Author Topic: Food, Tech Dinners, etc (Merged Topics)  (Read 42482 times)

groovygert

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://groovygert.tripod.com/
Food
« Reply #15 on: Oct 05, 2005, 01:25 am »
tonight i had oriental noodles and a vegetable egg roll i picked up on the way to the theater.

YesItsKat

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://
Food
« Reply #16 on: Oct 06, 2005, 01:09 am »
I aways take a Miracle Whip jar full of Lemonade to rehearsals with me.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Food
« Reply #17 on: Oct 06, 2005, 01:57 am »
What I used to do going into techs was to pick up a box of non-sweet cereal (usually crispix or chex was the best, occasionally kix or cheerios, something self-contained and not to crumbly or crunchy) and keep it next to the tech table for snacking.  Usually almost everyone grabbed a handful but it would last just long enough to get us through techs and dresses.

Tashi

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Food
« Reply #18 on: Oct 06, 2005, 11:25 am »
Celery sticks! Haha they're almost part of my kit really. Always have some with me and part of my morning routine is making myself a homemade dip (chives, philly cheese and some seasoning, mix well in a bowl, add whatever else you want). That usually keeps me going a while. If I've done chicken on the weekend and I have leftovers I'll do a chicken salad.
And a bottle of some energy drink. Lucozade being the one of choice at the moment.
-- Tash

hbelden

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
maybe a different thread
« Reply #19 on: Oct 07, 2005, 10:25 am »
Do actors expect the SM to provide tech snacks, the way none of them come to the first read through with pencils or highlighters?  My first few techs, I brought my favorite snack foods - enough for three long days of tech - and without asking, everyone snarfed them down and I was empty by the first break.

So I stopped buying snack foods for tech - I bought sandwiches, figuring no one would ask for a bite of my sandwich.  I didn't have much money for food at the time, and I certainly didn't have enough to feed all cast and crew!

Lately I've been getting paid more (thank goodness) so I picked up some stuff at Trader Joe's expecting that I would share it with others.  Rosencrunch and Guildernpop was a big hit. ("To crunch, or not to crunch")  But I unexpectedly found that I actually had to offer it to people, and even later in the day, people asked before taking a bite.  Did I just have an uncommonly polite cast on that show?
--
Heath Belden

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right." - Sondheim
--

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
Food
« Reply #20 on: Oct 07, 2005, 04:59 pm »
It all depends on the specific people involved, but generally speaking I have found out that any food on my table in the rehearsal hall becomes fair game if it's more than enough for one person (i.e., a box of triscuits or animal crackers, not just one sandwich).  When in doubt and you want it for yourself, don't display it.  I actually had one director who would constantly eye my table and I'd say, "It's paper.  You can't eat THAT" for specific items he'd strangely start eyeing that were near where food HAD been at one point.

During tech, any food on the tech table is considered fair game for ALL designers/director/SMs/Etc front of house.  Actors rarely even see it.  If I don't want people to eat, I'll close the box or whatever, and place next to me in the seat or under the table.  That said, I usually find something like the large containers of Walmart/Sam's Club animal crackers that are cheap and relatively enjoyed by everyone that I will place to stave off everyone's nibblies.

Erin

Melugin

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Food
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2006, 03:53 am »
honestly-- i'm a vending machine girl. it's quite expensive, and i'm giving all of your choices a try!

I enjoy reading this thread!

-Melugin
If All the World's a Stage, i want to operate the Trap Door!

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
food
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 12:56 pm »
Luna and Cliff bars are awesome - if it's a stressful, busy production, they become nearly all I eat. Sometimes I make a big batch of gazpacho and sip it from a travel mug - but then I have garlicky breath. PB&J sandwiches are standard-issue, and I usually have a few apples/oranges on the tech table. Bags of pretzels usually live in my office. Basically, I gather up no-fridge, no-reheating, no-mess, no-utensil, eat-while-standing snacks to carry me through the show. Otherwise, I can forget to eat for days (it's happened).

killerdana

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Food
« Reply #23 on: Jun 03, 2006, 12:58 am »
I'm a huge fan of fruit leather and almonds.  Fruit leather (for those who've never had it) is basically individually wrapped strips of dried fruit. Since you have a wrapper, you don't get sticky fingers.  Almonds are also great protein boosts when you need them.  I also like to make wraps instead of sandwiches--less bready stuff to slow you down--just by wrapping some veggies with a little grated cheese and maybe a little dressing in a tortilla.  If you wrap that up in saran wrap or foil it stays really tidy and stays fresh in an insulated bag (I'd stick in an ice pack if there was meat).  The dried fruit, nuts, granola bars are also really good to have on hand if there are any diabetics or people with other blood sugar issues around--my fruit leather has saved the day more than once.

Other than that: water, water, water.  I know many SMs swear by coffee, but it raises your heart beat and stress level (being a stimulant), and I know just SMing already does that for me.
Science without art is sterile.  --Albert Einstein

oso_te_great

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Food
« Reply #24 on: Jun 03, 2006, 03:22 am »
I worked with this sm who had just graduated from U/Idaho, and he seemed pretty effecient at what he did, and he swore by red bull.  As his assistant, I used Diet Pepsi as my stimulant, but then suffered the consequences of going to the bathroom a lot (I was a spot op).  My main food source was subway.
Malcolm Foster
Seattle Academy Class of 2007
University of Montana Class of 2011

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Food
« Reply #25 on: Jun 03, 2006, 09:43 am »
I am living on food I can eat with chopsticks now - that means rice, currys and stirfrys.

aveam2003

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Food
« Reply #26 on: Jun 04, 2006, 01:46 am »
I'm just a massively big fan of pre-cooked microwable meals. It's easy, quick and some are relatively healthy too. Then, there is of course the salads too but my big time favourite remains the pre-cooked microwable meals!

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
Food
« Reply #27 on: Jun 04, 2006, 04:43 am »
String cheese and hummus!
Ordo ab chao

TechGal

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: IATSE
Food
« Reply #28 on: Jun 05, 2006, 02:16 pm »
I almost always live on peanut butter crackers during tech.  They are very filling and have helped me through some very long days/nights when breaks are few and far between.  I get a small case of them at the dollar store so it doesn't me much either.

BalletPSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Stage Management Faculty at Baylor University
Food
« Reply #29 on: Jun 08, 2006, 02:29 am »
Coffee...i know its completely bad for you and raises blood pressure and all that...but I am totally addicted to Skim Lattes.

At the ballet company whenever a dancer goes to starbucks (there's one right next to the theatre) between their warm up class and half hour, they know they don't dare leave without stopping to ask me if they can get me something...and really, they don't even have to do that, they just come to me to get my $4 (yes...its an expensive vice!) to pay for it.  during Nutcracker last season there were two girls in particular who became my "dealers" as i started to call them.  At the end of our run I got them each a gift card to starbucks for carrying my coffee for three weeks straight!

during tech week i tend to try and eat at least one vegetable and one piece of fruit throughout the day -- i know you're supposed to have a lot more but i think its best to set realistic goals here.  =)
Stage managing is getting to do everything your mom told you not to do - read in the dark, sit too close to the TV, and play with the light switches!

riotous