Author Topic: SMNetwork's Resident expert in...  (Read 12783 times)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
SMNetwork's Resident expert in...
« on: Aug 12, 2010, 02:11 am »
We all know that we're experts in stage management.  (Well, most of us.)  We can organize things at the drop of a hat (and all the hats that were dropped in the process), we can tape out sets and crank out reams of paperwork.  But there is life outside of the theatre, and we all have expertise in areas that are totally unrelated to the industry.  Or aren't they?

Putting theatre aside, if you could be named as SMNetwork's resident expert in something, what would it be?  For example, I'd be the resident expert in writing parody song lyrics.  It's something I do in my spare time - at times accidentally, and among my circle of friends I've gained a certain notoriety for churning out Weird Al style mockeries of assorted pop music.

So what's your thing?  Other than organizing things/people, what do your friends always wind up consulting with you about?  Would you be the resident poker expert?  Stitch dropper?  Nail polish guru?  Grammar nazi? Now's your chance to establish yourself as our go-to person for all matters relating to YOUR area of mastery!

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: SMNetwork's Resident expert in...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2010, 06:41 am »
I'm the grammar and apostrophe police.  I hate, hate, hate this seemingly common belief that every word with an "s" on the end needs an apostrophe....

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2010, 10:26 am »
Hostess with the mostess. :) I am an excellent cocktail/dinner party host...I think because it combines my love of food and cooking with my natural inclination to turn gatherings into EVENTS.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2010, 10:51 am »
I am the expert hole-puncher... It is a compulsion of the obsessive kind... I cannot stand binders with documents not punched correctly (centered). I was handed 4 folders of stuff a few days ago and I spent 4 hours re-punching holes in the documents inside to make all my pages line up in the folder... I think that makes me an expert in the art....

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2010, 01:03 pm »
I'd probably be the resident expert on the legend and mythos of the King Arthur story, and the modern re-surgence of interest in fairy tale and folklore archetypes. 
When I was about 10, I got completely obsessed with the legends of Camelot, and read every book in my library even remotely connected.  The way my mind retains interconnected details...I don't think I've forgotten any of it.
The fairy tale thing...well, it's just so interesting.  Most folks raised in the Western world spent a good aprt of their youth immersed in, essentially, the same tales.  They form a layer of the bedrock of our subconscious, and understanding those stories, those amazingly simple, complex stories helps you understand people.  There's a reason that there are mental/emotional complexes called "Beauty and the Beast" complet or, "She's got a Cinderella Complex."  It's shorthand for some very complex ideas.

Sorry, I'll stop now, I could write a book on all this!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

brandiwb

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: directing The Lion in Winter
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2010, 01:34 pm »
I am the resident expert in wine. 

Each year for 8 weeks I run a Wine Tasting at the Texas Renaissance Festival.  I originally was hired to assist the sommelier and then due to unforseen circumstances, I became the "sommelier."  (Though I have yet to obtain my certification.)  I had to jump into books, start drinking wines and have over the last 14 years obtained quite a following.  I do everything from researching and choosing the wines and scripting, etc. the show.  My tastings sell out every year, yea me! 

I'm also a resident expert in improvisational theatre having performed professionally with ComedySportz for over 15 years and teaching countless workshops on the skills.

So, if you have a wine question, I can answer it, or if I don't know the answer I can make one up that's believeable and mostly true. ;)

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2010, 01:41 pm »
I'm not a political person: I certainly have my opinions, and I occasionally donate to political parties, but that's as far as I go. But ask me anything about politics in Canada, the States or the UK from the 1960s onwards, and I'll be able to answer it.

Who won the 1979 election and why? Got you covered.
What are the President's policy options on Don't Ask Don't Tell? I'm happy to analyze them for you.
Who really has a chance of winning the Republican nomination for 2014? Easy as pie.

Phrased differently, never ask me about politics because I'll never shut up.

Candy0081

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: National Tour
« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2010, 04:45 pm »
I think I'd be the expert in romance novels or old BBC dramas. 

Don't ask why, it just happened that way. 

PSMAK

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2010, 05:43 pm »
I'd be the expert with animals.

I've always had an interest in Zoology and Primatology. If family and friends are uncertain about an animal question, they talk to me. I guess it comes from my love and fascination with animals, primates in particular. I used to go to the zoo with my grandfather all the time, where he was a docent. I learned a lot from him, as well as working at the same zoo for a couple of summers. But a lot of it is self taught, by reading a bunch of books and tv shows (Animal Planet, Discover, National Geographic, etc.).

If I weren't a Stage Manager, I more than likely would have gone into Zoology and Primatology. Probably focusing on Primates.

ewharton

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Former SM
« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2010, 05:50 pm »
I'd say I'm the resident expert in mathematics. In my life before theatre I obtained a Bachelors degree in theortical mathematics and am routinely asked math questions. I've been hired as a consultant to explain the math in the play Proof to the actors and I also have made some nice pocket money tutoring any child actors from the company I work for in math.

kokobear

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 12, 2010, 07:59 pm »
I'll claim Resident Expert...iness in Fish and Aquaria.  I have kept African cichlids since 1986, and just tore down my 125 G reef, due to $$.  The reef was a 3 tank system, w/ 125 g display, 55 g sump, and a 55 g tank that I modified into a refugium/surge tank installed in the living room.  It was plumbed thru the floor to the display in the basement.  very cool set-up.

I also cook a damned fine cheesecake!
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2010, 06:40 pm by kokobear »

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2010, 09:00 pm »

I also cook a damned fine cheesecake!

When I throw my fabulous SM cocktail and dessert party, I know what you're bringing. :)
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2010, 09:45 pm »
…public radio.  I’ve worked at three public radio stations, mostly engineering but occasionally announcing too.  I know what makes an underwriter different from a commercial, why a radio Traffic Manager has nothing to do with rush hour, and would love to explain to you why your local public radio station is not NPR (it’s an affiliate!), so please remember it's call letters.  But the on-air funddrives or "membership campaigns" are not my department :-)       
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

kateaclysm

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 12, 2010, 10:06 pm »
History.  US in particular, but I'm often used as an impromptu encyclopedia.  "Go ask Kate she'll know"

Also, I make the best salad Nicoise ever.

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2010, 09:41 am »
...grammar police.

...movie trivia - when it comes to "Six Degrees" or "SceneIt!" I kick patootie!

...baking desserts.

riotous