Author Topic: Do you attend award ceremonies?  (Read 3615 times)

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
  • Experience: Professional
Do you attend award ceremonies?
« on: Sep 22, 2018, 09:49 am »
If a show you've worked on has been nominated for an award, do any of you fellow SMs attend the award ceremony?
     I've been lucky to work on a number of shows the past few years that have been nominated for big, local awards. I've considered going to the ceremony as a show of continuing support to the show, and my wonderful casts. But my theatre always invites me as an  afterthought; typically just forwarding me the invite e-mail they already sent to cast, directors, and designers. It leaves me feeling rather disinclined to attend.
     Any thoughts?
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

BilOregon

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: You're a Good Man Charlie Brown (August) - The Hunchback of Notre Dame (October) - Elf: The Musical (December)
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: Do you attend award ceremonies?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2018, 10:56 pm »
I only work in community theatre, and I only work in one.  They have an awards show, "The Spotlight Awards", every other year.  There are awards for design (lighting, set, costumes, etc.), acting, singing, & directing awards.  These are voted on by other actors & the community after being nominated by the Artistic Committee.

I've gone to everyone for the last 8 years.  I enjoyed going to them even knowing I wasn't going to get an award.  Two award shows ago they started giving awards for Technical Theatre (SM, construction, lighting, sound, etc.).  It was a surprise, these awards were not voted on by the community, but the artistic committee polled a number of actors & directors.    I've been honored to have been recognized during the last two for Top Stage Manager.  I enjoyed the award shows before they started giving tech awards.  It was great to see friends I had made from previous shows.  I do have to say it's even better now that they are giving awards. 

Good luck!

2018ctaward by Bil Morrill, on Flickr

ColinMi

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: Do you attend award ceremonies?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2018, 06:34 am »
I usually attend award ceremonies to support friends and/or colleagues. And that's about it. Not too crazy about them otherwise.

riotous