Author Topic: On the importance of a clean calling script  (Read 3086 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
On the importance of a clean calling script
« on: Apr 30, 2015, 01:05 am »
So, on my current show, I took over the day after opening, and we are in the middle of US training, cross training crew, training crew subs, and trying to locate a new PA to sub on the deck so the ASM could learn the call - since both the original SM and PA were going to unavailable for most of the month of May.

Thursday of last week, I had to stay home from US rehearsal due to a very quick fever, cold and chills, but was able to come in for the show.  Friday, on my way into the show, felt like I was internally stabbed.  Made it to the theater, talked my ASM through the calling of the hard parts (this is a four person show, no automation, no may to hurt anyone) - and then went to the hospital - for six days - and will most likely be out another two.

Not an ideal situation at all - but important to note

a) have a plan to train someone to call the show, and talk them through.
b) make sure you calling script is clean and someone else can call from it.  There are actually two schools of thoughts on calling script . . . one is to make it so clear anyone can call from it and two is to make a calling script you can call from . . . but maybe not anyone else.  (This is an old school method of job security . . . )
c) Make sure not only you have someone who can call the show - for example your ASM . . . but someone to sub for you.

Even for a short run, think of this plan . . . something like this can come up instantly . . . not hit by bus, but a very angry gallbladder which needs to get out . . . can side line you for a bit.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: On the importance of a clean calling script
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2015, 08:20 am »
Yikes, feel better Matthew!!

Your point is very true. I actually had to miss shows during my last production, for the first time ever. What I thought was a cold turned into a very nasty flu, and I blacked out, hit my head, and had to get stitches. My ASM (who had moved on to rehearse the next show) came in and called most of the shows the final weekend. (We had joked about what a pain it had been to retype the script so that I could type the calling script but I was so glad that I had....)

No one ever plans on getting so sick that you can't run the show- and most of the time we think, oh that wouldn't happen to me. But when it does, you don't always have the ability to come in and explain things, so having it clear and easy to read is a must.

It's also a good lesson for anyone creating running paperwork in specificity and clarity. Someone might have to run your track without knowing the show, so it's important to note that the knocked over chair faces DS, or that you always stand in the SL wing with a box of tissues for an actress at the end of Act 1. And if you have less experienced ASMs creating paperwork it's not a bad idea to check it and make sure that it's clear enough for someone else to understand... (I've also seen, not on my show but another, the ASM not create any paperwork because they only had one prop to set and one handoff during the show. When they were suddenly ill they had to type up the backstage paperwork on the fly so that someone else could run their track.)

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 09:43 pm »

It's also a good lesson for anyone creating running paperwork in specificity and clarity.

Yes, absolutely. I'm board op-ing right now and even for that I type up a little list (make sure the amps located USR are on, turn on assisted listening, etc.) so that way if I'm out someone still know what to do.

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 09:12 am »
Get better soon, Matthew.

In addition to the posted information, I have a pre/intermission/post checklist that I have with the calling script.  It's not only my guide to keep me on task at each performance but is someone else's go-to checklist to make sure nothing gets overlooked (prop check and presets, costume presets, dimmer check, sound check, com check, calls to cast, etc, etc.).

I have had to call shows from another SM's book.  On a few occasions, the books were not clear and made for an extra nerve-wracking show.

riotous