Author Topic: Facebook Group for SMNet members  (Read 15061 times)

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Facebook Group for SMNet members
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2015, 08:03 am »
I've noticed the same, Byron, and had the same thoughts, as well. Kay, you do what you have to do. It is a pity, that one bad apple gets to spoil it all.

Maybe not the appropriate place to post this, but I have to say that I have seen that particular person's behavior over several different SM groups on Facebook and it's pretty much the same M.O. in each one. I have to admit that it's a pretty big turn off and should I ever come across his resume it's certainly going to weigh heavily against his favor.
<snip>
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2015, 01:21 pm »
If you look back across the history of this thread you'll see that we've had ongoing issues with people coloring outside the lines since pretty much day one. The purposes for which I wanted to use Facebook Groups (driving traffic to SMNetwork and maintaining the brand) are better suited to a page. The purposes for which the members wanted to use our Facebook Group (self promotion and discussion) are better suited to all the other stage management related Facebook groups that don't have a beastly forum like this to back them up.

I'd been planning to shut it down when I had time to properly convert it to a page, but that timeframe got shortened by Fernandez. His behavior was the last straw since it came in during my first vacation in 2 years and pretty much ruined it.

The Facebook Group has taken considerably more time to maintain than the entirety the forums. Every day I would turn down 3-4 requests to join from young SMs who had not read the rules. The spam onslaught - mostly held off by server-side controls here on the forums - is a veritable flood over there.

If Fernandez's behavior is as consistently bad as many of you have stated both here and in my PM box, I would suggest that you guys step up and say something about it. Someone with that lack of self control should not be working in positions where he has to oversee the safety of cast & crew.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2015, 09:08 pm »
Yep, that sucks.
Well done, Michael...
Ordo ab chao

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2015, 02:45 pm »
Facebook does not make it possible to see a groups intent and rules before requesting membership.

Even though I have made it clear all over the group that it's only for news pertaining to SMNetwork and not a general stage management discussion group, people have continued to post off-topic material, in particular one very rude individual by the name of Michael Fernandez who has been using the group as his personal employment search site.

It is chiefly the fault of Mr. Fernandez that the group is going away, as his response to my message asking him to stop posting job search requests to the group was met with a rude instruction to "get a life."

In order to shut down the group I have to remove all 300+ members one at a time, so it will take me a few days to make it go away entirely. I'll probably replace it with a fan page somewhere further down the line when I'm not so steamed about the whole debacle.

I think we should make a "I"m a fan of PSMKay" fan page. :) Sorry the group had to be removed, but at least this place is still going strong!
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2015, 02:51 pm by DeeCap »

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2015, 05:41 pm »
I've been keeping an eye on the person in question for quite a while myself, and noticed the same things. Then I found someone who had worked with him. Let this be a lesson to all....

Sorry to see the group go, but understand.
Erin

riotous