Author Topic: Help, creepy assistant director  (Read 2873 times)

Captiongoeshere

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: High School
Help, creepy assistant director
« on: Mar 02, 2016, 08:11 pm »
So I'm a senior in high school and our directors husband always assistant directs even though he's never listed in the program. She blocks the show and he comes in behind her and fine tunes everything. He's always hanging out at the theatre after school hours for our rehearsals. This year we are doing catch me if you can and all of the female dance numbers are very mature. Even though he doesn't need to be there he sits in the audience and watches. He's always super creepy around the girls and although he leaves the guys alone, for the most part, they are equally freaked out with his behavior. He is easily in his sixties 6'4" and big not to mention he's the husband of our director who is super unpredictable. This has been going on since my freshman year and since I'm a senior and the SM I feel like I should say something but it might cause my director to loose respect for me or cut me from the show. However I dont want me or my cast to feel uncomfortable at rehearsal. Please send help.

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Help, creepy assistant director
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2016, 08:46 pm »
Go to your guidance counselor, homeroom teacher, assistant principal or another school staff member. Bring some cast members along -- there is strength in numbers. Tell the staff member in plain language that this AD's  behavior is making the cast uncomfortable. Here's some language I have used in the past, in comparable situations:

"We came to you for help. We love doing theater and we love our school, but this behavior makes us feel unsafe."

Then -- also important -- wait for the staff member to respond to your statement. You will be nervous and it will be awkward, but you have no obligation to fix the awkwardness.

About the director losing respect for you... you have a serious concern that is shared by several classmates. If noticing unprofessional or threatening behavior is grounds for dismissal... there are bigger problems. My humble opinion is that you have a responsibility to address the bigger problems. You might SM this show and forget all about it in one or two or ten years, but you will always remember this opportunity to stand up for your peers and your shared values.

Good luck and keep the SMNetwork posted.

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Help, creepy assistant director
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2016, 12:11 pm »
Document everything that the female actors have said and notify the school. Does he have permission to be in the school working with students as an assistant director? Depending on the school and its policies, they will have to go through some background check. This could end up being an issue for the school, and a much bigger problem for the school and not you.

I agree with megf-you have a serious concern and it shared by other students. Good luck with this, and let us know how else we can help.