Author Topic: Musical Misfortune  (Read 5130 times)

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
  • Experience: Professional
Musical Misfortune
« on: Jan 29, 2010, 01:46 pm »
The last three shows I've worked on have all, in some way shape or form, included the song "Single Ladies," and it now seems permenantly embedded on my psyche (unfortunate as that is).  In addition, my inner DJ keeps mixing it with "All That Jazz," and "Rule Brittiana," both, also, from the current show.  Ocasionally my brain will jump tracks in the middle of a line, or put lyrics from one song on the tune of another, and it's really getting annoying.

What musical mayhem is your current show wreaking on your brain?
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
Re: Musical Misfortune
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2010, 04:41 pm »
I did a show that involved a lot of original music written by a pretty neat indie rock band. (Cloud Cult, for those curious.) I loved their music and got a signed CD from them, but the show involved a lot of intricate light/sound/video sequences cued off the music. I can't hear some of the songs without having a mini-panic over the onslaught of cues coming up. :)
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

killerdana

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2010, 02:21 am »
About 15 years ago, during my senior year of high school, I had a horrible experience working on "The Music Man."  School politics, clashing cast members, illness (my lungs have never fully recovered from the bronchitis that ran through the cast and crew).  I had nightmares about the songs through the entire process (I wish I could say that I'm exaggerating, but sadly I'm not).  To this day, hearing the song "Seventy-Six Trombones" makes me break into a cold sweat and go running from the room.
Science without art is sterile.  --Albert Einstein

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2010, 02:34 pm »
We were doing "Annie" just after doing "Oliver!" two shows prior (two kiddie shows in one season. Yikes.) and the music was haunting me in my sleep. On our only two days off a group of us decided to drive the next state over for an overnight trip. We went to a strip mall, walked into a store and I instantly felt uneasy but didn't know why. Then I realized it was the music they were playing over their speakers: "Tomorrow." I clapped my hands over my ears and walked straight out.

nmno

« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2010, 06:38 pm »
I worked on Jersey Boys for 2.5 years.  Hearing "Sherry" or "Walk Like a Man" or even "Marianne" out in the real world (elevators, hotel lobbies, radio, 50's theme restaurants) was pretty standard and I got pretty good at ignoring it.  Although I did have a time when I was on vacation, in a shop in Santa Cruz, and with the first bar of music I recognized the opening of the show, Ce Soiree La ("Oh What a Night" in French)...  Really?!

The flip side is certain songs I hear and with them I automatically hear a phantom voice in my head saying "Electric 5, Go."

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2010, 05:54 pm »
I'm currently working on Seussical and "Alone in the Universe" just tends to sit in my head all day long, and when it leaves it's usually because "Oh the Thinks You Can Think" has pushed it out of the way.

vsm315

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2010, 11:52 am »
I just did that tour of Seussical this fall and ALL of the songs never ever leave. I am still singing them almost two months later. But Alone in the Universe is just so beautiful if you have the right singers and Nick is definitely the right Horton.

Hope the tour is going well.

riotous