Author Topic: NYT interview w Pippin PSM  (Read 3201 times)

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
NYT interview w Pippin PSM
« on: Jun 22, 2014, 11:29 am »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/22/business/corner-office-for-michael-passaro-all-the-working-world-is-a-stage.html?_r=1

Interesting that the series says it is interviews with top executives. So I guess a PSM is a top exec? And I wonder if he himself used the term manager or if the article was edite to call it management rather than stage management - that slippery slope we are trying to avoid.

Nice to see this recognition. And so cool for this PSM!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: NYT interview w Pippin PSM
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2014, 02:38 pm »
loebtmc, I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the topic on the slippery slope of Management versus Stage Management?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2014, 09:33 pm »
There were a series of lawsuits about nurses as employees versus managers that came to AEA as a discussion about the role of stage managers, and whether we were, indeed, to be classified as managers or as employees for things like OT and deductions. I will find the info and post - just got back from TCG and I need a minute to unpack and locate things. 

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2014, 09:49 pm »
Among other things, what I recall about the conversation, and it was several years ago, had to do with the "Kentucky River" suit, where employers were trying to get certain nurses out of the union by declaring them management.  The employers argued that anyone who supervised, trained, or scheduled any other employees, was a manager and therefore ineligible for union membership. How courts decide suits of this kind, is still something unions are watching closely. I have heard nothing new, recently.

Here's one link to an article about the case, http://dollarsandsense.org/archives/2006/0906bigman.html and I am sure there are others out there.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the topic on the slippery slope of Management versus Stage Management?

"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2014, 12:21 am »
Thanks Ruth - just got back to the computer and was about to look up the Kentucky Nurses decisions - and yes, it included qualifying for union membership and union negotiated benefits. Thanks for saving me some work!

BTW (off topic) we are hoping to talk TCG into having a stage management segment with the next conference. Even tho it took a little initial prompting (from me and from the two other SMs present), it was really really great to hear all those producers/directors/designers/playwrights vociferously acknowledge the vital role of the stage manager as a vital part of the creative team and the key link between the creative and technical sides of things.

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2014, 12:32 am »
Here is the thread where we discussed this topic, back in 2011: http://smnetwork.org/forum/the-green-room/who-are-we-anyway/
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

riotous