Author Topic: Side Gigs  (Read 2969 times)

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Side Gigs
« on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:54 pm »
So not only did I finish my first day of tech today, I also found out I booked my first hand-and-foot-modelling gig. Yes, really. An actress I worked with suggested I submit to a friend of hers' agent, since I wear a size 5 and have high arches (apparently ideal for shoe/foot modelling). And I booked a gig! I'll be working with an artist in NZ, sending her photos of my hands and feet for an art class, and paid per batch of photos. Especially great, since I can do it fairly quickly in my off hours. Anyway, nice new weird side gig.

I have also been an undercover shopper! I've once or twice been paid to get a massage. Perfect. :)

So, what are your side gigs, if any? How else do you make money, using your SM skills or not?
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
Re: Side Gigs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2013, 04:45 am »
Jealous! I always wanted to do foot modeling but my feet are too big. Pretty, but no one wants a size 10.  :(

Instead I have just gotten into Sales and it is working out really well for me. I can work part time flexible hours, but still make a good living if I am selling well. And all of the skills from Stage Management have made me a better sales person- I listen to each customers needs and then match them to the best product for them. We actually had a seminar a couple of months ago that stressed that we aren't selling products- we are selling solutions. And finding solutions to problems is such a huge part of being an SM.

I really enjoy it and hope that they continue to work with my schedule.  :D

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:30 am »
Make sure you stay away from irons and puffy shirts!  :)
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:49 pm »
I really enjoy being a research subject for studies and trials. I live in Boston so it helps that there are a million and a half medical schools and hospitals but it's fun easy money for a few hours when I'm not doing anything else anyway.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

leastlikely

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The White Snake - Constellation Theatre Company
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2013, 03:02 pm »
I have adorably tiny feet (I got an x-ray a few months back and the tech giggled at my feet. come on they're a size US6.5, they're not THAT small!!) but have a huge tattoo on one of them, so no :P

Last week I started a new temp office job (first day job in a year and a half, I've been doing ONLY theatre) and, if my first two days are indicative of the rest of my time here, it appears that I'm going to be pulling staples for eight hours a day. It's dreadful. But alas, I need a paycheck that's more (and steadier) than the couple hundred dollars I get for two months of work on a non-union show.