Author Topic: Smart Watch use in rehearsal  (Read 5290 times)

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
Smart Watch use in rehearsal
« on: Sep 02, 2015, 05:09 pm »
I thought I would purchase a smart watch for rehearsals in order to avoid looking at my phone - it can be a source of distraction and I'm hoping it will keep me from answering non-immediate texts and emails, since while in rehearsals I tend to also get questions regarding up to 4 shows.

Has anyone else integrated a smart watch into your arsenal?

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Smart Watch use in rehearsal
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2015, 06:59 pm »
I just got the Apple watch . . . and I have to say I love it for the purposes you listed.  I just scan to my wrist, checkout the message and make a decision if I need to pull out the phone.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2015, 12:06 am »
I just got the Apple watch . . . and I have to say I love it for the purposes you listed.  I just scan to my wrist, checkout the message and make a decision if I need to pull out the phone.

How's the battery life on your phone with the bluetooth connectivity between it and the watch?
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2015, 03:21 am »
with the iphone six plus, i get the entire day with the phone battery (two days on watch).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

shanakathleen

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: ASM, West Coast Production of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2015, 06:52 am »
My current PSM has an apple watch and has absolutely loved using it in rehearsals for all of the reasons above.

Although just beware - he also accidentally left his iphone in his roadbox/office when we were loading out of the rehearsal hall because he was using his watch and lost track of it. Luckily we figured it out before the truck pulled away!
Shana Kathleen Ferguson
shanakferguson@gmail.com

dallas10086

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2015, 04:51 pm »
I haven't drunk the Fruit Juice  ;) but I think I've found a good Android version that'll work well. I'll find out tomorrow.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2015, 04:55 pm »
This is probably the first honest-to-goodness use of a smart watch for business purposes that I've seen to date.  Kudos, and good application of a technology that most would view as an accessory or status symbol.

Good news on the battery life for 6+.  Changing my phone in a few weeks and unsure if I want to get another 6 or go with the 6+.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

dallas10086

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2015, 07:25 am »
I've used the smartwatch through 4 rehearsals now and I love it! At a glance I can dismiss emails and texts that don't need immediate attention, there's no other apps or notifications to distract, I've used the timer to time breaks, I found an app that let's me respond to texts from a preset list of responses ("I'm in rehearsal, can I get back to you?"). The voice command for texting and starting calls has been handy while on the go, and it's replaced my morning alarm. Best use of new technology for my own personal work/life that I've tried in a long time.