Author Topic: Directors Giving Notes after Opening  (Read 4969 times)

TPatrick

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Directors Giving Notes after Opening
« on: Mar 19, 2017, 04:36 pm »
I am directing a show in Camden, NJ that is community theatre, even though they bill themselves as professional.  It is non Equity and basically community theatre actors.

We opened 2 weeks ago and attended the show this past Friday.  One of the actors has altered her costume and I contacted the stage manager to let her know to tell the actor it needs to be readded.

A Board rep informed me that I am not allowed to give notes or talk to the cast after we opened.

This was not agreed on and not in contract with the company.

I have been looking on line to see if there are any rules pertaining to this - even in actors Equity.  Am I correct that as the shows director that when there are issues such as this, that there are no rules about this.

Thanks

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Directors Giving Notes after Opening
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2017, 02:29 pm »
There are no AEA Rules about this.  Actors get notes all the time during the run.

How those notes are given vary - but you went by the most common protocol, giving the note to the SM, who would make sure the note was carried out.

I've worked on AEA shows where the director typed up notes and gave them after every show.

It really varies . . .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

TPatrick

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2017, 02:38 pm »
Thanks Matthew
That was the route that I went, using the stage manager to give the costuming note.
I dropped in the show 2nd weekend and went up to the green room to say hi to the cast.  One of the cast asked me about trying something different and told him not to since the show was locked and the adjustment may throw the scene.  As I was coming down the hall one of the Board members grabbed me and said "You weren't in there giving notes were you"?  I didn't feel like taking the issue up with her that if I wanted to give a note I would.  Now with this latest problem child and her costume, I thought it best to involve the stage manager but have an argument ready if this Board member questioned me again.  Thanks for the verification

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2017, 10:16 am »
It's a community theatre and they each have their own culture and rules. Others have already posted about what would be Equity rules, practices and etiquette. I would just like to offer that if the Board really has this house rule for their shows, you choices are:

1. Meet with the Board and convince them they are wrong. Maybe you can get them to change their policy.
2. Give your notes to the SM. Let them communicate all notes to the cast and report back to you.
3. Continue to do what you are doing, knowing that it will cause bad feelings with the Board, and make your peace with the fact that they may not ask you to direct there again.

Those are your three choices as I see them.  No union rules cover this theatre and the Board is free to run things as they see fit.

I am directing a show in Camden, NJ that is community theatre, even though they bill themselves as professional.  It is non Equity and basically community theatre actors.

We opened 2 weeks ago and attended the show this past Friday.  One of the actors has altered her costume and I contacted the stage manager to let her know to tell the actor it needs to be readded.

A Board rep informed me that I am not allowed to give notes or talk to the cast after we opened.

This was not agreed on and not in contract with the company.

I have been looking on line to see if there are any rules pertaining to this - even in actors Equity.  Am I correct that as the shows director that when there are issues such as this, that there are no rules about this.

Thanks
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

riotous