Author Topic: SMASH - the TV series  (Read 26008 times)

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: SMASH - the TV series
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 09:43 am »
anyone else wonder why the costumes weren't rigged for QC tho? I actually had an interesting battle w a film-trained costumer about this once, trying to explain why and how costumes get built for QC - she kept buying stuff at thrift stores and expecting our dressers to make tight shifts with complicated zippers and buttons (and side zippers on period clothes).

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2012, 11:47 am »
It's just that stage management doesn't make thrilling T.V.

I wouldn't assume that TV people know what a theatrical stage manager is: or how anything works in the live world of theatre.

Of notes, the stage manager character in "Slings and Arrows" was as well drawn and interesting as the other characters -- but that show is class act through and through.

There is some series of detective novels featuring a British stage manager: now that would make scintillating television!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2012, 01:22 pm »
I wouldn't assume that TV people know what a theatrical stage manager is: or how anything works in the live world of theatre.

Given Theresa Rebeck's involvement - I think a basic understanding is there . . .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Baz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, BAEA, ACTRA
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2012, 02:25 pm »
Granted MatthewShiner, "On Tonight's Smash, a dry tech to end all dry techs . . . what will happen when the bedroom set stops moving upstage in a nail biting 15 seconds of terror." doesn't sound very stimulating, but I'm not suggesting that the SM or the minutiae of a real production become the primary focus of the series - but a little reality (with a little 'Gee, is that how that is done?' for the punters) would be nice, too.

The drama of seeing "On tonight's SMASH, everyone beds everyone else, Julia has a hissy fit because she's afraid she can't keep her libido in check and nearly kills off the show before Ellis has a chance to poison Rebecca", sounds more like a bad opera (or a particularly fraught episode of Dynasty) than anything resembling reality. And that makes it hard to find a good story, well told, by people you care about (for good or bad) in the series. It's just disappointing that this opportunity to show off our business has become so soapy.

Meanwhile, I'm not familiar with the detective series regarding the British Stage Manager, but I do know that the Stage Manager to Actor-Manager Sir Henry Irving had some success with a little novel called Dracula...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 02:37 pm by Baz »
SM'ing since God was a child.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2012, 07:01 pm »
And that's why SMASH is a work of fiction, and not a reality program.

It's drama - and what puts people in the seats is the drama of blow ups, bedding, and crisis - character development good, bad and ugly. 

I still would love a reality series of a show being put together . . . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Baz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2012, 07:13 pm »
So, hearkening back to my original thread starter, more of a road accident than a celebration, then?

No problem with this being a fiction rather than a reality show - it's just our reality can be so much more interesting than this series' fictions. And oh, the real stories Stage Managers could tell and the situations we can find ourselves involved in....

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2012, 07:56 pm »

Given Theresa Rebeck's involvement - I think a basic understanding is there . . .

As well as the fact that the actress playing the stage manager, Ann Harada, would be able to offer plenty of observational input if they really wanted to go in a more realistic direction.  She's worked with more than her share of stage managers in her years in the theatre.

EFMcMullen

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2012, 08:34 am »

...have you seen The Understudy...  I haven't seen an episode of SMASH but it doesn't surprise me that the SM is is drawn as useless...

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2012, 09:23 am »
Interestingly enough, I had a conversation with Ann on Thursday about just that.  The actors do voice opinions about inaccuracies, but, as in any production, the director wins out. Ann gave the example of the "ten minute call" she gave in the final episode, and said she did mention to the powers that be that there was no "ten minute call"," just "half hour, fifteen, five, and places," but the director wanted what the director wanted.

It made me think though, that as much as we might sit here, on the outside of it, and pick apart the show for "Fact vs. Fiction," just imagine what the cast is feeling, on the inside! But, it is Fiction, and good for them for having great jobs!

As well as the fact that the actress playing the stage manager, Ann Harada, would be able to offer plenty of observational input if they really wanted to go in a more realistic direction.  She's worked with more than her share of stage managers in her years in the theatre.

EDIT: Removed list of Nicholas Bracewell novels to the new thread.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 12:14 am by PSMKay »
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

Baz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2012, 11:17 am »
Interestingly enough, I had a conversation with Ann on Thursday about just that.  The actors do voice opinions about inaccuracies, but, as in any production, the director wins out. Ann gave the example of the "ten minute call" she gave in the final episode, and said she did mention to the powers that be that there was no "ten minute call"," just "half hour, fifteen, five, and places," but the director wanted what the director wanted.

It made me think though, that as much as we might sit here, on the outside of it, and pick apart the show for "Fact vs. Fiction," just imagine what the cast is feeling, on the inside! But, it is Fiction, and good for them for having great jobs!

Indeed, yes. Another case of a production company acquiring all manner of talented, experienced people, only to let the side down with other below-par elements. We've probably all experienced this in some regards in theatre, but TV seems rife with it.

It's great that these folks have a job and it in a project that is about the work they do and love, but it must be disheartening to see the project 'Jump the Shark' before the end of the first season.

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 08:04 pm »
Sidebar...

and said she did mention to the powers that be that there was no "ten minute call"," just "half hour, fifteen, five, and places," but the director wanted what the director wanted.

I feel we've had this discussion elsewhere. Maybe it's per area/region, but I've always had a 10 minute call. 30-15-10-5-places. But I digress.

...Back on Topic

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2012, 04:51 am »

I still would love a reality series of a show being put together . . . .

Been there, done that.  It was actually WAY more annoying than it was interesting.

EXQI (a Belgian TV company) made a reality TV show about the making of "The House of Dancing Water" 

They followed us around for our entire training and formation period in Belgium and then came to Macau to document the last few weeks leading up to opening night.

They eventually ran out "interesting things" to film about creating the show.  We had one episode about painting the SM office and they also did sponsored events where they took us to the zoo and the beer factory.  (Admittedly, that bit was fun.)

Several links:
EXQI website blurb (in Flemish) http://www.tv-visie.be/inhoud/belgie/maandag-op-exqi-plus-dragone-flying-tigers-en-film_35771/
The opening sequence http://vimeo.com/12666788
Unfortunately, the trailer link doesn't appear to be working anymore (and I'm in several shots in the trailer)
Lastly, I wrote a blog post about the experience http://jessieisskoopy.wordpress.com/2010/07/18/what-i-do-at-work-6th-edition/

Baz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2012, 01:04 pm »
Rebeck's been chucked, replaced by Josh Safran, the show runner to Gossip Girl.

No. Really.

If theatrical reality was stretched mighty thin and the series got Soap'y this season, we may have not seen anything yet.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2012, 05:27 pm »
Backstage also reported that they are adding 3 regulars to the show, all young, two men (one straight and macho, one gay) and one woman.

http://www.backstage.com/bso/news-and-features/nbc-s-smash-casting-three-new-series-regulars-1007115752.story

Baz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2012, 05:53 pm »
So no casting suggesting additional staff for the one SM, then...

::)

riotous