Author Topic: SM Hobbies  (Read 16483 times)

lauria

• Link Checker Supreme!
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: SM Hobbies
« Reply #30 on: Oct 13, 2010, 11:13 pm »
I'm pretty sure that there is a whole thread for those of us who knit or crochet. I'm one of them. It dovetails well with excess time backstage (40 minutes between cues, anyone?) and during preshow.

I also like to read Disney comics - mostly from the 40s and 50s. It's amazing how a simple Donald Duck comic can take my mind off of the show I'm working on and allow me to get to sleep. Life seems much simpler in Duckburg ('though very wacky sometimes!). I get too caught up in books to let myself put an unfinished story down.

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #31 on: Oct 14, 2010, 11:28 am »
"SM Hobbies" has been merged with thread "How do you Play."  Please continue disucssion!
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

cschott

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: adjunct SM faculty at Carnegie Mellon University
« Reply #32 on: Oct 14, 2010, 02:03 pm »
cprted - trains are an incredibly cool hobby, especially full sized ones.  I worked for Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey and lived on their train for a year.  So trains have interested me ever since.  Well, really trains interested me before that - my dad loves trains.  But now I'm even more interested.

Geocaching is interesting, though I'm really bad at it.  I've searched for 4 or 5 caches so far (all local) and only found 1 so far.  Bad sense of direction and not a very creative searcher, I guess. Ah well, I keep doing it because it gets me out of the house.

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #33 on: Nov 10, 2010, 02:08 pm »
I started taking karate a few years ago which has quickly become my favorite hobby!  Last month I actually took part in my first tournament.
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.

SMLois

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Lois Backstage
  • Affiliations: CAEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Manager - The Drowsy Chaperone - Theatre Under the Stars
« Reply #34 on: Nov 12, 2010, 09:27 am »
My biggest hobby is baking.  I've developed a bit of a reputation for it - especially for my cupcakes - to the point where I now include "gourmet cupcake baker" on my resume in the skills department.  I get contract offers that are followed by, "So, what kind of cupcakes will you make for opening?"  But baking is, for me, one of those things that requires full concentration on it and an ability to let go of what's been happening all day.  It also is one of the ways in which I am fully creative, and it's something that provides a finished product that I can show people in a short period of time - all things that stage management doesn't really provide.  Don't get me wrong, we are all very creative people and it shows in our scheduling, ability to deal with people, and the beautiful paperwork and books we create,  but sometimes being able to decorate a cookie or a cupcake is just that much more fulfilling!

I also LOVE television.  My other major in college was media studies and I now own more than 100 seasons of television.  The first day off after opening, so long as I have no personal chores that must be accomplished, I stay in my PJs all day and watch disc after disc of a favourite television show.

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
« Reply #35 on: Nov 12, 2010, 10:41 pm »
Quilting~ I'm a quilter! Today before my rehearsal I nearly finished the quilt for my soon to be niece!!! So excited for a new baby!

I bought a house a year ago, so home renovations have been at the top of my list! re-finishing hardwood floors, putting built-ins into my dining room, gardening and general flower bed-care...

And wedding planning! My step-son got married this past summer, and so did I! Which of course led to scrap-booking.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
« Reply #36 on: Nov 13, 2010, 03:02 am »
Sitting for long periods of time is a little difficult for me...so my downtime from the rehearsal room is actually my active time!  I am a runner.  Favorite distance: half marathon.  I also figure skate - currently working on my pre-gold dance tests.  And when I can find a class at an hour that works I do yoga.

I also like to journal and read when I need to check out from other people.

And I like to EAT (actually that's the real reason I run).  I love to try new restaurants and new food! 
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

Jill Woodward

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA, USITT, USITT-SW
  • Current Gig: The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee - Henderson State University
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #37 on: Nov 14, 2010, 01:39 am »
I took up knitting after a conversation with my adviser earlier in the semester after a conversation about burnout during a stage management class.
Me: So... how do I prevent burnout?
Adviser: Take up a hobby. You can't do theatre all the time.
Me: But all it's all I've got.
Adviser: Take up knitting then.

He was being sarcastic, but he's getting a scarf for Christmas. :P

I'm a big collector/research nut. The design classes on campus require us to keep morgues relating to them during the class. Well, I decided I love adding to my morgue. I've got a three inch binder for each one I've taken and they're still growing.

TheSingingSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: Company Management Resident - Long Wharf Theatre
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #38 on: Sep 27, 2011, 02:53 pm »
I'm actually a tabletop gamer. I love Dungeons and Dragons, World of Darkness, Exalted and other such games where I can hang out with some buds and have a great time creating a cool story and having a good game. Sadly, it's a time intensive hobby and requires other people (which means the busier I am, the more we have to hold off on gaming); but when it's time to grab the dice, the character sheets and roll with the heroes of yore, I'm there, bub! :D

Amandanellb

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Much Ado About Nothing and The Liar - PSM - Oklahoma Shakespeare in the Park
« Reply #39 on: Sep 27, 2011, 04:15 pm »
I have several Hobbies. I paint, read and write (although I cant finish a novel to save to my life). I used to be very into East Coast Swing Dancing, but the scene here kind of died.

I feel obligated in my downtime to see the non-theatre folk. Which is great because I love events, both planning and attending.

All time favorite thing to do though,  is to literally sit in a chair and do nothing. Don't move, don't think. It's usually reserved for about two hours the day after I close, if I have a break in between shows... Its Amazing.

jman255

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: The wonderful world of Chicago storefront
  • Current Gig: Profiles Theatre
« Reply #40 on: Sep 28, 2011, 04:10 pm »
I am absolutely OBSESSED with sports, predominantly basketball and football. During the NFL season, a lot of my spare time is spent managing my fantasy team! 

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sep 29, 2011, 12:15 am »
I've recently started playing roller derby.  Great exercise, seriously good fun - plus (provided you abide by the rules!) it's a good way to release any pent-up aggression...

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #42 on: Oct 04, 2011, 02:34 pm »
So many SM Geocachers! Maybe we should friend each other on Geocaching.com!

So many things from my SM Kit double for my Geocaching pack!
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

LizzG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: First National Tour
« Reply #43 on: Oct 04, 2011, 03:06 pm »
Geocaching is totally my thing!  I've found that geocache spots take me to cool places in cities that I would have never otherwise seen.  It's a goal of mine to find a cache in every state (and sadly, I didn't start geocaching when I started touring, or I would be a lot lot closer to that goal...)

I also love to play video games.  Every dude I've ever met is amazed that I actually like to play things like call of duty, and play well :).  Our head audio and automations guy are currently not only traveling a PS3....But they have a pelican case with a PS3 and a 17in monitor all hooked up and ready to go so they can open the case and play whenever they want. 

Needless to say, I'm jealous.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2011, 03:12 pm by LizzG »

giabow

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Oct 24, 2011, 11:41 pm »
I've recently started playing roller derby.  Great exercise, seriously good fun - plus (provided you abide by the rules!) it's a good way to release any pent-up aggression...

Hooray for derby!

I've been playing derby for about six months and am totally in love.  It's my new favorite thing.

Aside from that, I knit. 

riotous