Author Topic: Show post-poned due to quitting actor  (Read 3173 times)

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Show post-poned due to quitting actor
« on: Mar 25, 2010, 08:49 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/26/theater/26mullally.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Did you read this NYTimes article? Megan Mullally quit the revival of "Lips Together, Teeth Apart" around two weeks before previews began because she felt her co-star, Patton Oswalt (a broadway newbie I believe), was not doing a good enough job. While I commend her for being discreet (initially) by voicing her concerns in private as opposed to telling Oswalt what she though, I think quitting the show is much worse press (especially since this is the second time she quit just prior to previews) than having lackluster reviews due to a co-stars weak performance.

I was happy to see a dignified and professional comment from the stage manager for the production. Although it does show just how careful we have to be when we speak to anyone outside of those present in rehearsals. Knowing as much intimate details as SMs tend to know, we could easily speak out inappropriately without initially knowing about it.

I'm curious what everyone else thought about this situation and to see if anyone else has had to deal with a similar situation (and did you end up delaying the production)? And do you think Mullally has done enough damage to her broadway reputation to leave her with more butter commercials and less offers for leading roles?
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Show post-poned due to quitting actor
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2010, 02:44 am »
Interesting....I have been involved with a couple of shows that moved opening due to last-minute replacements for a variety of reasons (mostly actor-based) and had this chat w a friend recently who had the same issue - one person in a 3-member cast walked/was fired the week of tech.

Amongst us the gossip will fly, and I am deeply impressed by the clarity and presence of mind shows by the PSM (yay for our profession) but appalled that 4 people betrayed Ms Mullally's confidentiality and trust to the reporters, not counting what Mr Oswalt must feel hearing those comments!

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2010, 03:37 pm »
We actually had to fire an actress yesterday- with two weeks left of the run. It was from a lot of different factors, but the moment I had to tell the cast we had to let her go, the rumors started flying. I had people HOUNDING me to know "what really happened!" It's been maddening.

Fortunately, our assistant will be stepping into the role for the rest of the run.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2010, 07:21 pm »
I think the big thing to keep in mind that at certain levels, everything is scripted . . . from what people "leak" to what is stated off the record to "official press releases", and unless you were there, you may never know what truly happens.

I had an incident where the Press Department and various members of the producers sat in the room scripted out what the official story was - something that I doubt many people would believe, and then what the "unofficial story" was going to be - none of these had anything to do with the truth.  Smoke and mirrors.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2010, 10:50 am »
Without knowing anything that happened in rehearsals and at initial impressions, I find it odd that an actress would drop out of two separate productions in much the same way at the same point in rehearsals. Makes me wonder if his performance really was the issue. But again, we'll never know.