Author Topic: Signs You're a SM  (Read 2186 times)

Michelle R. Wood

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • website
  • Affiliations: EMC, East Carolina University
  • Current Gig: Resident Stage Manager at Temple Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Signs You're a SM
« on: Jun 03, 2014, 09:59 am »
I recently stayed with my cousin a few days. To help out, I decided to help her two-year-old clean her room. One morning we go to hang up her clothes and I ask her to move the doll baby bed away from her closet door so I can reach inside. Here's where my brain went: "Hmm, that's not a good storage area for that item, it's blocking an entrance. There's a nice place just the right size by her bed we could spike it."

I stopped myself before saying any of it out loud, but the impulse to put down tape and label was very strong.
"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." -- Thomas Edison (Harper's Magazine, 1932)

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
Re: Signs You're a SM
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2014, 03:53 pm »
You'll enjoy a previous thread titled Stage Managing Your Life - http://smnetwork.org/forum/the-green-room/stage-managing-your-life/msg34169/#msg34169.

Always remember: you are not alone.  ;)

Michelle R. Wood

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • website
  • Affiliations: EMC, East Carolina University
  • Current Gig: Resident Stage Manager at Temple Theatre
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2014, 06:32 pm »
Thanks for the link: I figured someone else had to have posted something similar. It's like when I worked for Disney: some things never leave you, even when you're not "on duty."
"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." -- Thomas Edison (Harper's Magazine, 1932)

XanderQCall

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, My Old Lady, Kansas City Actors Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2014, 07:34 pm »
I was sitting in a restaurant waiting to pick up some food I had ordered. There were a series of brick steps near me and I noticed multiple people kept tripping on the same step. My first impulse was to get some white gaff and tape that step.