Author Topic: Housing for National Tours  (Read 3446 times)

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
  • Experience: Professional
Housing for National Tours
« on: Dec 10, 2013, 07:53 am »
I have some housing opportunities in large metropolitan areas that are frequented by National tours. I was thinking it would not only be helpful to me and my business but to the company members of such tours to offer my housing as an alternative. I know frequently on longer stops company members will rent apartments or choose an alternative to the hotel especially when they can save money. Does anyone have an idea of how I could make this information available? I figured talking to the CM would be best since they are in charge of that information  but there contact is  rarely readily available in advance. I was thinking first figuring out who is producing company or GM and start from there letting them know what I have available?  Anyone have more advice on this? I think it would be great for someone involved in Theatre and who understands the nature of the gig to be providing housing especially at discounted rates. Also let me know if what I am thinking is completely ridiculous. Thanks!
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Housing for National Tours
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2013, 08:45 pm »
Company managers are the indeed are the ones who make these arrangements - and often do in bulk, or in relationships they have made over years (I know one CM who gets a suite comp'ed from him in Chicago due to how many bookings he has done over the years).  I am unsure how to reach out to groups of company managers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

nmno

Re: Housing for National Tours
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2013, 09:30 pm »
A lot of non-company housing is done by word of mouth (a person has stayed there before and returns, or sends the info along to their friends, etc.)  The CM on the tours *might* share the information but I imagine they'd have to worry about being liable (what if the place ends up being shady and it was "recommended" by the company manager...)  Plus, they've already got plenty of work to do arranging regular Company Housing - they don't want to field all the non-company housing options too.

A lot of people seek housing on Airbnb, VRBO, etc. (include in your posting that you are a theatre person as well).  You could post the information at the theatres in the cities (won't help for this time, but they'll note the info for the next time they are thru or can pass the info on to friends who will be thru soon.)  Social media/Facebook - NYC, Chicago & LA have Gypsy housing pages.  Post on forums like this...