Author Topic: Show me your mugs! (Or water bottles)  (Read 10283 times)

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Show me your mugs! (Or water bottles)
« on: Aug 20, 2012, 02:38 pm »
Since every SM I know carries one (or more).

I just got a bodum travel mug and it has changed my life.

It's a mini french press! I even cold-brewed coffee in it when it was sweltering outside.

I do need a new water bottle though, as mine has gone missing.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Show me your mugs! (Or water bottles)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2012, 02:49 pm »
Here's my coffee mug:

I don't drink coffee.

But to answer the other part I've always had these or some variation to these:

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2012, 06:24 pm »

It's a mini french press! I even cold-brewed coffee in it when it was sweltering outside.

I've wondered though, all the directions I read for french press say to empty it after 5 minutes, since the coffee will turn bitter. Do you find that to be the case?

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2012, 08:38 pm »

I've wondered though, all the directions I read for french press say to empty it after 5 minutes, since the coffee will turn bitter. Do you find that to be the case?

I haven't. The seal on the inner press part is very strong, so the grounds and any liquid below it gets sealed off from the coffee once you press it through.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

dallas10086

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2012, 09:36 pm »
That's good to know about the grounds (yuck) but I meant the bitterness caused by the coffee beans steeping in hot liquid so long.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2012, 11:33 pm »

I have the pink one. I used to have a nicer, double-walled one, but it walked away and I replaced it with a cheaper model.  I don't drink a lot of hot beverages, and I prefer to drink out of a straw 100% of the time, so it suits my needs pretty well!
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2012, 04:30 am »
For cold drinks:

The top actually has three openings:
1) A twist-off cap, for when you want to take a nice big gulp.
2) A fold-out straw for sipping.
3) A one-way valve to let air into the bottle as you drink.

The one-way valve completely prevents the glug-glug-glug noise you get with similar bottles. An excellent innovation.

And for hot drinks:

It's a teapot with a twist: the bottom contains a filter and a valve. When your tea has brewed to your satisfaction, you plonk it on top of a mug. The weight of the pot sitting around the rim of the mug opens the valve, and the tea is strained into the mug, leaving the leaves in the pot.

I tend to go in for fruity herbal teas, and this has the added advantage of letting me see the teas as they brew: sometimes they're very pretty!

Of course, if you usually stick to teabags, a plain old mug is probably best.

Lauren

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Western Michigan University Alumni
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager, National Tour of Mamma Mia!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2012, 12:55 am »
Quote from: On_Headset
And for hot drinks:

It's a teapot with a twist: the bottom contains a filter and a valve. When your tea has brewed to your satisfaction, you plonk it on top of a mug. The weight of the pot sitting around the rim of the mug opens the valve, and the tea is strained into the mug, leaving the leaves in the pot.

I tend to go in for fruity herbal teas, and this has the added advantage of letting me see the teas as they brew: sometimes they're very pretty!

Of course, if you usually stick to teabags, a plain old mug is probably best.

Do you find it inconvenient to have to clean the "to go teapot" all the time while in rehearsals and such? Or do you just use it once and let the used leaves sit in the pot the rest of the day? I love the idea, but I feel like depending on location if I didn't have access to a sink where I could clean it fairly soon after use it would get kind of gross.

EDIT: Fixed formatting. -PSMK
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2012, 02:31 am by PSMKay »
"The truth is rarely pure, and never simple" -Oscar Wilde

kiwitechgirl

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2012, 06:53 am »

When I left my last job, one of the other SMs gave it to me as a leaving present...and the other SM gave me a mug with the same thing on it - completely independently of each other!

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2012, 04:44 pm »
This is the perfect thread...my mug just broke!

dallas10086

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2012, 08:15 pm »

It's from Contingo. I snagged this bad boy on sale at Caribou Coffee at half off, it's been the best travel mug I've ever had. It's vacuum sealed - none of that wimpy double walled only stuff ;) and it keeps my coffee hot for 6 hours - not 'kinda hot after 3 hours', but HOT after 5 hours and starts getting warm after the 6th. LOVE. IT.

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2012, 11:44 pm »
I don't have a pic, but I picked up a stainless steel tumbler from the original Starbucks in Seattle back in May with the original logo and stating that it's from the "First Starbucks Store - Pike Place Market."  I haven't used it yet, since I rarely drink hot coffee in the summer, but I'm very excited (maybe more so than I should be?) to break it out come fall here in NYC.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2012, 11:52 pm »
Do you find it inconvenient to have to clean the "to go teapot" all the time while in rehearsals and such? Or do you just use it once and let the used leaves sit in the pot the rest of the day? I love the idea, but I feel like depending on location if I didn't have access to a sink where I could clean it fairly soon after use it would get kind of gross.

EDIT: Fixed formatting. -PSMK
I primarily drink herbal teas, and my go-to is peppermint, so I actually go 3-4 brews before I need to rinse it out or change the leaves. (It's not like a black tea where it gets all yucky and bitter if you let it sit too long. The taste gets weaker as you use them more often, but you just let it brew longer to make up for it.)

If you're into blacks or greens or whites, you may have more trouble with it.

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2013, 11:28 pm »

It's from Contingo. I snagged this bad boy on sale at Caribou Coffee at half off, it's been the best travel mug I've ever had. It's vacuum sealed - none of that wimpy double walled only stuff ;) and it keeps my coffee hot for 6 hours - not 'kinda hot after 3 hours', but HOT after 5 hours and starts getting warm after the 6th. LOVE. IT.

I COMPLETELY AGREE. My host family in Alaska let me borrow one of these when I worked on the Opera there and it was AMAZING. I took my hot tea out into below zero weather and it was still piping hot for hours into rehearsal. Just awesome.

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2013, 12:24 am »
For cold drinks:

The top actually has three openings:
1) A twist-off cap, for when you want to take a nice big gulp.
2) A fold-out straw for sipping.
3) A one-way valve to let air into the bottle as you drink.

The one-way valve completely prevents the glug-glug-glug noise you get with similar bottles. An excellent innovation.

Oh, I'll have to look into this bottle. I was using the CamelBak straw top to my bottles, but they started to get very noisy through the valve. I also like bottles with both small drink opening and bigger gulp/filling opening.

riotous