pm »
Now I know he wasn't but as the series went on,  didn't Scooter take on a lot what we would call SM duties on the muppet show?

Was there a SM on the muppets?

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
SMs in media?
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2005, 02:12 pm »
Quote from: "jspeaker"
Quote from: "mc"
and could not call a show if her hair was on fire, and she did not do what is expected from the average SM.

Was she the PSM or the Deputy SM?  From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong those who have worked in UK) Brittish PSMs do not call the show.  Thats what the DSM does...  I worked with a Brittish designer this summer who was telling me about it.  Sounds like a great system.  Of course, I'd rather call so I'd want to be the DSM.  :)

It was a small show, and small shows usually do not split the SM role into it's two parts. That is a bit more common in large operas or musicals.

ORTaurean

• Contributor
    • View Profile
SMs in media?
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2005, 02:31 pm »
Kermit was actually the SM/Host on the Muppet Show.

There's always the movie version of Noises Off...I think that the SM in that show did her best to keep that cast together...until she got horribly involved.
Acting is standing up naked and turning around very slowly.
-Rosiland Russell

linka

• Contributor
    • View Profile
SMs in media?
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2005, 04:40 pm »
I spent a lot of time watching the stage managers work in the movie The Company with Neve Campbell. I hope that the stage manager in Centerstage doesn't really work that way... seemed a bit stressed out.

I was listening to an audio book (can't remember the title) on a recent car trip and the murderer turned out to be the stage manager. Kept the police on dead trails for hours of tape because the SM was terribly clever. Most memorable quote: "he knew the theater inside and out, how to work all the gadgets, light board, use power tools, had the keys to all the dressing rooms, and most importantly, new how to find the work lights in the dark. Most importantly, he knew how to schedule, organize, and could take down detail notes. His failing was that he wrote it all out."

ORTaurean

• Contributor
    • View Profile
SMs in media?
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2005, 02:47 pm »
I knew that writing everything down would come back to haunt me!
Acting is standing up naked and turning around very slowly.
-Rosiland Russell

isha

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://
SMs in media?
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2005, 12:59 am »
Finding neverland:
well it's theartre in 1905, but the very beginning you hear the SM calling for places. and you see techies backstage during the part when the play is showing
-isha
~isha

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
my favorite
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2005, 11:29 am »
is in Topsy Turvy.  You kind of have to be a Gilbert & Sullivan fan, but there's an EXCELLENT rehearsal scene where everyone is in suit and ties and the SM has to stand in for an actor who has missed the rehearsal.  "I'm terribly sorry, but I have neglected to provide a valise."
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
p.s.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2005, 11:30 am »
I always claim Ed Harris in Apollo 13, too.  I know I'm not supposed to.  I do anyway.

:wink:
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

YesItsKat

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
SMs in media?
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2005, 12:29 pm »
I think Scooter took over SM duties as the show continued...mainly cause his uncle? owned the theater.   The only stage manager I've ever seen on TV or in the movies with a firm grasp is the sex in the city episode...which I loved, and I cheered, especially when she swore and started the next model down the runway.

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
SMs in media?
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2006, 12:43 am »
So I know I'm behind but I just saw Team America and there is a SM puppet after the scene from the Broadway musical "LEASE"

Verry Funny!!

I always considered Scooter to be the Muppets SM and then in the later Muppet productions it would be Clifford.
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498