Author Topic: SM: WORST THINGS  (Read 25305 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
SM: WORST THINGS
« on: Apr 17, 2012, 09:41 pm »
From another website, a picture essay of the worst things . . .

but this one took the cake.

rest of the list http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/the-absolute-worst-things-in-the-world
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: SM: WORST THINGS
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2012, 10:31 am »
It is one of the worst things... Even worse though is when people don't punch the holes properly...

I have mild OCD - and holepunching in the center is one of my compulsions... I spent 2 hours at work one day re-punching documents that my boss had filed for me whilst I was on a 2 week training course...

Joshua S.

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Production Manager - Mason Gross School of the Arts
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2012, 11:48 am »
It is one of the worst things... Even worse though is when people don't punch the holes properly...

I have mild OCD - and holepunching in the center is one of my compulsions... I spent 2 hours at work one day re-punching documents that my boss had filed for me whilst I was on a 2 week training course...

This is one of my pet peeves too.  I let a PA hole punch a script for me once....  never again.

amagelssen

• New to Town
  • Keep calm and carry on
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: The New Colony
  • Current Gig: The New Colony/Bailiwick Chicago--Rise of the Numberless
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2012, 12:20 pm »
Yeah, that's why printers/photocopiers that can punch holes  for you are one of the best things ever. One of the worst things ever is the $10 hole puncher I have in my kit that eventually stopped punching the 3rd hole fully and hurt my wrist to use.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2012, 02:32 pm »
Jeez, Matthew, post a warning before you include stuff like that. Think of the children!  It starts with misaligned D-rings, next we'll be dealing with improperly-sized prop table sections, residual bits of old spike tape on the linesets and mechanical pencils without erasers. 

*shudder*

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2012, 05:33 pm »
My Worst Thing of the moment?  When Microsoft Office auto-formats hyperlinks.  I have literally never in my life typed an email address in a document and actually WANTED it to be a hyperlink.  Contact sheets are the worst.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

bpaige

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Website
  • Affiliations: EMC for AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2012, 08:28 pm »
I agree with Bex, auto-formatted hyperlinks are awful. I haven't found a photocopier with automatic hole punching but that sounds heavenly!! I wish we had one of them... maybe we do and I haven't found that function on our copier yet. Let the investigation begin!

Sometimes I do use pre-hole punched paper though that I found in Staples. I use it for my scripts because I get OCD about the hole punches in my book especially. Plus it's harder to redo an entire script than a few pages to go into my bible. I've had to teach a few ASMs I've had in college how to properly hole punch.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2012, 10:06 pm »
Pre-punched paper is the best ever.  It makes me sad when I go to buy a ream and Staples is out of it.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2012, 08:58 am »
This is a funny thread. I collect everyone's badly punched paper and use it in my book so that it won't be wasted. We kill far too many trees!  My books are a proud conglomeration of many weirdly punched pages! I also print almost everything on the fresh side of used paper, old scripts etc., until the final version.

Worst thing?? Erasure crumbs on my table. That's a horrible work place hazard!!!!
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2012, 09:45 am »
I agree - hate the hyperlinks, and no matter how many times I instruct my document to leave the formatting "normal", it still defaults to hyperlinks. ARGHHH! And even then I change the typeface to a non-hyperlink format, sometimes it still lives as a live link, so fixing typos is a royal pain.

Amandanellb

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Much Ado About Nothing and The Liar - PSM - Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park
« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2012, 10:55 am »
Looking at that is physically painful!

In case it has not already been confirmed, I think we were those kids who went missing from their parents in the store and, instead of being found in the toy aisle, were located in the paper aisle with arms full of supplies crying because they discontinued our favorite writing utensil... or maybe that was just me...  :)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2012, 06:56 pm »
Personally I went missing at age 8 in the Art Institute of Chicago and was found later in front of the Seurat naming the various figures to random passersby.

But to get back to the subject, can we talk a little about adhesive labels that don't fit on their divider tabs... or wind up off-center with a little corner flapping in the breeze?

bpaige

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Website
  • Affiliations: EMC for AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2012, 08:22 pm »
Or how about when you print labels and they don't print centered on the label and instead cut the names in half! That's awful!

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2012, 10:35 pm »
Or the internal dilemma when everyone in the cast has the same area code... except for ONE person.

Or that feeling much akin to "did I leave the iron on?" of "did I proofread that?"

You can fit all but 2 steps worth of a set into the rehearsal room tapeout... so you tape them onto the wall.

Watching a wash instrument drop focus by about a foot, 20 minutes into Act II.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #14 on: Apr 19, 2012, 11:29 pm »
Trying to erase notes but not being able to get it totally clean. OR when the eraser leaves a pink smudge instead!
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco