Author Topic: Stage Managers have legs?!  (Read 3454 times)

Car.e.kari

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Stage Managers have legs?!
« on: Nov 06, 2013, 01:20 am »
I am curious to see what others think about this topic, because I shocked my LD today!

I came into work today(I am a PSM) in a skirt and cowboy boots. I was planning on working at my desk all day and didn't need to fear peeking since there were no ladder work to be done that day...he said he had never seen a SM wear a skirt. I own tons of black clothing, but I enjoy fashion and I enjoy being girly, and I LOVE my boots.

Should I as a PSM be prepared to work or can I dress cute and be in charge at the same time?! What do other people wear to work, when they are during normal hours and not on a show?

"I can't tell if this is killing me, or making me stronger!"

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Stage Managers have legs?!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2013, 07:46 am »
This topic has been covered to some degree in the topics "What (not?) to wear" and "Style Question":
http://smnetwork.org/forum/employment/what-(not)-to-wear/msg44997/#msg44997
http://smnetwork.org/forum/tools-of-the-trade/style-question/msg43667/#msg43667

It's a tough line to toe, you just always have to remember to be professional and be ready for whatever your job entails. As for personal style - why not wear a skirt when you know it's a slow day? Just have a change of clothes handy, just in case.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2013, 08:09 am »
What struck me as a bit questionable when reading your post was actually the cowboy boots and not the skirt.  I am not sure of the setting you're in (I assume rehearsal as there is an LD involved) but a loud "clonk clonk clonk" around the studio or stage is never ideal, whether that's in rehearsal or performance.

Cute, so long as it's done professionally and not as if you're headed out to a club, is great; but function comes first.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Car.e.kari

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: PSM
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2013, 12:32 pm »
My boots NEVER clunk! :P lol...I am from the south, I am pretty sure I was born in boots. When it comes down to it I choose function over fashion when there is work to be done. I am just curious if anyone else has thought about the "work wear" of the Stage Manager when your not in rehearsal??
"I can't tell if this is killing me, or making me stronger!"

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2013, 03:03 pm »
I've learned to do most (if not all) of my SM duties in a dress or skirt. I much prefer to wear dresses than pants and very rarely find a situation where I can't do my job for fear of being exposed. For me it's a level of poise and professionalism that I keep up through rehearsals and calling a show, I just feel better when I'm a little more dressed up.

I've definitely had designers and crew with raised eyebrows that I manage to wear a dress to call a show 8 shows a week, but they get over it.

To each their own :)
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2013, 03:42 pm »
Here's the thing to think about . . . if what you wear is causing such commotion, then perhaps that is the note to yourself it might not be appropriate . . . weather be pants, boots, skirts, low cut items, sweets, etc . . .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2013, 04:27 pm »
I agree. If I wore a dress half the people I work with would die of shock....

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2013, 11:09 pm »
I also cause a "commotion" sometimes when I wear a skirt at the office, but it's because my fashionably conscious, and yes, gay, co-worker notices as it's a rarity. I get a compliment every time, but the commotion is because it's out of the ordinary, not distasteful. Today, however, I had to go to the warehouse. Definitely not a skirt day, and I've even taught my boss that although my matching costume for some of our school shows is a skirt, I will be changing into it AFTER we load in at the school.

Oh, that said, once I got into opera, I started stocking up on black dresses, even verging on gowns, as that was the standard attire at one company for opening night backstage.
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2013, 11:12 pm by smejs »

lsears

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, Boston University
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2013, 01:25 am »
As others have said, function comes first, for clothing that means being able to move quickly, quietly, safely without causing a distraction.  Some of my skirts and dresses I can do that in, others I can't.  I wear skirts frequently in the summer because I'm tall and they are more modest than most of my shorts.  But I think with most things attitude and intention count - I'm not wearing things to get noticed, I'm wearing them because being comfortable and looking decent help me to do my job better and garner more respect in the room. 

There is an older French opera director I work with frequently who was thrilled the first time I wore a skirt to rehearsal, I'll never forget it, it was actually the turning point in our working relationship.  He's gay, wasn't interested in me, but it restored some kind of odd familiarity to him in terms of cultural gender roles.

riotous