Author Topic: PATRON SMASH!  (Read 5632 times)

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
PATRON SMASH!
« on: May 16, 2013, 12:09 pm »
http://gothamist.com/2013/05/16/heroic_theatergoer_smashes_cell_pho.php

An article from the Gothamist depicting in glorious detail an individual getting fed up and taking a rude patron's phone away from her and threw it across the room.

Don't say you haven't wanted to do the same thing at one point or another...because then you'd be lying.

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
Re: PATRON SMASH!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 12:27 pm »
*slow applause, wipe away a single tear*

He's my newest personal hero.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 01:02 pm »
He took her phone out of her hand and threw it across the room?

I'm sorry, I cannot be on his side in this.  Obviously she was WAY out of line, but he took her phone out of her hand and threw it across the room.  As much as I might WANT to do that, I would never ACTUALLY do that. He has some serious anger management issues.

I would imagine that at a show where patrons are seated at tables, they probably have this issue a lot- patrons who act like they're at a restaurant (still using their cell phones... ugh) and not at the theater. I don't know that there is something less disruptive he could have done besides just ignoring her, but I'd imagine that the ushers/waiters could maybe be more proactive in policing that type of thing.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 01:26 pm »
I will readily admit that as an employee and as a patron I have wanted to do the same thing. Maybe it's the sense of entitlement she displayed, maybe it's the blatant disrespect for the other patrons around her, but if I were sitting in his seat I may have done the same thing.

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 02:29 pm »
Thanks to this guy for living out our fantasy!  It'll be interesting to see what kind of repercussions he'll have to deal with.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 03:06 pm »
I'd be personally interested if he gets sued and then counter sues for assault since she did slap him.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 04:36 pm »
Presumably taking someone's cellphone and smashing it to the ground would constitute fighting words. (Provocation, incitement, I'm not sure what the term is for actions as opposed to verbiage.)

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 06:16 pm »
Presumably taking someone's cellphone and smashing it to the ground would constitute fighting words. (Provocation, incitement, I'm not sure what the term is for actions as opposed to verbiage.)

It is the technology age equivalent of the glove slap challenge.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 08:24 pm »

I'm sorry, I cannot be on his side in this.  Obviously she was WAY out of line, but he took her phone out of her hand and threw it across the room.  As much as I might WANT to do that, I would never ACTUALLY do that. He has some serious anger management issues.

I would imagine that at a show where patrons are seated at tables, they probably have this issue a lot- patrons who act like they're at a restaurant (still using their cell phones... ugh) and not at the theater. I don't know that there is something less disruptive he could have done besides just ignoring her, but I'd imagine that the ushers/waiters could maybe be more proactive in policing that type of thing.

In life, there are some people that just deserve it.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Sarah.E

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Boston University
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 08:28 pm »

I have to agree with Bex on this; as much as we all might be enraged by this kind of behavior, to me this response crosses the line. Plus, if he did this in protest of a disruption, I find his actions counter-productive; wouldn't the disruption of throwing a phone (much less the aftermath) be worse than a single cell phone light?

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 09:30 pm »
Being a jerkstore is not a crime. He's civilly liable for the cost of her cell phone and nothing more, which is pittance compared to the free publicity he's received following the incident.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 10:24 am »
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/17/opinion/williamson-theater-audiences/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

Here's a full opinion piece from the gentleman (or not depending on your opinion) who tossed the phone.

riotous