Author Topic: gaining new perspective  (Read 6194 times)

BlueRidgeSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
gaining new perspective
« on: Jun 27, 2011, 09:52 am »
So this summer I am actually volunteering as an assistant director with the local company that does Shakespeare in the park.  I have pretty much stopped SMing for them as they do not pay SMs (but they do pay the director and the designers).  But I had a free month this summer in July, and so I am working in my volunteer gig as an AD on a Shakespeare production inbetween my SM shows (last show closed June 19th, next one begins rehearsal August 8th). 

We haven't even started rehearsal yet, but it has been really interesting so far seeing things from a different perspective.  I have really enjoyed getting emails from the SM and seeing how they are handling things, dissemination of information, finding rehearsal locations, etc.  I think because I have no formal training as an SM (again, I do have a degree in theatre but there were no SM classes at my university) and sort of just jumped into it without really ASMing at all, my perspective can be a little limited.  My methods are the things I have worked out that work best for me, but I have so little exposure to other methods that I find it really interesting to see what other people do and how they handle things.  One of the reasons why I joined this board was to get more exposure to other SMs and how they do things!

So.... what is your favorite way of gaining some new perspective?   :)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: gaining new perspective
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2011, 12:14 pm »
I have to say, the biggest leap forward I took as a stage manager was the two years I directed, and the time I spent as an AD and a designer.  You just see the show from the different perspective. 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

dallas10086

• View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2011, 08:47 pm »
Once in a blue moon - or every year Haley's Comet makes an appearance! - I decide to audition for something. Anything. It reminds me to empathize with the process actors have to go through. I think we all need those reminders from time to time.

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2011, 09:05 pm »
I do still perform with some regularity (and being an SM always helps there too) so I just got a whole new, if oddly come by, appreciation for our too-often invisible but truly essential profession. My most recent show had no SM, and, well, suffice it to say there was a whole level of missing info and greater communications, to things as basic as show calls, that didn't happen  (what? it's 1/2 hour and you are now telling me that tonite, and tonite only, there will be a band instead of just piano, and there is no time to run the numbers once?) and, well, when the proverbial stuff hit the fan, no one was on the producer's side when he needed a favor. As opposed to, a good SM, someone to whom actors can bitch and moan, take production issues, get show calls and hear about things that impact the performers and performances before they turn into recipes for disaster.....

Rebbe

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2011, 11:57 pm »
Last year I SM’ed for a small dance company.  I got to sweep the stage, run lights and sound, and even help with load-in for the first time in a while.  It was a good refresher on what it’s like to get hand-on with those tasks, and to work solo.  The other great part was how self-sufficient the dancers were, and how genuinely thankful they were for even the smallest help I gave them (I was only there for the run, they’d been on their own for rehearsals).  The experience reminded me both of what I value about being an Equity member, and of how cool it is when no one stands on ceremony of what “their job” is, instead everyone helps out in any way they can. 
"...allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster."  (Philip Henslowe, Shakespeare In Love)

BlueRidgeSM

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2011, 09:44 am »
A couple of years ago, I did audition for a musical.  I wanted a chorus role; I have musical training and I can hold a tune, I just don't have a particularly strong voice.  Needless to say, my audition was a disaster (I had not auditioned in over ten years).  As I was walking out, the SM asked me if I would be interested in ASMing if I wasn't cast.  Well, of course I wasn't cast, so I ASM'd the show and that was one of the most painful experiences of my life, for a variety of reasons.  I learned that I never want to ASM at that particular theatre again.  So now, even though there have been shows I would have been interested in auditioning for as a chorus role, if they throw me the SM bone first I always take it, because I would rather SM the show than audition, not be cast, and end up as ASM. 

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2011, 05:37 pm »
I've done a few different jobs over the past couple years. I never want to be the props person again, that job is Hard - many kudos to propsmasters. Being the electrician/light board op was useful, and I learned a few new skills. Sound designer and sound board op was fine, rather simple, kinda boring. I have no desire to do costumes. I'm now an assistant tech director (overseeing lights and sound, and calling the show). Just last night I got to help for a very tiny bit with the set build, and remembered quickly I don't like doing that. Since my schedule doesn't allow me to stage manage very much any more, I've tried to be involved with about one show per year. But I really miss stage management. Maybe next summer I can fit it back into my schedule.

Lauren

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Western Michigan University Alumni
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager, National Tour of Mamma Mia!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2011, 04:56 pm »
As a former actor/dancer, I try to perform in something once a year or so, which helps me keep the actor's perspective in mind. I also really love carpentry, so I volunteer to help build on most shows (my SM "uhm, that sharp metal edge is a bit of a problem, can we grind that down?" instincts always kick in though). Being in college makes this a bit easier, of course, since I have immediate access to the scene shop, and their schedule doesn't tend to conflict with rehearsal times. I also directed once, and that was probably the biggest perspective shift for me, but I learned a lot (and got the most personal affirmation that I love/missed SMing). I'd also really like to try being a TD at some point, as I think that would be interesting.
"The truth is rarely pure, and never simple" -Oscar Wilde

Joshua S.

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Production Manager - Mason Gross School of the Arts
« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2011, 05:23 pm »
A couple years ago I took a hiatus from stage managing.  I felt an inevitable "snap" coming so I knew i had to.  Since then I've designed lighting and/or sound for a dozen and a half shows, worked as a costume technician, took a job as a house manager, and of course held down "real" jobs through all that as well.  I'm finally getting back into stage managing this coming september (which I'm completely thrilled about) and I definitely feel that these experiences will make me a better stage manager.  As a designer I could view the job from a different perspective and evaluate the stage managers I worked with in comparison to myself.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #9 on: Jul 01, 2011, 02:46 pm »
I've spent the last month doing props on the set of a training film. I rarely do work outside of theatre and I've never done props before- it has reaffirmed my respect for props artisans and the work they do. It's been fun and challenging, but it makes me appreciate stage management and theatre in general all the more.

riotous