Author Topic: fun article on edible props  (Read 2503 times)

loebtmc

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
fun article on edible props
« on: Sep 08, 2014, 12:24 pm »
http://www.props.eric-hart.com/reprints/edible-props-1987/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+eric-hart%2FXWsp+%28Props%29

(Thanks Ruth E Kramer!)

When we did The Real Thing, the director wanted the audience to see the mimosa's being made - and drunk - in their traditional clear champagne glasses, but our lead was allergic to OJ, so we pulverized sweet orange peppers and mixed them with our sparkling stand-in for champagne. The actors said it was actually not bad!
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2014, 06:22 pm by Maribeth »

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: fun article on edible props
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2014, 12:31 pm »
Very fun read, thanks for sharing!

Dart

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: GALA Hispanic Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Re: fun article on edible props
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2014, 07:44 pm »
This reminds me of my latest edible prop adventure, which I've been meaning to share with you all for about a week.

My current show involves two bottles of champagne being popped open and drank in their entirety every single performance. One of my actors doesn't drink alcohol at ALL, and all the sparkling cider we were able to find had a screwtop or a cap. It seems there's some (impossible to find) national legislation through which only real alcoholic drinks are allowed to have corks.

So I spent three hours the night after our first 10-of-12 on Google. Here's what I found:

1) Trader Joe's carries a "Sparkling Chardonnay Grape Juice" (for $3 a pop, which turned out to be the cheapest AND easiest approach) that is allowed to have a cork because it's apparently made from real Chardonnay grapes, although not fermented.
2) Although it seems like a "duh" moment, I hadn't thought of non-alcoholic champagne until I took to Google, but there are several different brands that make non-alcoholic versions of their champagne. We didn't explore this path because we'd settled on the above faux-Chardonnay, but these should be carried in some wine and/or liquor stores.
3) If you just need the champagne, without popping the cork, ginger ale is a perfectly acceptable substitute. It can go in a champagne bottle, and there are champagne re-capping systems for sale on ebay. The caps are white plastic and don't look real, but foil on top should be able to cover that up.