Author Topic: Name change and resume/references  (Read 3635 times)

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
  • Experience: Professional
Name change and resume/references
« on: Sep 02, 2011, 12:43 pm »
Okay, I am completely stumped about how to handle this and could use some input.  I just got divorced.  Just, as in yesterday.  I have reverted from a rather distincitve last name to my maiden name, which is more common.
Unfortunately, almost ALL the work I have done in this city was while I was married, and my website is my full married name. 
So, how do I indicate that Jessica L. was previous know as Jessica F., so that when prospective employers call my references (or other people they know worked on shows I've worked) they know who the heck I am?
I really, REALLY do not want my ex-husband's name to continue to appear on my resume and website, but I do need people to know who I am when someone calls asking about Jessica L.
Figuring this out was the thing I was dreading most about the divorce.  Help?
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Name change and resume/references
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2011, 12:59 pm »
I'd say the best thing to do is email/contact  your references saying you are no longer going by your married name and are going by your maiden name again. Your resume will continue to speak for itself, so will your website. The only thing that needs to be really informed about the change are your references....probably your webmaster as well so you can re-register your website under your maiden name.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2011, 01:03 pm »
I know that in the online database, the whole thing is registered under my AEA name, but for shows I did previously, it has my actual name in parentheses "(as Liz Richards)."
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2011, 01:04 pm »
Similarly, if you apply somewhere you have previously worked (with the married name), just give them a heads up that while the name has changed, you're still the same you.
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

riotous