Author Topic: SANDY!  (Read 6784 times)

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
  • Experience: Professional
SANDY!
« on: Oct 28, 2012, 06:59 pm »
Funny story... while I'm making preperations for hurricane Sandy, I keep finding myself raiding my SM Kit for supplies on the suggested lists- it's always good to be prepared! I've found lots of flashlights and tap lights and extra batteries, as well as all my first aid kit supplies and some extra lighters!

Stay safe anyone else who is in the northeast!

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
Re: SANDY!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2012, 12:06 pm »
Between my SM training and growing up in Houston, I feel super prepared. :) Wish my show hadn't been cancelled, but it was certainly nice to stay in, cook, and catch up on some sleep!
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2012, 12:22 pm »
We're not too worried about it here inland NC, but of course most people I know are in the Northeast. Hoping everyone stays safe!

jcarey

• New to Town
  • Stage Manager and Lifetime Student
    • View Profile
    • James D Carey on LinkedIn
  • Affiliations: UNCSA, USITT
  • Current Gig: BFA Stage Management, UNCSA
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2012, 01:00 pm »
We're not too worried about it here inland NC, but of course most people I know are in the Northeast. Hoping everyone stays safe!

The worst we have is wind and cold, thankfully.

Hope all is well in the NE
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

- Douglas Adams

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2012, 02:03 pm »
70 degrees, sunny and not a cloud in the sky here in Miami.  I do find it humorously ironic that having lived in Miami for six years now, my friends in NYC will have been through more hurricanes than I have. 

Stay safe all in the Northeast, and hope you have plenty of supplies (and booze) on hand to weather the storm. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2012, 02:08 pm »
Gusting pretty good here in Mass with a steady rain.  Have plenty of coffee and alcohol to get me through (it's the important things, right?).  And the basement hasn't flooded yet!

Good luck to everyone out there in NY and NJ.  Looks like Sandy really has it out for you!

Anyone have any good pictures of the storm?

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2012, 02:28 pm »
It's been rainy and windy here in DC but nothing terrible yet, at least where I am. Everything is shut down so I'm just enjoying an unexpected day off with the first season of Downton Abbey. :)

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2012, 04:55 pm »
Seems like parts of NYC are flooding and chaotic, while the biggest worry I am facing on the upper west side of manhattan is a dog that doesn't want to go out in the wind and rain. Playing it safe and staying in until further notice, hardwood floors be damned. 

Stay safe everyone!
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

pyromnt

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: SM- You're A Good Man Charlie Brown
  • Experience: High School
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2012, 04:58 pm »
Sandy is making my life worse...

We are out three days of school, for a show that opens on Friday!!

It is Guys and Dolls and very technical. Big set, lots of light cues, many flies, etc..

So we are going to have to put the show on with only two days of tech. rehearsal.....

Oh dear
Standby. And 3..2..1

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2012, 07:25 pm »

So we are going to have to put the show on with only two days of tech. rehearsal.....

Oh dear

There comes a time when you have to be more prepared than usual, communicate very well with your people, and pull a Tim Gunn *make it work*. You can do it  ;)

Thespi620

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2012, 11:12 pm »
Astoria has seen lots of high winds but not much else yet. I'm hoping my show that opened on Friday didn't close by default on Saturday--we've had to cancel 3 performances already, and we're meant to close on Wednesday. Here's hoping, right?

Stay safe, stay dry, stay caffeinated/boozed up, all!

[The SM is] a very gifted, slightly eccentric master mechanic [keeping] a cantankerous, highly complex machine running at top efficiency by talking to it, soothing it, & lovingly fixing whatever is broken. 
-J. Michael Gillette

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2012, 01:49 am »
I'm currently on the payroll of a university arts centre.

In some respects this is fantastic. (Steady paycheque, hooray! Union employment, hooray! Teaching opportunities, hooray!)

But this also means that we're at the whims of the university's emergency management staff. In previous years, something like this has happened:

Day Before: "We'll let you know before 7:30 AM if we're closing the university."
7:30 AM: "Nope, we're still open. Everybody come in!"
10:30 AM: "Oops, sorry, we're closing after all."

(And the worst part about 10:30 is that by that time, all of the staff--including the people who had to take a taxi because the buses aren't running, or had to find an emergency babysitter for their kids, or spent three hours on the highway, etc. are at their desks. If you sent the update at 8 or 9, the people who were still in transit could at least turn back. But nooooo...)

I've already called in a mental health day. It's nasty out there and I'm quite enjoying sitting up until the wee hours with the internet and some cocoa.

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2012, 11:55 am »
I saw a picture of the Kennedy Center almost overrun by the Potomac. Anyone know anyone out there to see how it's going?

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Former SM
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2012, 05:46 pm »
Pretty much all of Manhattan below East 31st, and West 39th, is experiencing severe flooding, loss of power and utility outages. Frighteningly, this includes two tremendous hospitals - Bellevue, on the East Side, and NYU Langone Medical Center. Both evacuated patients in ICU wards, including infants, due to loss of power. Swathes of Brooklyn, Queens and New Jersey experienced similarly crippling floods and outages.

The subway service and commuter rail lines serving NYC and the immediate surrounding areas remain closed. Pictures of serious flooding at numerous subway stations are all over Facebook, Twitter and traditional news media websites. (The NY Times site has some amazing shots - in every sense of the word.) Buses are due to begin covering essential routes this afternoon, according to Governor Cuomo, but the lifeblood - the subways - are still an unknown quantity to the general public. Estimates put the recovery time anywhere between 14 hours and 5 days, depending on the extent of the damage to signal equipment, especially in tunnels under the East River.

Better news:

Bridges reopened this afternoon.

In true NYC fashion, many grocery stores, drug stores and restaurants are open, and some (like the Harlem Fairway) are providing bus pickup and dropoff, or taxi reimbursement, for employees. Bars are also open, and I've heard a few Facebook stories of bars opening up restrooms and power strips so folks without water or power at home can use the facilities, and charge their devices to contact loved ones and colleagues.

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2012, 08:30 pm »
Even better news:

We have limited (and free) bus service back up in NYC and they're hoping to restore all lines the best they can tomorrow.

I'm in Astoria as well, and consider myself extremely lucky to have not lost power or internet.

Seeing posts on Facebook etc about friends opening their homes, and bars and restaurants doing the same makes me so proud to live here.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

riotous