Author Topic: Sleeping in your theatre  (Read 11676 times)

cprted

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Sleeping in your theatre
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2013, 11:14 am »
Empty roadcases wrapped up in packing blankets ....

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2013, 01:08 pm »
I have never napped in a theatre, and I can't imagine starting now.
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

Joshua S.

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Production Manager - Mason Gross School of the Arts
« Reply #17 on: Mar 12, 2013, 01:51 pm »
In undergrad our office had a pretty comfy couch that I would nap on throughout the day.  The office was small and only had one public computer, so it was mostly used for storage and naps. Now in grad school there are no great places to nap.  I'm told the "diva" dressing rooms have napping potential, but I have yet to explore them.

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2013, 01:57 pm »
Under counters, on packing blankets, and very rarely on the equity cot. Often we did PR the morning of a two show day so everyone would drag ass back to the theater and nap instead of going home before the matinee call. Was hard to do my preset in the dressing rooms because the floors were all actors... haha.

In each venue I've had a few spots, the best was once the back of the booth had a nice warm area to curl up in and was away from actor land.

One of my PSMs was well known for his 'Dad naps' and would just disappear to unknown areas and nap for awhile and reappear for call. For the longest time I couldn't figure out where he was going, had to ask... turns out he found an unlocked door to an unused spot booth. Dark, warm, unknown to most. Best spot ever! I was so jealous.
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2013, 08:36 pm »
Atop a pile of drapes in the store room has always been my preferred location - I like to make a nice little nest and curl up.

Yep, me too - worked in one theatre where the drape store was right next to the boiler room so it was warm in winter - perfect place to sleep (and had big shelves which served as bunk beds....).  We have a couch out the back of the office now which even has curtains around it but you do tend to have to book your slot on it.  In my last job the seats were the preferred option - no arms on them and they were pretty comfy.

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2013, 09:29 am »
I fell asleep on the butt board at my tech table on the dinner break of a 10 out of 12 once.  The sound designer has photos for future blackmail purposes.  But my favorite spot is the double papasan chair in the living room of our actor housing/admin offices.  The actors seem to claim all of the sofas and Equity cots in the Green Room...

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2013, 03:06 pm »
But my favorite spot is the double papasan chair in the living room of our actor housing/admin offices.

That double papasan is THE. BEST.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

NJ.JerrySmith

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Jerry Smith | Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2013, 09:41 pm »
The couch in the stage management office at my school has the infamous reputation of eating hours of your day. Many of the stage managers here, myself included, have been late to class (or completely missed class) because we had laid down for a "ten minute nap" only to wake up three hours later.

The bed on stage (if there is one in the show that's currently up) is always pretty comfortable too, but that's only an after rehearsal/during the middle of an all nighter option.

SMAshlee

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Porchlight Music Theatre
« Reply #23 on: Mar 14, 2013, 10:08 am »
I don't know if I'm brave enough to try the hammock or not, but I'll keep that in mind...

When I was a PA for a large musical we rehearsed in a large warehouse that had been divided into several different rooms.  We used the smaller one for group music rehearsal and hung drapes all around the room.  The drapes created a secret passage for stage managers to sneak around the room, undetected.  I was known for sleeping in the secret passage on the far side of the room with my favorite blanket that I kept in my car for just such an occasion.  When we moved to the theater, I quickly found the balcony lobby that was lined with built in couches. 

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2013, 02:40 pm »
In my current theatre, we have a hidden 3/4 floor between floors (affectionately dubbed the 'Malkovich Floor') that is a remnant of the renovation.  It is generally used for storage, but we have a couch there.  It is warm, quiet, and the best place to go if you don't want to be disturbed.  Since we work in rep and are pretty much always in tech or in performances, it is nice to have a place to rest between shows!
The oddest place I have slept (as many people did) was on the dryers in the wardrobe room.  There was a whole row of them, you could put a blanket on top and have a comfy, warm nap between shows while the laundry was drying.
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
« Reply #25 on: Mar 17, 2013, 07:23 pm »
A year ago I was working on a show with an extended stage, and one end of the extension was open - the HL/HR seating sections were walled off, so nobody could see the open end because nobody was sitting there. We used this open wall to access the trap that was built into the extension.

Anyway, I never personally did it, but I know of several occasions when people crawled in and napped inside the extension.

I worked in another theatre where the seating was chairs on built-in risers... I would frequently pull a cushion off a chair and lie down in the row, snuggled against the backs of the chairs.

My current theatre has a hall lined with church pews... Hard and not that comfy, but I keep a nice thick blanket in my car. :)

SMAshlee

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Porchlight Music Theatre
« Reply #26 on: Mar 18, 2013, 11:07 am »
The couch in the stage management office at my school has the infamous reputation of eating hours of your day. Many of the stage managers here, myself included, have been late to class (or completely missed class) because we had laid down for a "ten minute nap" only to wake up three hours later.

Haha, I have experienced a couch like this before... shortly after we discovered its magical powers, we decided that someone had sprinkled coma dust on it. 

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 18, 2013, 01:42 pm »

The bed on stage (if there is one in the show that's currently up) is always pretty comfortable too, but that's only an after rehearsal/during the middle of an all nighter option.

We had a couch like that in the green room. It was so bad we called it the "soul-sucking couch".  You lay down in what you think will be a 15 minute nap only to have the couch form a comfy shape around your body, as if its giving you a hug.  Two hours later you're still there..

Kelasaurus

• Contributor
  • Live, Laugh, Love
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA
  • Current Gig: Getting my feet wet in the industry
« Reply #28 on: Mar 19, 2013, 04:36 pm »
I did a show a few years ago with a very comfy bed on the set.  The actors and I would alternate who would get the bed at which times.  It was fantastic.

Otherwise, I have the talent of being able to sleep just about anywhere, as long as it's kind of soft, or at least carpeted, dark-ish and mostly quiet.

I have never slept on an equity cot, the actors stake claim on those most of the time.
‎"We keep moving forward, opening new doors... because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
- Walt Disney