Author Topic: live weapons on stage!  (Read 4668 times)

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
live weapons on stage!
« on: Jun 05, 2015, 12:46 pm »
Holy cow! Where was their stage manager in this? Another director who wants to use a real knife without safety measures.....

http://news.yahoo.com/arizona-actor-accidentally-stabbed-during-performance-180848155.html
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2015, 11:07 pm by loebtmc »

mkristinect

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: TPS
  • Current Gig: Freelance
Re: live weapons on stage!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2015, 03:02 pm »
Ugh.  Makes me sick.  I can't even imagine how horrible that would be for everyone.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2015, 03:09 pm »
How many times does this have to happen? It's totally preventable and just makes my heart hurt.
Where was the fight choreographer? Where was the SM? Where was the props master? Why didn't the actor(s) object?

ETA: We're dealing with this in my show right now- no combat, but a lot of "cooking" onstage, in full view of the audience, with dialog about the specific food items being chopped. The knives have to be sharp enough to cut a carrot and some scallions, but dull enough that we're not as concerned with actor injury. Our props master tested various levels of sharpness before we found the right balance.
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2015, 03:13 pm by bex »
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

mkristinect

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2015, 04:44 pm »
ETA: We're dealing with this in my show right now- no combat, but a lot of "cooking" onstage, in full view of the audience, with dialog about the specific food items being chopped. The knives have to be sharp enough to cut a carrot and some scallions, but dull enough that we're not as concerned with actor injury. Our props master tested various levels of sharpness before we found the right balance.

Really?  (Tangent, sorry.)  It seems like if the knife is being used as a functioning tool instead of a weapon it would be safer to have it sharper.  Slicing a carrot with a dull knife can be pretty deadly.  How did you find that balance?
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2015, 04:45 pm by mkristinect »

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2015, 06:35 pm »
Really?  (Tangent, sorry.)  It seems like if the knife is being used as a functioning tool instead of a weapon it would be safer to have it sharper.  Slicing a carrot with a dull knife can be pretty deadly.  How did you find that balance?

Dulling the tip and first inch of so of the blade to prevent accidental stabbing, actually. Leaving the sharper part of the blade closer to the handle for actual cutting.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

mkristinect

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2015, 06:39 pm »
Dulling the tip and first inch of so of the blade to prevent accidental stabbing, actually. Leaving the sharper part of the blade closer to the handle for actual cutting.
Ahh!  Good idea.  I'll have to keep that in mind.

maximillionx

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2015, 10:51 pm »

Just had to do that in a show ourselves! it's a delicate balance....
Once had a show that required blanks to be fired offstage.  It was handled by our Company Manager's husband, a local police officer.  DEFINITELY preferred a guy with that kind of weapons training handling our guns.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2015, 03:58 pm »
remember, a chair can be dangerous . . . a food prop can choke an actor.  theater is a dangerous sport, and no short cuts should ever be taken.  sad.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.