Author Topic: SMASH - the TV series  (Read 26010 times)

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: SMASH - the TV series
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2012, 07:32 pm »
Hey, at least there is an SM.  I think we very briefly saw the lighting designer and have heard (possibly) his name being called out from the stage.  There has been no sighting or mention of set, costume, or sound designers (not to mention the other folk essential to mounting a new musical of that caliber, such as an orchestrator, copyist, I think even the musical director has been completely invisible since Tom/Christian Borle seemed to be teaching everyone music during the workshop episodes).

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2012, 08:28 pm »
there was a rehearsal pianist, at least for a moment -

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2012, 05:00 pm »
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2012, 05:53 pm »
yup saw that this afternoon - really sad abt Brian D'Arcy James, I was looking forward to seeing how they were going to find a way for him to show off his mad skills - they wrote 3 of those lovely and talented men into inescapable corners, and I was hoping they'd find a way to salvage the 4th but ah well, I guess not.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2012, 07:01 pm »
Though I would assume everyone who is reading this thread has watched all the episodes, just in case

*SPOILER ALERT*

Well, if they give us the "realism" that so many people seem to be clamoring for, Ellis will be in jail for assault (maybe even attempted murder) for putting the peanuts in Rebecca Duvall's smoothie.

And, just a minor thing, nothing to do with anything really, did anybody else notice that when Eileen took that phone call from Riedel at the beginning of the finale episode that she was holding the phone upside down?  The headphone jack and sleep button on the iPhone were right there by her mouth, and when she "ended" the phone call I don't know what she thought she was touching on the screen, but it certainly would not have been the "end call" button on that touch screen.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2012, 07:04 pm »
Wait wait wait. (SPOILERS) Debra Messing's character is preggers, and neither of her potential baby-daddy's is returning for season 2? How is that going to work out?!
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

Baz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, BAEA, ACTRA
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2012, 07:50 pm »

*SPOILER ALERT*

Well, if they give us the "realism" that so many people seem to be clamoring for, Ellis will be in jail for assault (maybe even attempted murder) for putting the peanuts in Rebecca Duvall's smoothie.

The Ellis character and storyline I found to be one of the more glaring examples of failed 'realism' in the series - or certainly, based on whatever the current reality of each production I've ever worked on - and there have been some doozies.
I'm trying to imagine how he would have survived as long as he did, given the production team had worked together in the past and the animosities he created between them.

As for Ellis' admission that he was responsible for poisoning the Lead, I sat in stunned bemusement as Eileen banished him from the theatre rather than walking away and immediately calling the Police (albeit, on an upside-down iPhone) - as her PA, any Producer would almost immediately have envisioned the potential lawsuits to herself and the Company, especially as it already been acknowledged earlier it was no accident.

But perhaps 'realism' is overrated....
SM'ing since God was a child.

Thespi620

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2012, 10:01 pm »
(albeit, on an upside-down iPhone)

Glad someone else caught that, it was driving me crazy. The show is such an iPhone commercial and they can't even make sure the cast holds them correctly...

I'm also shocked Ellis stuck around so long--but even more surprised that they're not keeping him around next season.

Seems to me that they're taking next season in an entirely new direction, personal-life wise--with both of Debra Messing's men gone AND the cheating Dev AND the scheming PA...we may be in for another exposition-filled episode (or five) to start off season two. And this will continue to be the show I hate to love....
[The SM is] a very gifted, slightly eccentric master mechanic [keeping] a cantankerous, highly complex machine running at top efficiency by talking to it, soothing it, & lovingly fixing whatever is broken. 
-J. Michael Gillette

Baz

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, BAEA, ACTRA
« Reply #53 on: Jan 18, 2013, 10:34 pm »
Aaah! It's b-a-a-c-k...

Just caught the one hour Season 2 Preview. It picks up on the closing night in Boston and the return to NYC - and, if possible, the SM is shown having even less to do than last season. Now granted, there's a a lot of storytellling heavy lifting going on in this episode that actually precludes, you know, doing a play - but jeez....

Meanwhile, am I crazy, but isn't the whole point of mounting a new play away from NYC is to 'try-out' and iron out the kinks before coming back with an eye to Broadway? If the storyline is to be believed, the three week run in Boston was just that and now that they're back, they will 'fix' the show.

But, like I said, some considerable heavy lifting to do first. Maybe the SM character will find a job in the meantime - in a production that will actually use her skills...
SM'ing since God was a child.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #54 on: Jan 19, 2013, 02:24 am »
I believe the actress who plays the SM is in CINDERELLA on Broadway.

Maybe they will switch SM's????

Who will make the smoothies?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Jan 19, 2013, 09:44 am »
The actress who plays the SM was the original Christmas Eve from Avenue Q...

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Jan 19, 2013, 12:26 pm »
They've already filmed a good portion of the season, and with the limited time she is onscreen it will be entirely possible for Ann Harada to continue on with Smash while performing in Cinderella.

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #57 on: Jan 20, 2013, 05:01 pm »
From working auditions and my recent readings I've run into several actors like Ann who are pulling double duty as filming scene work on top of an 8 show week. Gotta pay the bills!
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #58 on: Feb 03, 2013, 01:27 pm »
I sort of enjoyed this article about SMASH. I haven't previewed the second season yet, so I have no idea if anything has improved, but I find this interesting.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/how-smash-became-tvs-biggest-train-wreck
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #59 on: Feb 05, 2013, 11:04 pm »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous