Author Topic: Food, Tech Dinners, etc (Merged Topics)  (Read 42590 times)

Laurs

• New to Town
  • "You're the SPASM!!!"
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Fordham Theatre Company, Roundabout Theatre Company
Re: Snacks
« Reply #60 on: Nov 01, 2006, 02:00 pm »
I tend to keep dried fruit and nuts around me during rehearsal and meetings for my snacking needs.  They are small, quiet, discreet, non-messy and also pack a bit of an energy boost.  If I don't have something to snack on with me I fear falling prey to the junk food in the vending machine.  Something that I do not need to be eating when sitting in blocking rehearsals.

I actually have an oral raw food allergy and dried fruits, fresh fruits and veggies and nuts tend to become more of a distraction because, while i can eat them, they tend to cause my mouth to itch or sting. I'm looking for some sort of solution...something without a wrapper...
Amie: Noah! Plincessen!
Noah: Nein! T-Rex!!

dawilliams9

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: Snacks
« Reply #61 on: Nov 02, 2006, 11:52 am »
Peanut butter crackers are great! They're cheap and filling.

blaha_haha

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Food, Tech Dinners, etc (Merged Topics)
« Reply #62 on: Feb 17, 2007, 09:23 pm »
As a student SM, I dont ahve access to a fridge or a microwave. My tech week diet consists of Starbucks in the morning, pizza/ salad at lunch (if i have time), and pretzels and vitamin water for dinner.

lejenna

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #63 on: Feb 18, 2007, 03:24 am »
Laurs:

I think the solution to your problem lies in the kind of accommodations you have on hand:

Ultra-plush luxury (access to fridge and microwave):

If you're looking for something healthy and cooked, what about frozen veggies / fruit?  All the health, but the veggies are already cooked (avoiding the raw food allergy).  I have an SM friend who loves to keep frozen strawberries on hand, because they pack a nice healthy boost of energy, and she gets a bit of a cool snack; it's almost like having sorbet on hand.  The other food to try might be microwavable popcorn- without butter it's still in the healthy arena.  You can even get them in the single serving packs now. 

Some luxury (access to a microwave):

The microwaveable popcorn is still definitely possible, as well as pretzels or animal crackers.  They list a little more to the junk food side of things, but if you eat them in small quantities it's not too bad.  You can still go for the frozen veggies if you plan ahead and pack them into a cooler with an ice pack (they can even work as the ice pack for your dinner....)

No luxury (no access to kitchen amenities):

When you get down to this level, it's really all in the planning.  But that's what stage managers are best at, right?  Organize yourself so that you've got a cooler packed with all of your goodies the night before.  Frozen veggies, licorice whips, animal crackers, pretzels, pre-popped popcorn (the stuff they sell at the grocery store in the chip aisle...) or any other snack can all get loaded into a bag or cooler for the day.  Make sure to bring along a liter or liter and a half bottle of water so that you don't get dehydrated- and also to wash off hands as needed!

Good luck :)

Matt.L

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Feb 20, 2007, 07:10 pm »
I go for good old cake, maybe sometimes pasta but drink water more than eat when im busy

gNat

• New to Town
  • it's a dinosnore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Feb 22, 2007, 01:58 pm »
This thread was great . . . I'm still in university housing, so I only have access to a fridge and microwave at home (although I'm considering getting a crock pot), PLUS I'm a vegatarian, so most fast food is just not an option for me. The past couple of weeks, I've been so busy with multiple show openings that I've gotten to the place where I forget to eat, because searching out food is just such a hassle that I haven't the time for.  I saw quite a few people mention hummus - YUM!  Does anyone know how long an unopened container will last, though?  I bought a small container 2-3 weeks ago, haven't opened it yet, just sitting in my fridge.  It should still be good, right?
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
- The Princess Bride

zayit shachor

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • http://thankyouten.blogspot.com
« Reply #66 on: Feb 22, 2007, 05:04 pm »
Does anyone know how long an unopened container will last, though?  I bought a small container 2-3 weeks ago, haven't opened it yet, just sitting in my fridge.  It should still be good, right?

If it's unopened, it should be okay. I've kept it that long and it's been fine.

gNat

• New to Town
  • it's a dinosnore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Feb 24, 2007, 01:52 pm »
The container says sell by June 2007, so I think I'm good.  Opened it, looks fine, tastes normal.  Thanks for the advice!

(Ha!  That table!  Cheese Wiz never goes bad, it's true!  Of course, it's never good, either ...)
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
- The Princess Bride

lejenna

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #68 on: Mar 16, 2007, 04:01 am »
This might be a completely different topic, but I just hit on the best snack idea I've ever had for my cast: I've set up a tea station in the green room.  I have about six 1.5 liter bottles of water (the theater doesn't have potable water), a selection of green and black teas, a small container of sugar and creamer and I also bring along an electric kettle.

The cast has been completely in love with it from the first night- hooray!

Balletdork

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: PSM, The Human Race Theatre Company
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #69 on: Mar 16, 2007, 11:14 am »
Yeah- we keep ton's of tea's at the coffee station! It's great! :)

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Experience: Professional
Cooking for Stage Management
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2008, 11:28 pm »
In chat tonight we were discussing staying healthy during hectic times . . . .as pointed out a lot of that has to do with taking care of yourself, eating well, getting plenty of sleep, etc. 

I'm completely serious . . .does anyone have any Stage Management Superfoods that they make and enjoy?

My favorite is a pasta salad that has plenty of diced onion, carrots, bell pepper, parsley, relish, and chicken in it . . .I figure it has a serving of just about everything, and I can make a huge batch of it that will last me forever.

"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Cooking for Stage Management
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2008, 01:25 am »
Apple Walnut Salad. It has a whole meal with every nutritious thing you could need plus a sweet taste that counts as dessert.

Romaine lettuce
Cubed apples (granny smith or golden delicious are my favs)
crumbled blue cheese
candied walnuts (or pecans if you prefer)
raspberry (or balsamic) vinaigrette dressing

I like to stick them in plastic cups or small Tupperware bins and shake them to get an even blend. It is so delicious and has prolonged energy powers. Plus, they are quick to eat. Really I can create a menu around two or three ingredients that can last the week. Take the apples with some grapes and vanilla yogurt and the walnuts and you have a fruit salad. I just love to cook, but the salad is the ideal meal when you only have a few minutes and need a burst of energy (much better than energy drinks could ever be).
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

BLee

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • BrandyLee Hatcher, SM
  • Affiliations: University of California-Irvine, Graduate SM, Class of '13
  • Current Gig: Assistant Stage Manager at Disneyland Resorts
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2008, 01:29 am »
Oh, and my mother created a trail mix that is great for Tech Week:

Chex mix (original)
dried cranberries (tons)
butterscotch chips
white chocolate chips
M&Ms
candied peanuts
XX. The only valid excuse for missing one's cue is death.
-Proverb from the Techie Bible.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2008, 08:33 am »
I make giant batches of tabbouleh and couscous when getting ready for tech week.

The tabbouleh I fill with cucumbers, tomatoes, lots of fresh parsley, and some lentils or a veggie protein product for nutrition (I've a vegetarian). I put lemon juice over the top, usually by packing a few lemon slices in the container and squeezing them right before I eat.

The couscous has similar fresh ingredients, including chickpeas, fresh green peas, cucumbers, tomatoes, parsley or other lettuces, red and green bell peppers, or whatever else looks good and fresh in the market. The couscous also gets fresh lemon juice, or maybe even a vinaigrette salad dressing.

Both of these middle eastern treats are great for busy schedules because they don't need to be refrigerated, can be eaten quietly (crunching potato chips at the tech table drives me batty!), need only a spoon or fork (which you can pack or often find), and are full of nutrition.

I am also a huge fan of protein bars, but that's not really a recipe. :)

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2008, 08:47 am »
If you want to be a real healthy rabbit, you can shred some raw beets and carrots, toss in a handful of golden raisins, and sprinkle with red wine vinegar.

Raw power food!
(I know some people who absolutely love this dish. I sort of like it okay.)

riotous