Author Topic: SMs in media?  (Read 36496 times)

Here2serv

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: SMs in media?
« Reply #45 on: Aug 03, 2007, 10:36 am »
I as watching "The Next Food Network Star" on The Food Network and when they got down to the bottom 3 they went on "Rachel Ray". It should the SM, it was a lady, coming and getting each person and showing them to the stage. What made me SO happy was when they actually put the SM name and position at the bottom of the screen. It was o nice of them to do that.
~pay it forward~

Lizzie

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Feb 15, 2008, 06:14 am »
http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/columnists/pandora/pandora-a-breakneck-production-782027.html

Saw this 'diary' item in yesterday's Independent newspaper (UK). The woman mentioned has got to be the DSM, but why does the writer make it sound like such a person's presence in the theatre is the height of weirdness ?

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #47 on: Feb 16, 2008, 01:19 am »
http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/columnists/pandora/pandora-a-breakneck-production-782027.html

Saw this 'diary' item in yesterday's Independent newspaper (UK). The woman mentioned has got to be the DSM, but why does the writer make it sound like such a person's presence in the theatre is the height of weirdness ?

Seems to me they were more saying it was jarring going from a World War I setting (and a climactic part at that) to seeing a stage manager onstage from 2008 - let alone to then inform the audience that a horse's head had fallen off!

Erin

Thomas A. Kelly

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Feb 18, 2008, 11:26 am »
Bob Fosse's actual stage manager, Phil Freidman, is the stage manager in All That Jazz, where Roy Scheider plays Fosse, and many "real" Broadway people play themselves in an exact replica of the old Broadway Arts Rehearsal studios... indeed, anyone who wants to see what it was like on Broadway in the 60s/70s, just rent this fine film and see. But Phil is fabulous in the movie just being himself; he was a great guy, and I had the fun of working with him on two occasions.

Tom Kelly

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Mar 24, 2008, 10:29 pm »
Slings and Arrows made me so happy when I first saw it! (Stage managers + Shakespeare! you can't go wrong!)  I was so glad to see the SM as such a prominent character, and especially glad that she did a wonderful job. The only problem is that now my friends keep joking about how, since I'm ususally so agreeable at rehersals, I might one day get drunk and become "posessed by the devil" and start swearing loudly at them.   ;)

jemason

• New to Town
  • To survive in theatre, you need a sense of humor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Mar 29, 2008, 08:45 am »
There is an online comic (not currently being updated frequently), but I still found it amusing to read at times:

http://thespiphobia.comicgenesis.com/    (It's a comic written about theatre from someone who is involved with the tech direction side of things).

One section from the "Lingo" link I really liked:

In is down, down is front,
out is up, up is back,
off is out, on is in,
left is right, right is left,
a drop shouldn't, a prop doesn't,
a purchase line will buy you nothing,
a block and tackle does neither,
the Green Room isn't (Thank God),
strike is work, and a run crew rarely gets anywhere.
Break a leg. (but not really).

Shut up still means shut up.

I got most of this (although I'm not sure what a purchase line is, nor a tackle, in relative terms of theatre), but it's still fun. :)
I stage manage, therefore I am.

stephaniebyrnes

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Apr 09, 2008, 04:34 pm »
I just got hooked on 'Slings and Arrows'. Gotta love Netflix. I've watched the first two seasons in the past few weeks.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #52 on: Apr 10, 2008, 08:55 am »
I enjoy watching "Sing Faster: The Stagehands Guide to the Ring Cycle".  ... And there must have been several stage managers for the various parts of the cycle (or on separate channels?), as there is at least one male and one female voice heard.

LOVE this movie!

And there are usually separate stage managers for different portions of a RING cycle. In general, one SM will do the first 2 operas and one the second two. Or they might alternate (1-2-1-2). And the female voice here is Francesca Zambello, who was a PA for this production back when she was a baby in San Francisco. She's now a mega-famous international opera director.

Thomas A. Kelly

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Apr 10, 2008, 12:12 pm »
Just watched Slings and arrows on HBO; it was the great segment where Emily the SM has to read stage directions at a first reading, eventually, after many evil looks at her, the leading actress eviserates her and the playwright leaves. Believing it to be all her fault, she bursts into hysterics, and the segment concludes.

CLASSIC

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #54 on: Apr 10, 2008, 12:16 pm »
I've been watching Slings & Arrows myself (I've become slightly addicted) and enjoyed the episode in Season 2 where Emily, the SM intern calls the break and Maria, the SM just looks at her in disbelief.
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

imrnthewicked

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #55 on: Apr 14, 2008, 11:04 pm »
Did anyone watch Idol Gives Back last week?  The American Idol SM had to come out onstage and change Brad Pitt's body mic.  She said something like, "I just wanted an excuse to touch him."

LCSM

• Permanent Resident
  • @LuciaCorak
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Apr 21, 2008, 09:57 pm »
Did anyone watch Idol Gives Back last week?  The American Idol SM had to come out onstage and change Brad Pitt's body mic.  She said something like, "I just wanted an excuse to touch him."

Hurrah! SMs with wicked humour!

J

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #57 on: Apr 25, 2008, 01:49 am »
Four pages of SM examples and no one mentions the SM from Waiting for Guffman!!!

"We're on in 15 minutes"

...help me everyone, I can't think of anything else she says, but she always makes me laugh!

And if you haven't seen the move, shame on you and GO RENT IT NOW!   :)

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #58 on: Apr 25, 2008, 02:17 am »
I didn't mention her because I don't like what she is wearing.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #59 on: Apr 17, 2010, 10:09 am »
Evidently this has been on PBS and ITVS - I am dying to see it (sadly will be in tech)

http://www.itvs.org/singfaster/story.html

SCREENING IN LOS ANGELES ON SATURDAY EVENING

April 17 from 7-9 pm
Hammer Museum, 10899 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90024
(310)  443-7000

FREE Admission

"SING FASTER"
Sing Faster: The Stagehand's Ring Cycle is an acclaimed independent film documentary, capturing Richard Wagner's 'Ring Cycle' from the union stagehand's point of view. The film received the Sundance Filmmaker's Trophy in 1999.  These behind-the-scenes stars lead us through their own version of Wagner's operatic spectacle as they perform astonishing feats of stagecraft, trade off-stage banter, and offer an insider's perspective on a strange and complex 19th-century operatic tradition.

A Q&A with director Jon Else will follow the screening.

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2010, 10:13 am by loebtmc »

riotous