Author Topic: Lip-syncing at Cosi open  (Read 2735 times)

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
  • Experience: Professional
Lip-syncing at Cosi open
« on: Oct 19, 2010, 03:12 pm »
Thought this would start an interesting discussion: was this the right choice?

http://charlotte.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/theater_review_cosi_fan_tutte/Content?oid=1077697

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
Re: Lip-syncing at Cosi open
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2010, 04:45 pm »
It is a fairly common practice in the opera world.  I did a Tosca some years back where our Tosca blew out her voice during orchestra dress, so we did the exact same thing for the student matinee/final dress, since there was only enough time to get the replacement into town, but not rehearsed, for that morning (luckily there was a day off between orchestra dress and the student matinee).  I have also heard this type of scenario taking place in several other companies for various productions.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2010, 04:48 pm »
I am not sure all the fact on the situation are presented in the article, often the facts of these events are slipped out by various people.

But given the high demands of opera, I am not surprised these events happen.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

cschott

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: adjunct SM faculty at Carnegie Mellon University
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2010, 11:29 pm »
Though not a great choice, it's often the only choice an opera company has in this situation, especially if there are no covers for the roles.  There've been some doosies like this at the Pittsburgh Opera in the past few years, the most well-known of which was when the MAESTRO sang Radames in Act 3 of Aida because the singer was ill and his "sing-from-the-pit" replacement/lip-sync singer didn't make it to Pittsburgh in time for the show or even in time for Act 3 (flight delays).  The original singer made a valiant effort and sang the first 2 acts, but was on the verge of literally ruining his voice, so the sound department quickly set up a microphone in the pit near the podium and the conductor sang the role with the original singer walking the staging and lip-synching.  Honestly, opera audiences revel in this stuff.  Much as a company doesn't want it to happen, many of the regular audience members find it fascinating - the reason to see live theatre.

And Jason Karn was in the young artist program at Pittsburgh Opera.  I worked with him for several years there.